Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the frame from an old '05 Allez Elite sitting in the garage. I know the Sworks E5 was a very popular bike that Cipollini was fond of. Whats the difference between the two frames? According to Spec's website, the Allez has 10mm more top tube than the E5 and is made of "Columbus SLX" vs "Columbus AEROTEC", but they look pretty similar otherwise. Is my old frame worth hanging onto or is it just old junk?

linkie
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2005&spid=21479
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2005&spid=21291

·
Registered
934 Posts
The line from the bike shops when they were new is that the '05 Allez Elite frame (and the '04 Allez Comp frame) was basically the same as the older S-works E5 frame. You've got to take that with a grain (or ocean) of salt, naturally.

Of course, without the S-works painted on it (and with the extra 10mm of head tube, which seems to be a Specialized pro-vs-consumer thing... where do they put it, anyway, without changing the other numbers?), it won't have the panache (read: resale value) of an S-works.

It's not junk in any case. Specialized basically didn't change the Allez until 2009, and in '08 they dropped all but the low end (mid-range resurrected in '09), so put a decent group on it and it'll be just as good if not better than any Specialized aluminum bike up to '09.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
I ride a 05 Allez Elite and love it. The wheels, brakes and crankset were junk but ran well untill they wore out and were upgraded. other than that is is as is and runs great.

·
497 Posts
not sure..but

as you already seem to realize, it would take a LOT of money to get anything better than this frame - handles nice, fits a lot of people well, reasonably stiff, reasonably smooth, reasonable weight.

As to your original questions, my buddy used to be a Specialized dealer, but I'm not sure of the exact difference between the Allez and E5 over the range of model years. May just be slightly thicker tubing, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The E5 always had a better fork than a comparable Allez of the same model year. As far as tubing performance, the difference was pretty subtle and don't think I could tell blind folded, assuming same build. It was certainly a much smaller difference than the different grades of carbon in the various Tarmacs.

And, there's a rumor that Cipollini used a repainted Principia - which used to make ridiculously stiff, high-end aluminum. The E5 was a nice frame, but I wouldn't say it was anything special over any other pro bike for sprinting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts