Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was happily following the FSA instructions for installing the K-force crank... installed the bb without trouble, then got to the part about "gently slide the drive-side crank spindle into the bottom bracket". Mustering all my strength I can only push it about 10mm into the bb. The plastic bearing cover seems to be an extremely tight fit on the spindle. Has anyone else had this problem, and does anyone know any tricks to get it installed? Do I need to hammer it in? Am I going to be able to get it off again if I ever manage to get the crank on?

Thanks for any help.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
dwaharvey said:
I was happily following the FSA instructions for installing the K-force crank... installed the bb without trouble, then got to the part about "gently slide the drive-side crank spindle into the bottom bracket". Mustering all my strength I can only push it about 10mm into the bb. The plastic bearing cover seems to be an extremely tight fit on the spindle. Has anyone else had this problem, and does anyone know any tricks to get it installed? Do I need to hammer it in? Am I going to be able to get it off again if I ever manage to get the crank on?

Thanks for any help.
Yep.

Rubber mallet. Scary, but no problem.

Comes out much easier.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I typically avoid the mallet thing and just use the flat of my hand. You can try putting a thin bit of grease on the spindle to help it some. If its simply not going in, something is wrong - I've installed dozens of FSA cranks and have never needed much more pressure than a good whack with my palm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.