Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I curently have 06 centaur with a truvative crank. I want to get a regular (not a compact)Campy UT crank. What are the difference between Chorus Centaur Carbon and the alloy Veloce crank. I dont race so is it worth it to get the carbon crank or get an alloy crank. Is there a big difference between the Centaur carbon and the chorus crank?

·
Fast No More.
770 Posts
I think Veloce and Centaur have steel rings; Chorus has alloy rings. All have steel chainring bolts. Up the ante to record and you get hollow vs. solid arms, coated alloy chainrings, and alloy chainring bolts.

The extra $ goes into weight savings. Performance differences are likely negligible between the cranks. They all use the same BB cups

FWIW, there are some that argue aluminum is more crashworthy/resistant to damage compared to carbon, and crankarms are the lowest part of a bike after the wheels.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So basically if I understand this correct it comes down to the chainrings. So a carbon Centaur crank and an alloy crank are basically the same since they have the same chainrings. I am a little confused about chainrings. Since the Chorus has a nickel coating does this means it lasts longer then the Centaur or Veloce crank? Whats the advantage of the nickel coating?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Check Campy web site. It explains the difference.

Record are hollow cranks
Chorus are solid

I believe Centuar uses different rings.

All use aluminum chainring bolts.

Buy Chorus. They are the best value and weigh on a few grams more than Record.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still a little bit confused

I went on the Campy website and compared the Chorus crank and the Centaur Carbon crank and it says

Chorus light alloy high guage chainring with antifriction treatment

Centaur light alloy sheared-drawn chainring with antifriction treatment

My question is what is the difference between the high guage chainring versus the sheared-drawn chainring. What is sheared drawn? What does the antifriction treatment do since both cranks have them.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
info..

The Centaur rings are stamped from a sheet of aluminum, with less post-stamping machining to the teeth. The surface of the tooth contacting the chain is probably not quite as precise as Chorus or Record. Chorus and Record rings are most likely stamped to their rough shape, but would have more post-stamping machining, that increase the precision and cost. I see that Campy has added the friction reducing treatment to the Centaur rings. There's no way to no if the Record/Chorus rings are worth the extra cost.

It seems to me that you're putting an awful lot of thought into this. I usually buy whatever suits my budget. Chorus is still the best deal with Record peformance for a lot less money. I'm sure the Centaur rings will perform well and probably last nearly as long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.