Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to people you see on the road? Like, dude your seats to low or high, or you should try pedaling at a higher cadence or single file… or whatever. I never do. I always bite my tongue and steer around them. Who am I to give advice anyway? The other day I did, and got a dose of humility.

My morning commute takes me along the main route for joggers, biker, and dog walkers. This particular morning, I’m sitting at a four way flashing red watching a 50ish woman jog across the intersection. On one knee she has some orthopedic looking device and the other knee was wrapped with an ace bandage. She was hunched over and hobbling slowly. I rolled down my window and shouted, “you should get a bike lady”. She shot me look that could have been interpreted as distain, but was probably pain. As I watched her drag herself down the road, I pulled into the intersection and almost hit a lady, of the same description, on a bike. Still in the saddle, she popped out of her pedals and tried to get her feet on the ground. She wobbled along for a bit, feet dangling. She tried to reinsert her cleats but had lost too much momentum and came to an awkward stop. She looked back at me and all I could do is smile and shrug, yeah I’m a jerk.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
i once told someone to get their knees in while they were riding a tri bike. their knees were so far out, it looked like they had wings. i felt like a jerk, so i stopped giving riding advice.

i will, however, try to point out something i find dangerous, like brakes on eth wrong sides on the fork, forks on backwards, open quick release levers, and brakes still in QR open mode.

once i did tell a guy that both his and his daughters forks were on backwards. he started to argue with me. "trust me. the forks are on backwards. could be why she is having trouble learning how to ride. look at your wifes bike. hers is right. i would take the bikes back to the shop where you bought them and have the shop put the forks on right. maybe even contact trek to tell them a dealer is assembling bikes wrong."
"well, these are custom treks. i got them direct from trek through the mail. so the forks are right."
"first, im surprised trek mailed a bike to you. i thought they only went through dealers. second, i didnt think trek made custom bikes other than the project one model. third, even if they were custom and sent directly to your house, why is the fork on your wifes bike different than yours? they are the same bike."
"well, her fork must be wrong then."
i gave up.

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
Buy low, sell high.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
El Scorcho said:
I have told a few Marco Pantani wannabees in my area to "get a helmet." I should just leave them alone and let nature take over, survival of the fittest.
Well, having been on the receiving end of these silly "where's your helmet?" shouts, I can tell you that it might be best just to keep quiet. :D

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
No. If I don't know them, why would I care?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have never said anything but I too have bitten the tongue many times. It really is surprising to see how many people ride with their knees way out. The only times I speak up is when somebody (usually inexperienced casual rider) is riding down the wrong side of the road.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
... I can't shut up... once I get started...

But I usually keep quiet unless it's something so glaring as to cause concern for either my or other's safety. I'm a believer in Mark Twain's "better to remain silent and be thought the fool"...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I commute by bike to work several times a week and I'm often tempted to say something to those "special" cyclists who feel exempt from traffic laws. You know, the ones with attitude who give us all a poor image.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Do you do the same thing to cars?
Do you blow your horn at drivers who exceed the speed limit or who fail to come to a complete stop at stop signs? What about failure to use turn signals?

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
I give unsolicited explodes.

For example:

OP: "blah blah blah, carbon fiber blah blah fail blah blah broke"

ME: "Explode!"

·
Registered
339 Posts
Not only do I not give unsolicited advice, I usually dread seeing someone else on the road. Do I have to wave or be perceived as a jerk? If I pass someone, am I a Pantani-wannabe? How about queing up at stop lights... On the other hand, sometimes I'm a chatter box. Go figure?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.