Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my age (39) is starting to catch up to me or I am just getting a bit burned-out on the bike. Last year, I rode 9,001 miles; my best year ever. Over my 3-week break before I began teaching summer school, I put in 1,100 miles and then still rode a bunch in the mornings and in-between classes (about 40-50 miles a day). Fast forward to this summer and that same 3-week break, I feel as if I am barely squeaking out a 200-225 mile week. I just feel tired on the bike, legs hurt, and just sort of a lack of motivation. I am no speedster on the bike and hover in the 18-20 mph range on a ride; sometimes 1-2mph faster or slower. I have backed off my rides to 30-35 miles...more out of necessity, in that longer rides just take too much out of me. Anyone else hit the wall, so the speak.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
PsyDoc said:
I think my age (39) is starting to catch up to me or I am just getting a bit burned-out on the bike. Last year, I rode 9,001 miles; my best year ever. Over my 3-week break before I began teaching summer school, I put in 1,100 miles and then still rode a bunch in the mornings and in-between classes (about 40-50 miles a day). Fast forward to this summer and that same 3-week break, I feel as if I am barely squeaking out a 200-225 mile week. I just feel tired on the bike, legs hurt, and just sort of a lack of motivation. I am no speedster on the bike and hover in the 18-20 mph range on a ride; sometimes 1-2mph faster or slower. I have backed off my rides to 30-35 miles...more out of necessity, in that longer rides just take too much out of me. Anyone else hit the wall, so the speak.
Yeah...once I had kids I cut back A LOT on my miles. Gained 10 pounds or so. Too much stuff to do other than riding. When I tried to push it I got stressed and sick. Think I've found a decent balance now though. 200 mile week? Heck I haven't ridden 200 mile weeks for years. I'm lucky to get 100-150 a week now. I do a week-long bike tour of about 500 miles each year and can still manage that OK even with my limited training so it's all good.

· Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flexible schedule

You probably have set hours at work, though. As a professor, my schedule tends to be a bit more flexible. During the fall semester, I can average about 1 to 1.5 hours a day. During the spring semester, I can average 2 to 2.5 hours a day. During summer, I can ride all morning (8:00 - 12:00) if I have the legs. So, even though I have two kids (4 and 9.5 months), I can still ride a bunch during the week and do so cause I there was about a 4 year period where I never got out on the weekend.

· I drank what?
3,240 Posts
PsyDoc said:
Just take a break. I got burned out last fall and took most of the winter off. Now I'm back excited about riding and have found a new group to ride with.

· Registered
217 Posts
Sounds to me like you need to buy a new bike. A new Look 585 and many$K later my motivation just has gone thru the roof. :D

Early 90's I got distracted with fly fishing. I had 2-3 years of under 1000 mi/yr(though I had 75 fishing days/yr). Now I'm back riding again, haven't even got my license yet this year. I let my obsessions take me where they will. A real break may be just what you need. Get a fixie, MTB, touring or maybe a flyrod. It'll come back around in time.

· Registered
74 Posts
PsyDoc said:
... Anyone else hit the wall, so the speak.
yup. i think i'm right there with you. i am the same age you are and relative to past years i feel like i'm going backwards. i usually have a full schedule of races and training from March thru October but this year my heart, and body, just aren't into it. i started racing late (mid Apr rather than early Mar) and have to force myself to get out and train. my results are evidence of the struggle. my S.O is encouraging me to take some real time off the bike and do something else (you mean there are other things to do besides ride?! ;)) until i'm ready to come back to it, but it's tough to just walk away from the bikes......

rt (also a psy doc :))

· Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More $K's?

Shoot, if I tried to pull "I need a new bike," then I would have no alternative but to take time off the bike to heal from the beating I would take from my wife. My bike is pretty nice as it is (Seven ti, etc. 16.5 pounds). Ah fishing...been doing that since I was 3-years-old...began fly fishing around age 8. When I lived in Southern California, I used to fish the West fork of the San Gabriel River, which had wild trout, and I always fished the catch-and-release section. That gave me the opportunity to combine biking and fishing as the paved trail was about 5 miles long. Though, riding a bike in chest waders is a workout.

_rt_ Yeah, walking away from anything that has been part of your life for so long is tough. Riding helps keep me mentally healthy. My S.O. is always suggesting some time off the bike, but the bike is like a siren with her enchanting singing.

· Registered
74 Posts
PsyDoc said:
_rt_ Yeah, walking away from anything that has been part of your life for so long is tough. Riding helps keep me mentally healthy. My S.O. is always suggesting some time off the bike, but the bike is like a siren with her enchanting singing.
exactly. i hear the siren's song and am drawn back even when i don't want to be. fortunately, my SO is also a cyclist so he understands the song....i think he's just tired of listening to the whine coming from me. ;)

oh, and i'm with you on not spending more $Ks on the bike. right now i'm channeling my K's into something <i>for</i> the bikes - a new living space (aka a workshop) - something that will comfortably fit 10 bikes plus my workbench and still leave room for guests to come, visit, and sleep comfortably. :D

r

· Registered
7 Posts
I'm with Bob on this one. Did 190 last week, my most ever. By comparison, I rode 350 all last summer before it got really hot and humid and the work schedule went into overdrive. I've got a new job this summer, got my racing license for the first time, I'm training for my first race in August and my motivation is sky high. I took a rest day on Monday and it was all I could do to not look at my bike. Needless to say, I'm glad things are different this summer.

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
I was going to commiserate with you, but "barely squeaking out a 200-225 mile week" sounds like a pretty good week to me! Right now I'm lucky if can get 100-120 miles in a week. I get myself to a half decent fitness level, then I get sick or something and it's like I have to start all over again. It's been a very disappointing season this year, and that's after a really disappointing year last year. In the past, at this stage of the year I would be doing 1,000 mile months easy. Count your blessings!

· Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
2004 was probably my best year ever for mileage (at least in the last eight
or nine years) where I did about 2500 miles, did a solo century and did the
bike leg of the Lifetime Fitness triathlon.

2005 was a poor year for riding, about 950 miles total - wife was in and
out of the hospital no less than three times and my heart wasn't in it.

2006 is a different story - I'm already well on my way and am attempting
a 2000 mile year again if not more. For an almost-43 year old I feel strong-
the spinning classes have really helped.

Some friends and I have been talking about a century ride to a friends
Farm in north central Minnesota with the progress I've made I think I
could actually do it in a respectable time now.

Anyway, take some time off, relax, try something else. The bike will
always be waiting.

· Registered
264 Posts
The time off the bike sounds good, but if its just more of a motivation thing and you really like cycling, maybe change routes/schedule.

Also, it sounds like you may ride road entirely. Ever tried mountain biking? It might be enough of a difference. I found switching sometimes for a while is refreshing.

· Registered
40 Posts
Take the copmuter off

Ride without the computer.
Go for a ride with your camera and stop to take pictures, then post them in the touring forum.
Buy a tag-a-long (trail a bike?) for your 4 year old and go for a ride to someplace special for him or her everyday.

I go through this burnout every year that I set a mileage goal. When I get close to the goal it seems like a job to ride. Like I am putting in time. Then I will find excuses to not ride. Once I reach the goal the self induced pressure is off and I start to enjoy it again.

This year I set no goals (I am a Sabres fan) and enjoy every ride. Especially the tag-a-long rides with my 5 year old.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.