Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have wondered about the frames on Ebay, here is the difference:

We have become aware of several counterfeit Pinarello frames making their way into the United States. Some of these frames are branded and painted to look like a Pinarello, but have obviously not been subject to the strict quality control and testing that genuine Pinarello frames must go through. Examples we have uncovered are easily recognized as they do not have Italian threaded bottom brackets, do not use proprietary Pinarello headsets and with imitation Dogma frames, accept a traditional round seat post.

Typically these frames are being supplied without the small parts, such as the bb cable guides, the seat post clamps and, in some cases the rear derailleur hangers. Genuine Pinarello parts typically do not fit on these frames.

It is important to realize these are not Pinarello frames, are not made in the Pinarello factory, are not made from the proprietary materials that are only available to Pinarello and are not subject to Pinarello's stringent quality controls. Therefore, they will in no way perform like a Pinarello bike nor can their safety or suitability for use be determined.

Since the origin of these frames cannot be determined there is almost certainly no manufacturer's warranty or liability insurance in place to protect buyers in cases of catastrophic failure. There are several instances on the internet of failures of counterfeit frames. As always, to be certain that you have a genuine Pinarello, be sure to deal with an authorized Pinarello dealer.

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
Mods should sticky this.

·
SteelSix
23 Posts
i have seen a chinarello and real one in the 2011 CDE colours (I own a 537) - the chinarello is easily spotted. it was without the shiny stick on pinarello decal on the head tube - the red was not the "diamond finish" glitter paint - wrong BB - wrong headtube - the naked carbon fibre bits were not the pinarello weave - the seatpost was round and did not have the proprietry DOGMA post clamp nor did it have the other branded accessories. Frankly you can tell the real ones were painted by italians and the fake ones were painted by well...

·
9,790 Posts
Sticky this, I say. It's nice to have the actual differences listed for future reference.

So much for the "extra production going out the door" theory...

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
For those that have wondered about the frames on Ebay, here is the difference:

We have become aware of several counterfeit Pinarello frames making their way into the United States. Some of these frames are branded and painted to look like a Pinarello, but have obviously not been subject to the strict quality control and testing that genuine Pinarello frames must go through. Examples we have uncovered are easily recognized as they do not have Italian threaded bottom brackets, do not use proprietary Pinarello headsets and with imitation Dogma frames, accept a traditional round seat post.

Typically these frames are being supplied without the small parts, such as the bb cable guides, the seat post clamps and, in some cases the rear derailleur hangers. Genuine Pinarello parts typically do not fit on these frames.

It is important to realize these are not Pinarello frames, are not made in the Pinarello factory, are not made from the proprietary materials that are only available to Pinarello and are not subject to Pinarello's stringent quality controls. Therefore, they will in no way perform like a Pinarello bike nor can their safety or suitability for use be determined.

Since the origin of these frames cannot be determined there is almost certainly no manufacturer's warranty or liability insurance in place to protect buyers in cases of catastrophic failure. There are several instances on the internet of failures of counterfeit frames. As always, to be certain that you have a genuine Pinarello, be sure to deal with an authorized Pinarello dealer.
Christ, I've been trying to point this out to the "it's all the same frame" fools for months.

Glad to see an actual dealer who's seen and handled these things weigh in. Thank you sir, for proving the point that you get what you pay for.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Sticky this, I say. It's nice to have the actual differences listed for future reference.

So much for the "extra production going out the door" theory...
C'mon Platy. Don't you know that the chinarello people are just "fighting the man, who's artificially inflating the price of everything??" Remember, we're just the idiots who actually buy legitimate, quality products. They're the forward thinking global economic forces that will shape the future.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
9,790 Posts

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts

·
SteelSix
23 Posts
if you cant tell the difference between that frame and a real Pinarello you don't deserve the latter!

It doesnt have the most labelled bb, seat clamp, headset etc. The rear chain stays arent shaped correctly, the top tube is way off, the BoB Dogma has the labels done in carbon weave on the frame etc etc etc.

If anyone thinks that its a good idea to ride that frame i'm sorry but you deserve the catastrophic frame failure that comes your way. Also it wont ride the same as the carbon a) isnt the same proprietary Torayaca carbon b) isnt laid up the same way or in the same shape 3) isnt supported by a 3 year frame warranty.

Chinarello's are for the cycling equivalent of people who think its the same to drive a corolla with a 911 body kit as the real thing...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Actually you would - when you ride past the Chinarello broken on the side of the road, you would easily be able to tell it is a fake :D
Hmmm...interesting. Considering that I've seen at least 3 broken real Princes and Dogmas in my neck of the woods (from minor crashes where other, ahem, less expensive bikes survived intact).I've seen Cannondale SuperSixes and others too. Stories of broken Chinarellos , considering how many people appear to be purchasing them, seem to be consistent with stories of brand name frames . Broken Treks are not that rare (remember their issue with broken steerers several months ago on the 6 series Madone?). And don't get me started on broken Cervelos...

Even in the threads in this forum, most issues seem to center on QC issues such as misaligned cable guides, cable adjuster bosses and threads that weren't properly masked prior to paint.

There's one additional feature that the OP missed: the Chinarellos use a clamp on FD as opposed to a braze on. Some earlier examples had external rear brake cable routing too. Looking closely, the frames are more similar to the FP than the Dogma as FP frames do have a round seat tube just like the Chinarellos. Frame weight , from references in this and other forums, seems to be about equal to the Dogma.

Granted, some of the painted examples of these frames are not the greatest, but the most recent efforts have greatly improved. Several guys around here have bought a few and they look quite good. Not original issue good but very , very close.

SteelSix mentioned that you can tell that the real ones were painted by Italians...glad he didn't make that statement in the 80s or 90s , when Italian frame finishes were not that great. Colnagos particularly...sometimes you could get examples that looked like they were painted by a 12 year old.

Mind you, I do not have one of these frames but I have been following the threads here and in other forums and felt the need to bring some additional info to this thread.

BTW, when did a frame having an Italian BB become synonymous with a frame having a good BB???

1 - 20 of 187 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.