Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THe LBS I bought my bike from installed Look Keo Easy pedals however, I was billed for Look Keo Classics. Does anyone know the major differences between these two? I'm not sure if I should go back and tell them they charged me for the wrong models pedals. Or if they are basically the same..

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Retail difference is about $40, with the Easys cheaper. The Easys lack tension adjustment. I'd tell the LBS to either exchange the Easys for Classics or give you some store credit.

As a side note, the Easys are 40 grams/pair lighter than the Classics. Normally, less money means more weight.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do I need pedals with tension adjustment? Or should they last me a while before I decide to upgrade for better performing ones? I just started riding and these are my first forray into the clipless pedal world.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
If you're happy with the Easys, you don't need it. Tension adjustment refers to a screw or knob that you turn to increase or decrease the force it takes to clip in and clip out. Only if you find yourself clipping out unintentionally more than two or three times, you need pedals with tension adjustment so you can connect yourself more securely to the bike. Has nothing to do with pedal durability.

Keep in mind that more tension with Looks also means harder to clip in and clip out out. Some pedal brands separate the cleat holding force from the clip-in and clip-out force. That's a nice feature because you can be connected bomb-proof, but still have easy-in and easy-out..

·
Registered
40 Posts
the easys came with my bike that i bought back in the summer time, and i'll say that their low tension makes them good for learning how to clip in without making a fool of yourself in the process (thats not to say i never did that...because i most certainly did). i tried a pair of my friends dura ace pedals (i dont know how those compare to the classics as far as tightness of fit, btu im using them as a comparison to the easys) and really had to force my foot into the pedals, which would be disconcerting if youre learning.

that said, now that im used to clipping in and out, id rather have pedals that have a tighter tension and/or adjustable tension, because the easys are a little too loose for my liking

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
If you're happy with the pedals go back and see if you can get some credit.. since they did in essence rip you off a little. I'm sure it wasn't on purpose.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah, store credit or better yet money back. I'm not always about store credit, especially since they over charged YOU. Store credit just makes you spend more money...at the same place that ripped you off whether it was intentional or not.

The keo easy's are decent from the specs but newly released. I don't know much about their durability. The classics are just that, classic. They have been a hit since they've been released, and from personal experience, they are smooth to click in and out of, the bearings are like butter for many many miles down the road, and they are durable.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Easys should last too.

sscooterguy said:
The keo easy's are decent from the specs but newly released. I don't know much about their durability. The classics are just that, classic. They have been a hit since they've been released, and from personal experience, they are smooth to click in and out of, the bearings are like butter for many many miles down the road, and they are durable.
Easys are basically Classics without the tension adjustment. The bearings are identical. For what it's worth, the Easy tension is the Classic tension set at its lowest.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
If it were me I'd ask them to exchange the pedals.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
If it were me, I'd ask for the pedals you paid for, or full refund for the pedals if they don't have them. Then just buy a pair from Pro Bike Kit - I think they generally have classics for $50-60 postage paid. I wouldn't get Easys because you can set the classics as loose, and have adjustment tighter if you need it.

That shop would have to earn back my trust too, if not devious, it's incompetent to charge you for a component and put on a far cheaper one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts