Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had it about three weeks. It's dressed in Campy Veloce Triple Nine Speed...a surprisingly smooth, well-finished line of components. Its old-fashioned upright seating position demands that you dress like a Fred when you ride. Tasty! A deep bottom bracket drop lends an additional vintage vibe. A slight top tube rise adds jaunty appeal. Decked out in the Veloce, the bike (a 54 cm) is porky at about 22 1/2 lbs, but the machine more about gentlemanly cruising than barreling along. It still has to be said, though, however, the bike is a pleasure to ride. It'll go fast when you want it to. It rides as softly as any unsuspended bike reasonably could. It is stable in the straights. It corners quickly and predictably. It's a well-sorted out chunk of metal.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Tasty!

As if the lugged frame isn't sweet enough, I really, really love that copper paint--never could understand why that wasn't a more popular color. I applaud your, um, gentlemanly taste.

Here's to Freds everywhere!

·
I am pedlfoot
205 Posts
Wow!!!

That is one beautiful bike.A classic look and style.It looks like the kind of ride you can take out for a nice ride in the country.I love steal bikes myself.I have a nice 531 lugged steel Croll that rides like btter.I hope you have great time with that one.It looks like it's crying out for a Brooks saddle.Have you thought of getting one for it?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Absolutely beautiful! Some questions...

I've been studying Rivendell and I have some questions.

I know their builders favor a different frame geometry that some may consider heresy. The info on the web site says that they favor a larger than normal frame than is traditionally told to be correct.

Did you allow them to determine the sizing of the bike? If so, how does it feel to you? Is it different to you?

Thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
Fantastic

That is one of the most beautiful bike I have ever seen..... my god, it is amazing. I was just browsing their pages yesterday and saw this......what saddle is that by the way?

Regards
Sean

·
Registered
777 Posts
plus_vite said:
I've been studying Rivendell and I have some questions.

I know their builders favor a different frame geometry that some may consider heresy. The info on the web site says that they favor a larger than normal frame than is traditionally told to be correct.

Thanks
I think that a better way to put it is that Grant prefers a bigger bike than is currently considered correct. The "Rivendell fit" was the traditional fit up until the late 80's. One of the sneakier ways to win in the weight wars is to make smaller frames to fit taller riders. Less material = lighter, stiffer, cheaper frame. Once you understand that Grant / Rivendell are targeting the serious non-racing rider, their way of doing things makes a little more sense.

If you want to know more, subscribe to the Rivendell Reader. It's $15 bucks a year, and you get a discount on their stuff. One of the best bicycle mags going, IMHO

·
Registered
806 Posts
Brooks

TREKY said:
That is one beautiful bike.A classic look and style.It looks like the kind of ride you can take out for a nice ride in the country.I love steal bikes myself.I have a nice 531 lugged steel Croll that rides like btter.I hope you have great time with that one.It looks like it's crying out for a Brooks saddle.Have you thought of getting one for it?
I concur with TREKY on the Brooks...if it rains where you live, you might also consider fenders. Wallbike has some gorgeous stainless fenders that are going on my Kogswell, though I'm not yet certain that they won't be painted to match first...

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Fitting

plus_vite said:
I think the key thing is to minimize the height difference between the saddle and the handlebars. A larger frame will help to do this all things being equal.

Super nice bike buy the way.

·
Registered
228 Posts
New Rambo

Nice bike! Forget all the marketing baloney about weight. 22.5 pounds is light. It's lighter than the bike that Miguel Indurain won 5 TdFs on and much lighter than the bike that Gianni Bugno won two world championships on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.