Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
differences in hubs

There are huge differences between hubs on the market for fixed gear and track riding. Phil Wood is an excellent choice. I think that the hubs I make are better, but not because of a lack of quality, just because of design.

Lets look at a high end hub like Phil Wood, Chub, or Level Components.

#1. Compare the manufacturing tolorances of these types of hubs with a Surly, Performance, or Suzue hub.

Threads, The threads on a Phil or Chub hub are never flat on top, the other guys have threads that are not so clean.

Bearings, Phil, Chub, and Level, use ABEC 3 grade bearings with removeable seals. The other guys do not. Some people like the needle type bearings used in some lower end hubs claming that they can pack them with new grease easier. I know that our hub can be totally rebuilt with just your multi tool in less then 5 min. This includes popping in new bearings.

Flanges, A higher flange builds a stiffer stronger wheel. Chub, Phil, and Level build with the highest flange heights in the industry.

Small Batch building: A quality hub is not built by the millions, this cuts in on quality control, I am holding a striped Suzue hub that might have been stripped becuase of builder error, or because the assembly line process never caught the slight cross threaded section between the lockring threads and the cog threads.

There are lots of other things like customer support. Level components will send you upgraded parts for free, having delt with Phil Wood for years I have learned the they will replace a part under warrenty very easily. I have not had such luck with anyone else. Better materials inside and out, inovative design ideas, helpfull staff, longer life, and made in the USA, all tend to be things that drew me to Phil Wood products. You could say that it is what drives me to make my own track, fixed-gear, and single speed parts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Anything with a threaded lock ring and threaded cog is flawed

Ladies and Gentlmen, and lurkers of all ages. Gather round Gather round, its the greatest show in town. Watch as we free the world from threaded lock rings, and threaded cogs. It is easy, it is simple, and you can do it all in less time then it takes you to change a tube. Yes, this morning I set a personal best record for cog changes. 1min. and 43 sec. It is still slower then Scott, but what the hell. Whe I used to ride that other hub I had problems changing cogs. I needed a chain whip, and a lock ring tool.

Some day people will think of those as the archaic tools that they are. Already the track racers are begining to understand that it works. The I n I cog system will also allow for drive line adjustment. A straight chainline gives you the confidence to wonder about anything else. Built out of 6061 AL in CapeCod The Level components hub will really change your fixed gear ride. Removable 1 piece axle spacers allow you to run 120 and 135 out of tbe box. 126.5 and 130 available by order. Cog sizes from 14-20. Just let us know what you need.

Soon to come: Freewheel. (mounts to each side of the hub, a true flipflop design).
Disk Brake adaptor (Yeah I know that some people use those brake things
Stash Box (uh yeah you put your patches in it?)

www.levelcomponents.com

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.