Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Cheaper - Suze Pro Max aka the disco hub

One of the cheaper hubs that is definitely worth the money are Suzue Pro Max (known as discos due to the shiny almost hologram like label on them). Run about 70 bucks for a rear and I've never had a problem with mine.

Nice sealed bearings that seem to last. Only real problem is that you just have to watch out for some of them getting a little loose (same with any hub) over time. About the only other drawback is that like most cartridge bearing hubs they need a special tool to replace the bearings (Level seems to be the exception to this).

I've been thrashing one on my work wheel for a few years and its been problem free.

Sheldon Brown has a pretty good list of most of the available hubs at:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/fixed-hubs.html

Should give you some idea of quality vs price (they should also have level components hubs). I would say its worth investing money in your hub.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not wanting to get off topic - my nagging concern with Level Hubs

The beauty of the current system is that a ton of people make cogs, rings and hubs that all work (more or less) so its easy to get a new cog etc. Sure you have to be careful of installation etc but changing cogs is not something you generally need to do in a hurry unless you're competing in a number of events simultaneously at the track. Suzue make a lovely fixed/fixed NJS hub which also mitigates this problem. Chainline, granted, can be a problem to get right, but once its set you're pretty much sorted.

While I applaud the the inovation of the Level hubs, my biggest worry is that right now only Level are making the cogs for these hubs. Hopefully the hub (and the company) will be a roaring sucess but what if Level goes the way of some of the other inovaters in hubs such as Chub and the people who made the two speed fixie hub?

Level need to get other manufactures on board to make this work, which hopefully it will. But right now I like the fact I can walk into a number of bike stores and walk out with the parts I need to get rolling again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.