Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Any chance that with both Basso and Guitterez apparently being named in the Peurto report that Simoni will be declared the winner?
Only if he isn't caught too. Basso's case is interesting since his name came up once early and then never came up again, where all the others have reappeared with more detail. I guess we will know on Friday after the Spanish and French sports ministers get done reading the report.

Though when Basso was interviewed about it during the Giro he looked very nervous I kind of doubt he will be implicated in Spain because Riis seems to have brought everything in- house to have more control and avoid getting caught because of a third party's carelessness. It seems they knew something was coming since Basso went on the offensive in press conferences a couple weeks prior distancing himself from Cecchini saying he canned him last summer and has worked only with Barnie.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
terzo rene said:
Only if he isn't caught too. Basso's case is interesting since his name came up once early and then never came up again, where all the others have reappeared with more detail. I guess we will know on Friday after the Spanish and French sports ministers get done reading the report.
On El Pais' website, which cycling4all sites as it's source (El Pais, not necessarily it's web edition) there is no mention of Basso as of now.

·
Looking for my Amish Love
948 Posts
well on Yahoo there is mention of Basso:
"Italy's Ivan Basso (CSC/Den) undergoes a medical check-up with Tour de France doctor Gerard Porte two days before the official start of the 93rd Tour de France cycling race, 29 June 2006 in Strasbourg. Ivan Basso has been named in Spain's judicial investigation into blood doping, Spanish radio Cadena Ser reported today. AFP "

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/photo?slug=getty-tdf2006-doping-basso_10_57_20_am&prov=getty

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
All the divergent reports are making this difficult regarding Basso but there does seem to be a fairly consistent core list. Cyclingnews is reporting that Spanish authorities requested blood samples from last year's Tour to match up to what they seized which should settle it pretty well.

But if I were their attorney's I would argue that only proves intent since the fact that it's there means they obviously didn't use it. Still wouldn't keep them in the Tour though.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
If Basso and Gutierrez didn't flunk a doping control test at the Giro, I don't know how they can be disqualified even if they are fully involved in the Operacion Puerto mess. Remember that Tyler Hamilton kept his gold medal because they goofed on his B sample, so he technically did not fail his Athens drug test. In the Heras situation, he flat-out failed his last Vuelta test after the last stage ITT, so he got disqualified.

I think we all know Gutierrez had no rational reason to be second in the Giro (coming out of nowhere), but he didn't fail any Giro control test.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, realistically that is how I see it. And I bet the clearly wronged "big-mouth" Simoni doesn't even offer up a word of protest over having his Giro stolen by a couple of dopers (assuming this all pans out and Basso is involved as well as Guitterez).

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
well the issue is blood packing

and when it is your own blood it is hard to tell. they have some methods but they aren't so foolproof. I think intent is enough to get some sort of punishment metered out.

Simoni will keep quiet, my guess is since everyone lives in a glass house.....

remember he's still in the top 10 for excuses.

The cocaine must have been from the dentist, no wait it was from that South American Candy my auntie sent"

he should just said it was an off season celebration a la Jan Ullrich.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
atpjunkie said:
he should just said it was an off season celebration a la Jan Ullrich.
Except that is was during the Giro which is a long way from off season (even for Jan).

It is an interesting question whether anything, other than a lot of riders being excluded from the Tour, comes out of this. Fuentes doesn't seem inclined to testify against anyone and nobody has tested positive so without reading all the pages of governing rules it's hard to see how the riders could get sanctioned without an admission of guilt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.