Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 2008 Prince - and it looks like this (minus the wheels)
View attachment 282885
Gorgeous bike, in my opinion. It has a higher grade Carbon than the current FP Quattro - but has the technology on the rest of the bike improved enough to where I would be better with a '12 Quattro than a '08 Prince?

The Prince is priced higher than the Quattro, which seems wrong to me (even though it was an expensive bike initially). It's full SRAM Force for $3600. I love the color significantly more than the '12 Quattros, which I could get one under $3k with mostly Force (some Rival components).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Here's the quattro...
View attachment 282884

·
Registered
40 Posts
Go with the one that sings to you a bit more. I doubt you'd notice any real performance difference if the FP is actually better, which i doubt. BEsides you have to look at the bike underneath you every day. I'd get the Prince. Better carbon, better name etc.

that prince is georgeous by the way!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The 2008 Prince did not have a replaceable rear derailleur hanger, if I remember correctly. Of course, it made up for it with the unique, "The Prince Returns" slogan on the FP decal near the seat tube.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The replaceable derailleur hanger is designed to fail before the carbon around it. That way, if you fall or crash and the derailleur hits the ground or some other object that gives it a good whack, the derailleur hanger will bend rather than wrecking your frame. You just need to replace the hanger.

The decal thing was just me joking around but I thought it was cool that they put it on the 2008's and removed it after that.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Suggest you call Clive at Glory Cycles. He gave me a very attractive price on building up a 2012 Paris (with internally routed cables). It has the carbon you are looking for and it's only a few hundred dollars more than that '08 Prince.

FWIW, my '12 Quattro rides very very similarly to my son's '08 Paris, but I still wish I'd gone for the deal mentioned above, especially since spending more $$s to weight weenie my bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.