Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from people you see on the road? Like, dude your seat's too low or high, or you should try pedaling at a higher cadence, or single file… or whatever.

What did you do?
1. ignore it
2. take the advice
3. say thank you
4. punch them in the face

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Yes. First time ever with a fast group. Was 14 years old. After the ride broke up I happened to be headed the same way as one of the guys. He said something to the effect of "kid, you rode ok. Just put some effin oil on your chain or I'll put you into a mailbox"

27 years later, that dude's my best friend in the world.
And I still don't take care of my bikes to his satisfaction.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hahaha.....as someone who rides for pure fitness most days....when the tdf wannbees ride past at 12000km/hr and then you catch them struggling up a hill, they still time find to offer me advice...I smile and say 'thanks loyd!"

By the time they turn around to give me the finger theres a good chance theyre heading for a lightpole!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yep. I had a guy come up from behind me on a ride and tell me I was pushing more with my right leg than my left. At first I was pissed, but then I thought it wouldn't hurt to consider the advice.

I'm not sure he was right, because I broke my foot when I was a teenager and there is quite a bone callus right under the ball of my left foot and this makes me a little asymmetrical. But, I paid more attention to my pedal stroke, how I held the bars, how I sat on the saddle, how I pushed on hills etc.

The upshot is that I think that I pedal more smoothly and don't grip the bars as tightly when pushing up hills as I did before this guy gave me that advice. And it is easier for me to pedal no-handed. Even if he was wrong, he did me a good turn. So, thanks, whoever you are.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yes, but it would have been physically impossible for me to comply.
At least I think my seat would not fit up there...

·
Registered
642 Posts
The route I ride is the route also taken by teams and group rides. As a solo recreational/fitness rider, the best I can hope for is total indifference.

However, one guy I used to see occasionally, in full team kit, would give me palm down as he passed. I though it was a wave of some sort. One day I happen to pull in behind him and his riding partner and he was giving all kinds of hand singles, one of them being palm down. I looked it up. Every time he saw me, it seems, he was telling me to slow down. I thought, well that’s arrogance. How could he possibly know what kind of workout I was doing? Or could it be that my mouth was hanging open and I was blue in the face. I never took his advice and slowed down, my cardio has just gotten better.

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Never had anyone give me advice like that on the road.. but I sure have on my mountain bike.

I had just gotten a new set of Avid BB7 disk brakes for my bike.. I installed them and set them all up myself. Never doing this before I referred to pics I found online and such. Out on the trail a few hours later I run into a group of 8 or so guys so I talk with them and decide to tag along when they offered. After the ride the "lead" rider looks at my bike and comes out of nowhere to say I have them set up all wrong and that I'm going to damage my new brakes because of it.

So.. There was nothing wrong with my setup.. He just had a different opinion. Was still rather entertaining.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Not for many years.
My response would be determined by who gave it to me. If I got it from someone who is higher in the food chain, I would be polite, and would think about what he (or she) said, before discarding it. If it was from some wanker, I'd knock him on his ass.

·
banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
I was riding home from work in a bike lane. I was riding on the right side of the road. Some mommy was riding in the bike lane, going the wrong direction, with her two kids riding their bikes on the sidewalk next to her. None of them was wearing a helmet, by the way. She yelled at me for riding on the wrong side of the road!!! She told me that bikes are supposed to go against traffic. I just blew it off, and didn't say anything. Its people like that that will get me killed some day though.

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
At college most of the students that rode bikes for transportation had no clue about the rules of the road. Cutting off cars crossing streets.. riding on sidewalk and pissing off grannies with little kids.. you name it they did it. I'm greatly amazed no one gets hurt because of all this.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
superjohnny said:
I usually just say thanks, but one time this guy was really hassling me about my tail-light being too droopy. I finally had to be a little blunt just to get him to piss off.
I had the same thing happen with a guy who was mother-henning me about listening to tunes. After trying to be nice about it, he just wouldn't let it go so I had to tell him to mind his own friggin' business. Then he got mad at me!

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Well, you can get lots of unsolicited advice from folks right here (of course you dont have to be riding for that).

Havent gotten any in quite a while, it depends on who it comes from and how it was presented. I have offered beginners advice when their seats are too low and their knees are shooting out into traffic :D , but again its how its done. I just ride up next to them and tell them its something they may want to consider-- if they dont, I dont care, just trying to help.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Not from total strangers on the road...but one guy in particular on my team (a former CAT 1 racer) has been giving me advice on climbing and tapering for specific races...which has been appreciated.

The only advice I've given to total strangers actually happened on a ride yesterday.

The guy flew through a stop sign at about 15 mph into a left hand turn, and about got flattened by a guy on a motorcycle that didn't have to stop (T intersection) and was doing about 50 mph. The cyclist missed the guy on a motorcycle by about 1/2 a second. That collision would have been brutal because both riders would have been seriously messed up.

I was coming up behind the idiot on the bicycle, rode up beside him and slowed down. I then politely told him: Running stop signs is a quick way to get killed and he was making all cyclists look bad...much appreciated :mad2:

Then I rode off and hopefully pissed the guy off enough he will think about running stop signs in the future.

Unsolicited advice that I'm sure he will ignore and probably become some guys hood ornament in the future :idea:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I haven't gotten any for a long time. I try real hard not to give any either, unless it's equipment that threatens imminent failure.

·
Does it matter?
760 Posts
I gave some

I gave some guy some advice. He appeared to be a new rider to me. He had a new road bike with toe clips and tennis shoes, and was riding with black baggy shorts and a black t-shirt, and black helmet the reason I mention this, is that he was riding on the newly "black topped" highway and it was kind of hard for me to see him when I came up from behind. I passed him, then later after a light (and some thought) a let him pass, then came up beside him and told him that it was hard to see him and that for safety he should try some lighter colors out here, I told him it was hard for me to see him against the highway surface from a distance with his black outfit. If it wasn't for his white shoes, he'd just about disappear into the surface.

You think I was out of line saying something?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.