Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I drove North of Colorado Springs to an area known as the Greenland Open Space where they do the 24 Hours of ERock. I thought the course may give me some good training. 3 loops down at about 45 minutes each. Its giving me ideas :devil: .
The only way I did it different than the 24hr course is that I rode it backwards all three laps.....not sure why. The bike did really well, even in the deeper sand that I would occasionally find. The only real obstacles were the four women on horseback that thought trail etiquite meant that I was not supposed to be there and insisted on riding 4 a breast on what really isnt even double track, then making it as awkward as possible to yield to them. I tell ya.......

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
I love riding my CX bike on trails, but apart from a few courses in CA I've never seen much MTB worthy terrain in a cross race. Its all tight turns, off camber and constant transitions from one type of terrain to another.

I think it would be more realistic to put together a practice course that raced around the parking and camping areas and did a short out-and-back on one or two of the actual trails. Looks like there could be plenty of opportunities to transition between pavement/dirt/grass/sand.

Nice bike.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
I love riding my CX bike on trails, but apart from a few courses in CA I've never seen much MTB worthy terrain in a cross race. Its all tight turns, off camber and constant transitions from one type of terrain to another.

I think it would be more realistic to put together a practice course that raced around the parking and camping areas and did a short out-and-back on one or two of the actual trails. Looks like there could be plenty of opportunities to transition between pavement/dirt/grass/sand.

Nice bike.
Agreed...this was basically endurance training and and wanted to check the course out as I may race it this coming year and wanted to see how my bike would do if I decided to try and CX it :).

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
Are you thinking of racing solo or on a team? I raced 3 laps for a team at the 05 24HR race at Laguna Seca on my "cyclocross" bike :D
That thing is AWESOME....I really would like to build up a crosscheck like that...thats a KM though right?

I was thinking Solo for the '08 24hrs of ERock.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Yep. Its a KM -- gone now and I sure miss it.

I have a Soma Double Cross that can take nearly as big a tire in the stock fork (2.1"). I'm not sure if the Cross Check has quite that much clearance these days.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
Yep. Its a KM -- gone now and I sure miss it.

I have a Soma Double Cross that can take nearly as big a tire in the stock fork (2.1"). I'm not sure if the Cross Check has quite that much clearance these days.

CC take up to a 45mm I think....???

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
If so then the Panaracer FireCross is a fun tire. I would try to confirm that though because I think that fork clearance was reduced at some point.
Maybe it was bigger to begin with, I rechecked and 45's fit fine according to Surly.
You'd think I had enough bikes but having a fixie/free CC would just be the cats azz.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.