Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read in a number of places that Euro frame geometry is more comfortable than US frame geometry. So what exactly defines Euro geometry versus US geometry. I have picked up bits and pieces that its more relaxed or something.

Can anyone give me examples?

· Registered
1,248 Posts
During the 1980s, European road racing bikes were designed mostly for stage races and thus had slacker seat tube angles for more comfort on long rides and more power when climbing. USA road racing bikes were designed mostly for criterium races, so had steeper seat tubes for faster acceleration out of corners and sprinting. Today, both types of bikes are available from both USA and European companies. LeMond bikes have always had Euro-style geometries.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What About Treks, Kleins and Cannondales?

Are they slacker or steeper? Are they designed more Euro style or criterion?

johnny99 said:
During the 1980s, European road racing bikes were designed mostly for stage races and thus had slacker seat tube angles for more comfort on long rides and more power when climbing. USA road racing bikes were designed mostly for criterium races, so had steeper seat tubes for faster acceleration out of corners and sprinting. Today, both types of bikes are available from both USA and European companies. LeMond bikes have always had Euro-style geometries.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Some European geometries included a lower bottom bracket that what was being made for the American market. Lower center of gravity so the bike handles better but it also put the pedals closer to the ground which for some people, made them ill suited to race criteriums. I always liked Euro geometry even though I was a pedal smacker back in the day.

· Registered
5,358 Posts
Even in the 80s european bikes didn't all have slacker angles than american ones-- for example the Vitus 979, probably the most popular frame in the pro peloton, had super steep 75 degree angles (varying some across the size range).

You can't generalize, you have to look at the frame geomtery for each frame. Of course with shaped tubing, carbon fiber, modern wonder steels, etc, its not just the frame angles that makes a difference for comfort. Although a frame with slacker angles and longer chain stays is probably built for more comfort, a racier frame can be made to be pretty comfortable too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.