Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest why one would be better or worse than the other? They'll be ridden for training, no racing at all, which is for centuries and one-day rides that are sometimes a bit longer on a variety of roads. They'll be used on those rides as well. I'm expecting theyu'll be a good pair of quality wheels, but nothing super fancy. I'm looking for 9-speed dura ace hubs to build them on. TIA.

·
Banned
936 Posts
Can't lose one either.. .

bleckb said:
CThey'll be ridden for training, no racing at all, which is for centuries and one-day rides that are sometimes a bit longer on a variety of roads.
Both are excellent rims. IMO I'd go with the open pros as they are the most versitile of the two. On century rides the Opens will be comfortable depending on spoke count and arrangement. They are both gonna last MANY years.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Either rim is good... Open Pros are lighter, but CXP33s should be little stronger and maybe just a little more aero. If you'd like durable and fast (aero) wheels, I'd suggest a deeper rim and oval butted spokes like AE15s or CX-rays. The AE15s are very reasonably priced, <$1 each. Those hubs are a good choice.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I just went through the exact same decision process for the same hubs. I was leaning towards the cxp-33's as I am a heavier rider and thought they would be stronger. After talking to a few shops in my area and reviewing many posts on this forum I ended up using Velocity Aeroheads. Not for a specfic reason other than they were receommended over and over. My first ride on them won't be until tomorrow, so I can't report on them, but the final build looks nice and solid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts