Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old Chorus cranks chainrings are toast but rings are so damn expensive $$$ I figured I can pick up an entire crank and rings for less than rings alone. I'm talking older square taper cranks that use a 102mm axle by the way. Are the crank arms and spider the same on Chorus vs. Record? If not how are they different. Also what about the chainrings?

· Devoid of all flim-flam
7,365 Posts
I'm not sure what era and material you're talking about, but if you're talking Aluminum during the Ten Speed Era the Chorus crank consists of five spokes with the crank arm coming out from between two of the spokes; while the Record crank has four spokes with the crank arm being the "fifth" spoke.

When it comes to chainrings, I'm 99 and 44/100% sure that both cranksets used the same rings. I do know for sure that when the 39 ring on my Year 2000 Campy Chorus crank wore out, the Year 2007 Campy Record ring I replaced it with fit like the proverbial glove.

· Registered
610 Posts
And further to Mapei's comments, the BCD of the chainrings is the same between Chorus and Record (of similar vintage), but the large ring can't be swapped between versions due to the pin that is attached to the large ring that sits between the ring and the crank arm. Again, this is due to the record crank arm forming the 5th spoke as you desribed it, while on Chorus the crank arm is between the 5 spokes. Ignoring missaligned lettering, the small chainring should swap no problem between versions.

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went ahead and ordered the Chorus crank with 52/42 rings. $85. Individual rings were more like $150 apiece!!! I have an older Litespeed "94" I'm not into flash just function so these should work just fine. Thanks for the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.