Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Did you participate in Bike To Work Day?

• Yes. And I commute regularly by bike already.

Votes: 95 60.9%
  • Yes. And it was the first time I've ever ridden to work.

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • No, but I really really wanted to! Enter excuse here______

Votes: 21 13.5%
  • No. It's too far/dangerous/difficult for me to ride to work.

Votes: 19 12.2%
  • I work from home.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I'm a student.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I wish I had a job to ride to. Please send money!

Votes: 3 1.9%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
It's all ball bearings
5,285 Posts
No. It's too far/dangerous/difficult for me to ride to work.

38 miles each direction and I'd have to ride on the interstate for 10 miles during rush hour (this particular stretch of interstate is littered with broken glass, parts of car crashes, and other junk).

Looking forward to a new job that allows me to ride to work every day.

·
Registered
189 Posts
No, but I really really wanted to! Enter excuse here_rain_

Once again here in New England, for what seems like the who-knows-what day in a row, it's raining. And not just lightly where I might consider riding it but pouring buckets. I did ride Wednesday and Thursday though... does that count?

PCM

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
bike 2 work

I rode to work today, but your poll is faulty. It only gives two mutually exclusive options if you rode to work. One, do you ride to work all the time. Or, two, was this the first time. For me it was neither, because I ride to work occasionally, but I chose No. 1 because it certainly wasn't my first time.

I had a nice ride to work. It was chilly (47), so I had to wear a few more layers of clothes than I had planned. Traffic was light when I left at 6:40 but that usually isn't the problem for me. Going home is when the traffic gets bad, and I am always nervous about the return trip. My route follows a marked city bike route, but about 2 miles of the 10-mile route goes on a very busy 4-lane road with no bike lane. It's not too busy at 6:45 am, but the traffic is usually heavy in the afternoon.

I planned ahead this time and brought a gym bag to work yesterday with some clothes, towel, shoes, soap, etc. for getting dressed this morning. That made the trip to work this morning much nicer because I didn't have to carry a backpack with all of my clothes. Unfortunately I forgot my key and ID card for our office so couldn't get in the normal entrance at our building. Had to ride around to the front entrance and then walk through the whole building with my bike. Still managed to get showered, dressed and at my desk by my normal time, 7:30 a.m.

My route was 9.75 miles and I rode to work in 39 minutes including traffic lights, etc. Not too bad as I was taking it easy. I'll tack on a few extra miles on the way home so I'll end up with 20-25 miles for the day.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
What is so special about Thursday? I ride to work everyday.

Hollywood said:
did you ride to work on Thursday?
BTW Friday (today) is "Bike to Work" day in DC.

The organizers said they had 6,700 riders but I swear I didn't see more than 6,000.:D

I'll post tonight if any of my pix came out.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Excuse: What the heck do I do with my bike once I get to work?

I've had so many bikes stolen even total beater bikes that I just had no idea what I could safely do with my bike while at the office, if it wasn't for bike couriers and the whole they must leave their bike outside thing then I would probably be able to just walk past security with it and take it up to my office but I can't see that happening.

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
I tried the "walk it past security" thing and failed. Miserably. There are side entrances, but they are revolving doors and could really mess things up if I got hung up on something.

sigh

First time riding to work. I have zero excuses to not do it every single day. Easiest commute ever and hardly any traffic. I'm a ##### basically.

·
Registered
339 Posts
So what do people do with their bikes while at the office? Chain them to a bike rack in the parking garage? You see I would be afraid to do even that especially given the quality of a lot of the parking attendants and security guards over here.

After having a bike stolen from a second floor balcony within an apartment complex with someone who must have had a ladder to get up there and some boltcutters to clip the somewhat heavy chain I had on there I am somewhat apprehensive about leaving any of my bikes anywhere that isn't 100% secure or close enough to it. Maybe I can ride with our dog to work and chain her with the bike so she can guard it? :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
No, but I really really wanted to! Enter excuse here:

I usually ride to work every day. Tuesday I had a nasty saddle sore flare up, and I am doing my first century of the year on Saturday. No other choice but time out of the saddle. I had my wife drop me off for the last 3 days and I think I should be fine for tomorrow.

·
Registered
48 Posts
guess I was the only one in my city...

since I didn't see one other rider. I take a route that is popular among cyclist too. I try to ride to work twice a week. Funny thing is, with all of the traffic in Memphis it only takes me 10 more minutes by bike than by car(12 mile one way). Makes me wonder why I don't ride everyday.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
jaseone said:
So what do people do with their bikes while at the office? :D
I keep my bike in the file room across the corridor from my office.

I work on the 21st Floor of a highrise office building. When my firm moved into the building, I told building management that I would be bringing a bike to work for time to time. They said OK. Then after we signed on the dotted line and I actually appeared with my bike, the building guards initially were not as bike-friendly. After a few calls to the building management, we worked out a compromise -- I bring my bike through the underground garage and bring it up to my office on the freight elevator. At night, I just bring it down on the regular elevator and through the front lobby (I usually leave long after 5:00 rush to get out of the building).

Based on my experience and the experience of others who work in office buildings, the best way to get your bike into the building and secured is to talk to the building management people at the higher end of the food chain. People like security guards and maintenance personnel usually are not bike friendly because they feel the need to cover their @ss and have a narrow view of what is allowed and what is not. People higher up in the food chain usually have some need to please tenants. Once the higher ups say it is OK, the front line people are OK, too.

If you bring your bike on the elevator, one thing have learned to do is to make sure that the chain side of the bike is against one of the side walls of the elevator. I never used to think about it until a woman wearing white pants came within a fraction of an inch of my chain.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I lock mine to a railing in the parking garage of my building. I use a U-lock with a cable that I loop through both wheels. The U-lock then goes around the railing and the downtube. The railing is right next to the elevators and is not near the entrance to the garage so my bike isn't visible to anyone who happens to be just walking by.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Well, I never fit into polls

Hollywood said:
did you ride to work on Thursday?

I rode to work on Thursday, but drove home with my wife. So this morning (Friday, Baltimore's bike to work day), I drove in again with my wife so that I could ride my bike, which spent the night at the office, home this afternoon. So, I did not ride to work today, but I will be riding home from work.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, no because.......

I'm retired. Not an option on the poll. However, I do have a part time job, but my last assignment was in Nashville, Tennessee, and I live in California, so...... Anyhow, when I did work full time riding was not an option due to transporting my daughter to and from school. We did have a few bike commuters though. You do what you can.:cool:

·
Government Mule
1,328 Posts
I do not wish to have a job, but please do not let that deter you from sending money! It isn't going to rain today so I'm gonna go for a ride on a bike with no fenders for a change. Might ride into the city and see if bikes are clogging up the Monon Trail this afternoon.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
storing bikes at work

Fortunately, I work in a building with no security guard and I can wheel my bike right into my office. We also have a bike rack outside, but I feel safer with my baby right here in my office where I can see it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No riding to work for me.164 miles round trip, up hill both ways, in the snow!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.