Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my second crit the other evening, and unlike the first one where I was out front a lot, I decided to take a few more chances in the pack and sit at about 5th-7th wheel through at least half of the race. This was the clear admonition from several people on this board.

It was a little unnerving at first through some tight turns, but on the whole not so bad. Most importantly, I saved a lot more energy for the second half when various guys decided to try flyers off the front. My teammates and I planned a little before the race, and as well as during, and we worked fairly well together (at least as well as Cat 5s can) to keep the breaks in check without any one of us wearing out. As a result, we entered the final lap (a little over 1 mi) with about 12 guys together and everyone looking to position for a bunch sprint. At least one in the group (not a teammate) looked like he could really punch it, and I had been debating for several laps whether I should go head to head with him and others or jump early. I still don't know exactly what I saw or sensed, but as we approached the final big turn with about 200m to go, I decided to hit the gas. That gave me the inside line through the turn, which I already knew I could take as fast or faster than anyone else. After burying myself for a few seconds I glanced under my arm and saw that no one was on my wheel, so I kept it going through a slight uphill portion. In hindsight, it looks like I caught nearly everyone by surprise, since I carried it to the line with a gap of probably 40m. Even better, my team took second and third.

Again, thanks to all for the advice. Next I'll jump to the mixed 4-5 races and focus on trying to stay with the main group.

· Registered
2,771 Posts
sounds pretty well done. Force the other guys to cover your attack and they lead out your teamates. With 3 of you there i'd almost want to send guys even earlier if possible...
good luck in the 4/5 group! :thumbsup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.