Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know very little about wheels except what the LBS has told me.

I'm looking at a Jamie Quest Femme -- both the 2009 and 2010 model. I've been told the only big difference between the two is the wheels (other than the color.) The 2010 model was upgraded to Mavic Aksium wheels. The 2009 model has the alex alx-298r wheelset.

The 2009 model is $1375 on sale
The 2010 model is $1575.

Ignoring the color (I love the 2009 blue) - which of these bikes would you buy?

I'm really interested in hearing if the 2010 wheels are really good... or if it would make more sense to buy the 2009, ride it for a while, and then later upgrade to better wheels and buy them a la carte?

Specs on both bikes here:

2010: http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/pdfs/10_questf.pdf
2009: http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/pdfs/09_questf.pdf

·
Registered
891 Posts
The specs look similar other than the wheels. I would get the 2009. If you really want a set of Aksium wheels you can probably find them for around $200, and then you would have a spare set of wheels.

But you can do better than either of those two sets of wheels. I would ride what the bike comes with, and if you feel the need to upgrade wheelsets later there are many options to choose from.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
4,605 Posts
Get the 2009

Aksiums are Mavic entry level wheels, heavy like a set of Open Pro/Ultegra. strong and durable but nothing special ( other than they look like a more expensive wheel )

You can get them at < $200 like new, usually people buy the bike that comes with them and quickly buy something better and resell them.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
see if you can get the 2009 and have the lbs give you a discount for not taking the alex wheels, they suck. Buy an "upgrade" set of wheels along with the new bike: win win situation.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
wim said:
To stay with the informal language, the Alexes suck no worse than the Mavics. :) Any technical details on your assessment that you can share?
nope i dont have any science projects done between the two brands. i have ridden on 3 sets of alex rims though, 2 on my MTB, and 1 on a road bike. On my mtb they were slow, fragile (broke 2 spokes doing XC riding within 2 weeks) and ugly (my opinion.) On the road bike the spoke tension was way off out of the box (not sure if its the rim's fault, but a bad machine build nonetheless), heavy (even heavier than my Mavic OP's) and also ugly.
they're entry level wheels, in case you didn't know

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.