Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my wife and I ride, I pull. She is a 49 year old who rides for a bit of exercise and fresh air. She has done centuries, but I wouldn't call her a hard core cyclist. Anyway, she is afraid if crashing into me, even though I am ultra, ultra careful when she is on. Since she is so careful, sometimes her draft is usually a bike length back, and sometimes more.

Question: Has an analytical study ever been done that shows the diminishing benefit of drafting as the distance from the puller increases? Something that says like, "consider wheel kissing to be maximum 100% effective, then half a bike length is only 75%, a whole bike lenght is 40%, two bike lengths is 5%"

·
It's Good to be The King
79 Posts
Heed my advice, or woe is you...

Choose another battle. If the Queen feels safe one bikelength back respect her comfort zone. If you urge her to ride closer and she has ANY mishap you are dead meat for a long time.

·
Poseur
1,408 Posts
fretking said:
Choose another battle. If the Queen feels safe one bikelength back respect her comfort zone. If you urge her to ride closer and she has ANY mishap you are dead meat for a long time.
+1 She's the one choosing to work harder but it's what she wants.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am just happy she gets out there with me! I would never tell her to close the gap. "Cross-chain" is about all I dare say to her about her riding!

The question was mainly for me, as I battle to stay on my kids' wheels.

·
OUTLAW BIKER
463 Posts
I remember a very long time ago someone explained to me the exact info you're looking for.
It was before the internet, printed in a book. I'm sorry I cant remember the name of the book, but with all the options now you'd probably have an easy time of it at any of the major search engines. Try bicycle drafting as your search terms and expand on that.... hope it helps.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
As long as you're riding 50 to 60 mph, a bike length is fine. Othwise, just put the hammer down and hear about it when you get home.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
This is the ultimate drafting solution. Just don't blame me.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
at a bike length, she is probably no longer drafting. maybe if you're 8ft tall and 4 ft wide, but otherwise it's probably not making much difference.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
That's about what I've always thought.

tomk96 said:
at a bike length, she is probably no longer drafting. maybe if you're 8ft tall and 4 ft wide, but otherwise it's probably not making much difference.
I have no scientific data, but it always feels like you're still getting some benefit at 3 or 4 feet, but beyond 6-7 feet (a bike length) it's minimal. That's for riding behind a single rider. The zone is bigger behind a large group, even if they're in a tight single file. A wide pack, even more.

·
Hold your line!
177 Posts
I have the same issue with my wife, she won't get close enough to draft effectively. I've mentioned it several times until I was told that she can take care of herself. I haven't mentioned it since.

I have noticed she has been inching up a bit closer lately ('bout 1/2 bike length). I'm not sure if it's a comfort level thing or if it just had to be her idea. But I suspect the real reason she's closing the gap is because realized the value of drafting......A while back I was pulling home into a strong headwind and she was tired already from a long ride. I think it made her very aware of just how much drafting can help.

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
I tended to try to help her more than she wanted to hear so I quit unless it is safety related. She benefits anyway from the harder efforts by getting stronger. I am just pleased that she 'lets' me ride 6 days a week and spend lots of $ on bikes. I enjoy my recovery rides with her.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
The more you trust the person in front of you, the closer you can get to their rear wheel. She doesn't trust you! J/K

If she fixates on your backside or your rear wheel, that's obviously not a good thing. Hopefully she practices the proper techniques of looking beyond the draftee. And, naturally, you commonly point out hazards or announce changes in speed/direction.

It disappoints me when somebody doesn't take advantage of my draft. I hate to see it go to waste. I expect tit for tat. Can I say that here?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
You're a slow learner,

jtsk said:
I've mentioned it several times until I was told that she can take care of herself. I haven't mentioned it since..
but at least you got it eventually. You say it ONCE, then you STFU about it and enjoy the ride. You calmly explain the benefits and theory of it ONCE in a casual conversation (not while riding), and then you just enjoy the fact that your wife rides with you sometimes.

This is not cycling advice, it's relationship advice ;-)

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
gibbons said:
Question: Has an analytical study ever been done that shows the diminishing benefit of drafting as the distance from the puller increases? Something that says like, "consider wheel kissing to be maximum 100% effective, then half a bike length is only 75%, a whole bike lenght is 40%, two bike lengths is 5%"
Yep. This link doesn't have many numbers, but they do exist.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts