Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

is it worth a try?

Can anyone tell the differnces between those two in shifting, wear, does one feel the wheight differnce etc. ?

psi_co

·
Registered
616 Posts
If you are talking about the chain, there is virtually no difference. The weights are the same. I use Ultegra chains b/c they are cheaper.

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
$$$$$$ and weight

Assuming we're talking cassettes here (it would be a lot more useful if you would say what the part numbers were for), the DA cassette is 1) a few grams lighter, 2) WAAAY more expensive (due to Ti cogs), 3) a LOT less durable (due to Ti cogs), and 4) shifts no better than the Ultegra.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes, I mean the cassettes, I think one should know the components descriptions if one is riding and checking them for maintenace. :D ;)

Sounds good for the Ultegra, but almost 60g is not a few, it´s pretty d *amn a lot!

I´m riding the 7800 and it´s now 14000Km on it still shifts perfectly.So until now it was worth it, but still too expensive -the Ultegra cassette is about half the price!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mileage/Kilometers anyone who has used the Ultagra 10-speed cassette until it needed to be exchanged? :cool:

·
Lurkaholic
336 Posts
psi_co said:
Yes, I mean the cassettes, I think one should know the components descriptions if one is riding and checking them for maintenace. :D ;)

Sounds good for the Ultegra, but almost 60g is not a few, it´s pretty d *amn a lot!

I´m riding the 7800 and it´s now 14000Km on it still shifts perfectly.So until now it was worth it, but still too expensive -the Ultegra cassette is about half the price!
Mileage will depend on maintenance, your weight and the type of riding you do. If you are riding relatively flat roads, you won't notice much difference. But if you are regularly attacking 10% plus grades those big Ti cogs will sacrifice themselves pretty quick. I'm not racing, and I have regular rides of 12%, so I stick with 6600 on everything except shifters.

I will think about stripping weight component-wise when I have stripped as much possible weight body-wise.

·
Registered
616 Posts
psi_co said:
Mileage/Kilometers anyone who has used the Ultagra 10-speed cassette until it needed to be exchanged? :cool:
Change your chain often and keep your drivetrain clean and the cassette should last for years.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I am going to use the 6600 from now on.I couldn't care less about 2 ounces.

I just had to throw away a 7800 cassette after 4k miles.I replaced the chain @roughly every 1,200 miles.I am fanatical about cleaning my bikes and keeping the drive train clean and lubed.I just went to put a new chain on it a few days ago and it skips because of wear.

I ride 700miles a month at a minimum and 1,100+ during the spring/summer it just doesn't make sense to be spending $35 a month on chains to have to toss a $160 cassette in 4 months.I also spin and live where it is flat.

At this point I am going to use 6600 and not replace the chain.Keep it clean and ride the hell out of it for 4k miles.

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
R.Rice said:
I just had to throw away a 7800 cassette after 4k miles.
Obviously, YMMV.

Although, really, I agree the cassette (and chain) are the 1st two things I'd "sacrafice" to Ultegra on an otherwise D/A system. Ultegra derailleurs might actually be lighter, but the D/A finish is much purtier. D/A shifters are a must, as well as the crankset - if not for its lighter weight than certainly for it's sheer beauty (plz - no slams by Campy intruders).

·
Registered
467 Posts
BugMan said:
Obviously, YMMV.

Although, really, I agree the cassette (and chain) are the 1st two things I'd "sacrafice" to Ultegra on an otherwise D/A system. Ultegra derailleurs might actually be lighter, but the D/A finish is much purtier. D/A shifters are a must, as well as the crankset - if not for its lighter weight than certainly for it's sheer beauty (plz - no slams by Campy intruders).
I agree that the rest of the 7800 drivetrain is better.I have Ultegra 10 on my Bianchi San Lorenzo and Dura Ace on My Bianchi Freccia Celeste.The 7800 definately shifts a lot smoother,looks better and the brake hoods are more comfy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts