Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mis-read my recipe -- instead of buying boneless chicken thighs, I bought leg and thigh pieces, with bones. The finished product did not look like the picture, it was, in fact, black. Dad is too kind, or he's just happy to have a home cooked meal "It tastes better than it looks" :rolleyes:

I'll give it another try, using the boneless thighs.

·
Glue Sniffer
4,598 Posts
My mom one time made "Cordon Blue" when I was a kid.

Except, she always fails at cooking. And, given the fact that ALL of my friends got food poisoning at some point after eating at my house, she always fails at food hygiene.

So, I'd never had Cordon Blue. And, apparently, neither had she, which is obviously the perfect reason to just "wing it" on the recipe.

Her recipe:

Ingredients:
One frozen steak from the box of frozen steaks in the freezer.
One bag of frozen french fries.
One cookpot full of hot oil.

Directions:
1. Drop frozen steak into hot oil bath. Duck at the ice crystals cause oil to spray everywhere.
2. Cook until burnt.
3. Set aside until cold.
4. Drop frozen fries into hot oil.
5. Cook until underdone (skin is slimy from soaking up all the oil, inside is still slightly frozen).
6. Voila!

My point being: That dish DID NOT taste better than it looked. Your's sounds like it probably did. Either way, I woulda eaten it.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
catzilla said:
My mom one time made "Cordon Blue" when I was a kid.

Except, she always fails at cooking. And, given the fact that ALL of my friends got food poisoning at some point after eating at my house, she always fails at food hygiene.

So, I'd never had Cordon Blue. And, apparently, neither had she, which is obviously the perfect reason to just "wing it" on the recipe.

Her recipe:

Ingredients:
One frozen steak from the box of frozen steaks in the freezer.
One bag of frozen french fries.
One cookpot full of hot oil.

Directions:
1. Drop frozen steak into hot oil bath. Duck at the ice crystals cause oil to spray everywhere.
2. Cook until burnt.
3. Set aside until cold.
4. Drop frozen fries into hot oil.
5. Cook until underdone (skin is slimy from soaking up all the oil, inside is still slightly frozen).
6. Voila!

My point being: That dish DID NOT taste better than it looked. Your's sounds like it probably did. Either way, I woulda eaten it.
Hokey Smokes! Your Mom is definitely right up there in the class of worst cooks I ever heard of. Not only does that have absolutely nothing to do with anything I've ever heard called anything like Cordon Blue (the lack of chicken is a bit of a giveaway, as is the inclusion of french fries--they're arguably French, as least. See? I says French right here on the package), but it sounds entirely revolting.

That's a tie with my friend's Mom, who made banana pudding according to the recipe on the box (a minor miracle in itself, unaccompanied by sudden flash fires or emergency surgery as it was), but felt something was missing. So she thought probably what it needed was...onions.

Compared to this, buying the wrong kind of chicken parts is culinary genius.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Bone in thighs, cooked indirectly on a Weber kettle, med heat. 45 minutes. Had some last night.

Of course, lump charcoal, mesquite mixed in.

Never misses.

I can cook pork good all the time, chicken sometimes and steak if my wife checks the meat (C0d3).

Bone in chicken always turns out, boneless you have to be careful.

·
Glue Sniffer
4,598 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
Compared to this, buying the wrong kind of chicken parts is culinary genius.
'Zactly.

Another time, after I pointed out that our milk had chunks in it, she decided to make cheese soup with it believing that adding heat to spoiled foods de-spoiled them (hence the rampant food poisoning). Her recipe was milk, cheese, and heat which is no where near the actual recipe for cheese soup.

When my friends came over later that day, like a good hostess she offered them up some of the fresh homemade soup.

They looked at me, saw me vigorously shaking my head no, and politely declined.

If Snap's chicken wasn't pink in the middle and green on the outside (not k0de), I'd say she made a meal fit for a prince. And certainly one that would satisfy any hungry father's belly.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reminds me of a woman that used to work in my office. She became famous for poisoning her fellow coworkers. I don't think she ever threw anything away, just used it for the office potluck. Yummers!!

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Snap, I am sure it tasted fine. They use food stylists for those shots! It never looks like that.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine was black. Really black. :rolleyes: Once you got through the crusty black, it was pretty good.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Ha. :) Good one. "Here dad, here's a hammer and chisel..." :)

One thanksgiving I accidentally bought spaghetti squash for a recipe instead of butternut squash. Imagine my surprise when I sliced it open.

It did NOT taste good, and it was funny-looking to boot.

But I've never farked up a turkey so whatever.

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
One time when I was a teenager my mom had me make the dinner. It was fried fish. I fried 'em up real nice 'cept I forgot to gut the fishes.

It was terrible.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
I'm just glad that my mom is a really good cook and when you compare it to Catzilla's story and all, she's a fantastic cook for sure!

Come to think of it, my uncles and aunts are pretty dandy cooks themselves.

Burnt isn't too bad if everything under that is alright. Sometimes, it happens. For whatever reason (yeah, watching tv while your food cook is NOT a good idea I've learned)

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
Cat...PLEASE do not eat your mom's cooking until after the baby is born............

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I've been using bone-in chicken pieces in recipes that call for boneless for years. I think that they taste better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts