Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took off about 9:15 am from Orange (CA) and ended up in Anaheim Hills, for any of you local So. Cal-ers. I have a heck of a time going up hills being a big boy and all, and by the time we got to the top of each hill, I was drenched in sweat and out of breath, spinning like mad in my granny gear. It seemed like everywhere we went there was another decent sized hill to climb up. After we did a bit of climbing we headed back to Orange and hopped on the Santa Ana riverbed trail and took it to the beach and back. All in all about 45 miles or so, maybe more.

Might not seem like a ton to most people, but with the amount of climbing we did at first, in comparison to how much I've done before (nearly none) I'm pretty darn proud of myself, especially when combined with the distance we did afterwards. The most I've done before that is probably in the mid to high 20's, I believe, and all on flat ground.

I learned a few things though: 1) I need a new saddle. My rear is very sore and tender. Ouch, is all I can say. 2) My buddy Tim is a kick @ss guy for putting up with my slow, sweaty, complaning @ass ;) And 3) I've never been so sore, tired, and funky in my life, and I loved every minute of it, no matter how much I was cussing getting up those hills. I feel great right now, and I'm going to sleep even better.

Also, on the weight update: I've already had to add an extra notch to my belt, and it feels like it's nearly time to add another. Thanks for all the support, guidance, and information everyone. I don't know how I'll thank all of you when I reach my goal. Much love,

joe

·
Registered
105 Posts
Awesome!

That's great! 45 is a long way, don't discount it all. I am glad to hear you are getting the IRO. But, you might have to drill some new holes in your belt, because it's only going to loosen up now on that bike as you get smaller :D
It's nice doing a long ride like that; now 20 to 30 will be a cake walk for you!

See ya
MN Dan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congrats!!

Keep up the good work...soon hills will become routine and the fun part of riding to look forward to... what may be an obstacle now will just be another part of the trip to get past to reach your destination.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
It just keeps getting better

I was right where you were a year ago. So far I have ridden off 60 pounds and have done a 80 miller. I remember the first time I did 45 miles, I was thrilled but dead. Now 45 is easy. Had the same saddle problems and it's better now, but I still have a sore but after 40 or 50 miles. It may be that all my extra weight on my rear is just too much. I'm still working on that. Keep it up.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
$#&!#@$ Awesome!

What a great ride! Very happy for you.

A few thoughts:

1) Keep pushing yourself on distance. You'll be surprised what you can accomplish.
2) Saddles are one of the hardest things to get right, and also one of the most important. I'm not sure if you have a good relationship with any LBSes down in OC, but it would be great if they would let you try some saddles on long rides. I've been lucky enough to do that with a few shops in Santa Monica/Manhattan Beach. Most saddles will feel ok for the first 20 miles or so, so it's difficult to tell by riding around the block a few times.
3) You may want to consider a Brooks. Wallingford Bike has an excellent, 6-month return policy. I have a Brooks on two of my three bikes.
4) In my experience, when cycling crosses the threshold from goal-oriented (losing weight, getting fit, etc.) to pleasure-oriented, your weight will really start to fly off.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been considering a Brooks for a little while now, and now that I hear about a 6 month return policy, I think that just might have convinced me. The only concern I had with them was that there is no sort of love canal on them. That doesn't seem to bother most people that ride them, but I figure that most people who ride them are about half my size ;)

joe

·
Registered
65 Posts
Way to go Joe!

You're on the verge of doing a metric century (~62 miles).

Don't be tempted to over do it or you may burn out.

But then again . . . I always say it's better to burn out than to fade away . . .
:rolleyes:
:)

·
Registered
789 Posts
Persistent consistency.

My hat off to you, Sir! If more people would apply and reproduce your tenacious apllication of will, this world would be less sickly and in less debt for skyrocketting medical healthcare. I commend you too. And it is only to get better for you, if you persist in consistent and avid cycling. See, our fat cells can work for or against us. When we gain weight, they increased in size: producing more free fatty acids- cholesterol-and increasing the levels of leptin- a chemical that helps control our saciety with food. Somehow our bodies get too much of this leptin, and we get "resistance"- our brain does not know when our stomach is full- and we get heavier and fatter! But when we increase our energy output, burning more calories with avid cycling, our fat cells get to shrink in size and start controlling our leptin levels, so our brains recognize our stomachs are full, and also minimize the production of harmful free fatty acids: so we get a better cholesterol profile, start LOOKING AND FEELING BETTER! Again: CONGRATS!
JoeDaddio said:
We took off about 9:15 am from Orange (CA) and ended up in Anaheim Hills, for any of you local So. Cal-ers. I have a heck of a time going up hills being a big boy and all, and by the time we got to the top of each hill, I was drenched in sweat and out of breath, spinning like mad in my granny gear. It seemed like everywhere we went there was another decent sized hill to climb up. After we did a bit of climbing we headed back to Orange and hopped on the Santa Ana riverbed trail and took it to the beach and back. All in all about 45 miles or so, maybe more.

Might not seem like a ton to most people, but with the amount of climbing we did at first, in comparison to how much I've done before (nearly none) I'm pretty darn proud of myself, especially when combined with the distance we did afterwards. The most I've done before that is probably in the mid to high 20's, I believe, and all on flat ground.

I learned a few things though: 1) I need a new saddle. My rear is very sore and tender. Ouch, is all I can say. 2) My buddy Tim is a kick @ss guy for putting up with my slow, sweaty, complaning @ass ;) And 3) I've never been so sore, tired, and funky in my life, and I loved every minute of it, no matter how much I was cussing getting up those hills. I feel great right now, and I'm going to sleep even better.

Also, on the weight update: I've already had to add an extra notch to my belt, and it feels like it's nearly time to add another. Thanks for all the support, guidance, and information everyone. I don't know how I'll thank all of you when I reach my goal. Much love,

joe

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,668 Posts
IIRC, we're about the same size (but I think you're taller than me). I have a Brooks Team Pro and it is far and away the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden. Short break in period with a little discomfort, but after that it's a second skin. I also have the stock seat with channel, and a Selle Italia Trans Am on my touring bike (which will soon be sporting a Brooks B17) and they aren't nearly as comfortable as my Brooks.

My only problem was finding that just perfect position and angle. Once I got that dialed in though... perfection. My longest rides are around 70 miles. You will have to develop some new tough spots down under, but after that you're set.

Congrats on the new distance record too!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
I've been considering a Brooks for a little while now, and now that I hear about a 6 month return policy, I think that just might have convinced me. The only concern I had with them was that there is no sort of love canal on them. That doesn't seem to bother most people that ride them, but I figure that most people who ride them are about half my size ;)

joe
look here http://www.mcmwin.com/saddle shop.htm

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Near as I can tell, the bigger you are the better a Brooks works.

JoeDaddio said:
joe
Since you have more weight on the thing the quicker it forms itself to your bottom. (It takes Miss M a really long time to break one in seeing as how she weighs maybe 100lbs when she puts 10 lbs of stuff in her pack). Also on a Brooks you may find yourself needing a seatpost with more setback.

Well worth a try.

·
professional lurker
460 Posts
Hey man, congrats! It's always cool to ride longer than you have ever gone before. By this time next year I will predict that you will have a century or two under your belt. Give the saddle (and your taint) some more break in time. It takes me a little while to break one in and if you switch too often, your body will never get used to the seat (or the seat your body)!

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Congrats and keep climbing those hills as often as you can fit it in. You'll see the weight slide off even faster. Trust me, the amount of calories you burn going up those things is incredible. I have the advantage, or maybe disadvantage, of living in the Sierras. Everything is up around here. I lost 10 pounds over the summer and my legs felt better than ever riding up and down the passes to Tahoe. If time was short I wouldn't go for distance. I would just aim for the nearest pass and start climbing. Again, congratulations and keep it up.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Pat yourself on the back Joe!

Like the others have said, don't discount your 45 miles. I know how it feels to push yourself when you're really wanting to just stop and lay down.

45 miles is not a short distance. Most cyclists don't do 45 miles on a regular basis. When I'm training during road or cyclocross season I still only do about 28 miles when I get home from work. But when I do put in a big effort and do a long long road ride, I feel fantastic for it (even if i can bearly summon the strength to make a big healthy meal afterwords).

Keep up the good work and on your next long ride, shoot for atleast 45 miles and then try to squeak in an extra 5 or 10!

Great job!
Arby

1 - 19 of 19 Posts