Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
Is this a trick question?

The "old" SLX is Cyclex chromoly with internal helical reinforcement.

The "new" SLX is a complete monocoque carbon fiber frame available in small (500mm), medium (530mm), large (560mm), and extra large (590mm) frame sizes from the Columbus Carbon Lab.

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
Check out this post on cyclingforums.com. One of the responses to this guy's query says SLX NEW is essentially old SLX that's Nivachrom (air-hardening) instead of Cyclex like the "old" SLX. If true, that makes it more suitable to TIG welding, but it can also be used for brazed lug or fillet brazed construction.

I don't know how authoritative his response is.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/rec-bi...tion-slx-new-tubing-eddy-merckx-frameset.html

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a Coppi steel frameset that is fully lugged. Years ago I had the old SLX and just curious if there was a "real" difference.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Scooper said:
Check out this post on cyclingforums.com. One of the responses to this guy's query says SLX NEW is essentially old SLX that's Nivachrom (air-hardening) instead of Cyclex like the "old" SLX. If true, that makes it more suitable to TIG welding, but it can also be used for brazed lug or fillet brazed construction.

I don't know how authoritative his response is.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/rec-bicycles-tech/291776-question-slx-new-tubing-eddy-merckx-frameset.html
Stan, since the decal specifically says 'Cyclex' and CrMo, I doubt that is the case. Maybe someone in the builders forum on that other site might know.

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Although searches yield a number of queries about SLX NEW, there doesn't seem to be any credible description of exactly what it is.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I went down this road a year ago.

I talked to the nice folks at Tommasini.

They told me at the time that it was similar to SLX, yet "newly" available.

I gave up and decided to just ride the bike. :)

Similar ride characteristics to a few SLX framed bikes I own, with a slightly different personality perhaps owing to frame geo. Predictable on descents, and a reasonable climber as well. Better at speeds than many of my bikes.

Built now with 10 speed Chorus.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I remember it as being the sticker that was applied after a frame had been re-sprayed, nothing more than that.

It's perfectly possible that my memory is failing, so I wouldn't put my mortgage on it!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
gomango said:
now I remember why I hate you! :p

go, your collection of steel steeds really makes me drool. How do you like the Tommasini compared to your De Rosas, Casati Golds, Colnagos, etc? I still want a Ne Primato and Tommasini Tecno but right now, I've been scouring the CL and eBay for a late 80s or 90s Celeste Bianchi Reparto Corse lugged frame. I want one with higher end tubing and 130mm spacing. You don't have a Bianchi do you?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ride-Fly said:
now I remember why I hate you! :p

go, your collection of steel steeds really makes me drool. How do you like the Tommasini compared to your De Rosas, Casati Golds, Colnagos, etc? I still want a Ne Primato and Tommasini Tecno but right now, I've been scouring the CL and eBay for a late 80s or 90s Celeste Bianchi Reparto Corse lugged frame. I want one with higher end tubing and 130mm spacing. You don't have a Bianchi do you?

Thanks.

Love the Tommasini. She's a keeper. Great all around bike, especially since I (the kids and I) did a rebuild with 10 speed Campy Chorus. It was fine before, but the Chorus kicked the whole shebang up a notch.

I've been selling down my collection all summer. I still have several bikes that are going away. I sold a very nice Bianchi Axis this spring. I think I've owned four or five Bianchis over the last 20 years. A local owner of a race shop has way too much influence over yours truly.

Got a nice Colnago or two though to sell, but no Bianchis at the moment.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
Nacracer said:
Can anyone tell me the difference between "SLX" and "New SLX" tubing? Thanks.

Nothing wrong with it, as long as you aren't too fat, and don't mind a 5 to 5 1/2 pound frame. (not frame and fork)

·
Registered
372 Posts

·
merckxman
2,116 Posts
This is what I thought.

Unica said:
I remember it as being the sticker that was applied after a frame had been re-sprayed, nothing more than that.

It's perfectly possible that my memory is failing, so I wouldn't put my mortgage on it!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Unica said:

Theory doesn't work on my Tommasini Sintesi.

The factory has already confirmed the original finish when I visited them last summer.

Is this the "Riverniciato" decal you are thinking of perhaps?

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/Columbus_main.htm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts