Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I currently have a Cannondale R6 aluminum road bike. I am and probably will be upgrading to a Trek Madone 5 series or some other carbon bike in the upper 2 grand range.

Can someone please tell me(im assuming a great deal) the benefits and/or advantages to upgrading from the Cannondale to the Trek.

If this is any significance, once it gets warmer outside (NYC) i planned on doing one or two centuries a month and riding a minimum of 50 miles a week.

Currently, i avg 15 in Central Park, but towards the middle to end of summer my avg goes to about 18.5.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
my bike's underpowered
440 Posts
Congratulations!

IMHO, the biggest benefit of looking at CF frames is the variety available to you. As you ride different bikes, I think you'll find differences big and small in fit, comfort, stiffness, ride, handling, climbing, weight and finish. Many manufacturers are known for certain traits, but you can often find significant differences within their lines.

In order to find your best bike, my recommendation would be to not lock into one or two brands. The only problem is that the choices can be overwhelming. :confused:

These forums are great for finding what people like and dislike about their rides but you'll need to remember that we're all different in our needs and desires. Sometimes you can use the information to narrow down tthe choices, then go out and ride the bikes that interest you. I find it best to take long rides on familiar roads where you can develop your own opinions comparing each bike to your Cannondale.

It's a process, but it should be fun and exciting - enjoy it! :D

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
gleeclub said:
Hi.

I currently have a Cannondale R6 aluminum road bike. I am and probably will be upgrading to a Trek Madone 5 series or some other carbon bike in the upper 2 grand range.

Can someone please tell me(im assuming a great deal) the benefits and/or advantages to upgrading from the Cannondale to the Trek.

If this is any significance, once it gets warmer outside (NYC) i planned on doing one or two centuries a month and riding a minimum of 50 miles a week.

Currently, i avg 15 in Central Park, but towards the middle to end of summer my avg goes to about 18.5.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
If upgrading to a carbon bike inspires you to ride more, go for it......

That being said, there is nothing wrong with riding your Cannondale on long distance rides..

The frame material topic of carbon/aluminum/steel is beat death....any well designed frame will give you hours of enjoyment...Cannondale certainly falls into the catagory of a well designed frame..

The Trek is a wonderful bike was well....

Pick which bike is going to get you riding more.....:thumbsup:

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
To add on to what everyone has already said...

"All bikes are basically the same."

Seriously, they all have different personalities, but overall, they're basically there to get you from A to B.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
If you believe that you will notice a great deal of benefit and/or advantage by moving to CF, my advice is to test ride a few CF bikes, buy the one with the greatest perceived advantage and enjoy it. Avoid any internet discussions about material differences in bike frames. You will only become jaded.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
If you believe that you will notice a great deal of benefit and/or advantage by moving to CF, my advice is to test ride a few CF bikes, buy the one with the greatest perceived advantage and enjoy it. Avoid any internet discussions about material differences in bike frames. You will only become jaded.
good advice:thumbsup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Dave. Definitely have no problems using the Cannondale on long distances.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts