Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I commute about 21 miles each way to work, and my morning ride is under the cloak of darkness at 5:00 am. I am always looking for the very brightest lights to ensure I am SEEN by the knucklehead drivers that are driving on the roads. Over the years I have tried them all and I have settled on the LED lights from Dinotte. These lights are the best and brightest on the market - bar none. I heard last week that they released a new tail light that is lighter weight and brighter than my current model 140R. I ordered and received it yesterday. I installed it last night and charged it overnight.

WOW - this light is BRIGHT! Unbelievably bright. The old one I had was so bright that I have been stopped once by a car driver asking me what light it was, and numerous bikers have asked me after riding behind me. The new light is far brighter and has a larger light source that is more easily seen.

The truth is I feel far safer riding with this light at night than I do when I ride home in the afternoon in total daylight.

I like this new 300R.

bikerneil

·
Witty custom user title
552 Posts
Yeah, I think I've talked myself into ordering this tomorrow. Looking forward to nuclear-powered redness!

·
Registered
47 Posts
vw_steggie said:
I wonder how it compares to the Magicshine tail light.
I was curious about this as well so I did a google search. It appears that the Dinotte 140R is brighter on high than the Magicshine tail light. (based on this MTBR thread with nice pics by ragnar.jensen: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=620340). Based on bikerneil's comments, the 300R is brighter than the 140R. So:
if Magicshine < 140R and 140R < 300R
:idea:
then Magicshine < 300R.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks Neil; I did find it. A couple of questions for you:

Are the 300R and 140R equally easy to put on and remove?
Do you use them during daylight? I ride canyon roads, and have thought about getting one for use during the day.

·
Registered
72 Posts
mike2g said:
I was curious about this as well so I did a google search. It appears that the Dinotte 140R is brighter on high than the Magicshine tail light. (based on this MTBR thread with nice pics by ragnar.jensen: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=620340). Based on bikerneil's comments, the 300R is brighter than the 140R. So:
if Magicshine < 140R and 140R < 300R
:idea:
then Magicshine < 300R.
Good find, thanks for the link. Looks like the 300R is the way to go.

·
Registered
72 Posts
vw_steggie said:
Good find, thanks for the link. Looks like the 300R is the way to go.
Well I take that back. Just got on the Dinotte store and they still have the 400R for $30 more. Now that is that way to go.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 300R is SUPER easy to put on. Dinotte gives you about 10 different mounting brackets to select from. I have an integrated seat mass on my bike and they still had a bracket that fit. Install took less than 5 minutes. The bracket stays on the bike and the light just snaps on and off. I take mine off when I am not using the light or to recharge the light.

The other nice thing about the new 300R design is the battery is built in to the light, so there is no extra battery to put on your bike.

I don't use my light during the day, but you could.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
got mine, too

bikerneil said:
The 300R is SUPER easy to put on. Dinotte gives you about 10 different mounting brackets to select from. I have an integrated seat mass on my bike and they still had a bracket that fit. Install took less than 5 minutes. The bracket stays on the bike and the light just snaps on and off. I take mine off when I am not using the light or to recharge the light.

The other nice thing about the new 300R design is the battery is built in to the light, so there is no extra battery to put on your bike.

I don't use my light during the day, but you could.

Got mine, too.

It's about twice as large as the 400R. The thing is huge for a tail light, but that includes a battery than can run 12 hours on flashing mode. Looks to be just as bright as the 400R, or very close, at least.

Comes with tons of brackets, including a tear drop shaped one for aero stays, like a Cervelo time trial bike, the first I've ever seen.

I do have a concern about the mini-usb charging port. There's a little silicon rubber cover, but I don't think it will last long, and I'm concerned about water getting in it during a downpour. Anyone know anything about mini-usb ports on bike devices -- the Garmins use the same thing. This is new for Dinotte.

Even as large as it is, it's still a much cleaner install than a separate battery and cable. For a commuter tail light, it is about as close to perfect as you can get.

Oh, and for all who think their little flashy things are bright, like anything with a mini battery, AAA, or AA, they are not even in the same league as these Dinotte tail lights. They capture your attention a mile away in day light. They are incredibly brighter than the $25-50 lights, and worth every penny of $199.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree - it is as close as perfect as a tali light can be (as long as you can afford $199).

I had the same concern about that plug that covers the USB port and Dinotte told me it is a waterproof rated USB port.

I love my light. My wife said I was worth the $199! She is always concerned about my safety riding in the dark. This light is in a league of its own.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
brighterest

bikerneil said:
I agree - it is as close as perfect as a tali light can be (as long as you can afford $199).

I had the same concern about that plug that covers the USB port and Dinotte told me it is a waterproof rated USB port.

I love my light. My wife said I was worth the $199! She is always concerned about my safety riding in the dark. This light is in a league of its own.
I have the 140R and 400R also. For the winter fog here, I will likely run all 3 on my winter commuter, with rack and fenders. It'll look like a firetruck from the back.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
comparisons

bigskychuck said:
Thanks Neil; I did find it. A couple of questions for you:

Are the 300R and 140R equally easy to put on and remove?
Do you use them during daylight? I ride canyon roads, and have thought about getting one for use during the day.
The 140R uses a plastic tube that attaches to your seatpost with a heavy rubber band, then another rubber band to attached the light to the tube. Need to separately attach the battery to your top tube or seat tube, then connect. The 140R can also attach to anything tubular that faces it in the right direction. Just rubber band it on. Hard to attach to seat stays, though, both because of the smaller size and the angle.

The 300R uses a solid clamp mount (they provide a whole bunch of different ones) then has another small plastic angle bracket that connects the large clamp to the light. The light body has a sleeve that slides over the small angle portion. You can remove everything in about 30 seconds with a phillips screwdriver, or just the light by lifting a tab and sliding it off the bracket.

The 400R uses the various solid clamp mounts, but it differs from the 300R in that the 400R bolts to the small angle section with two screws. It cannot slide off. It also has a separate battery, like the 140R.

All of them are easy to put on and take off. The 140R is tool-less, if that matters, but is not as solid a mount and has fewer mounting options.

The advantage to the 400R is that you can substitute another battery in about one minute, which might be helpful for very long events, or should a battery fail. The batteries also work with other tail lights, like the 140R, as well as the headlights. I have 6 Dinotte batteries, and they all work with everything (except the 300R now). If the 300R battery goes bad, looks like you'd have to send it in for service, instead of just buying another battery for $50-70.

I run my all the time on my city commute, day and night. I typically don't run them in daylight on long weekend rides.

·
done
3,293 Posts
Is the body machined aluminum or plastic?

Probably going to order one next week. I wonder if they'll put out a headlight incorporating the same integrated design. Would be perfect for the road bike.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The exterior housing of the light appears to be aluminum, painted black (but I am not sure). The light is heavier than I thought it would be. This tells me it may have an aluminum body.

I have some experience with LED's as I own a lighting company (we do commercial lighting projects). The most important factor for LED's is getting rid of the heat as heat kills the life of the LED. Having an aluminum body to disperse the heat would make sense.

The light is lighter weight than the old 140R battery pack.

You may want to contact the actual manufacturer for details if the construction is critical to you.

I do know one thing: this light is BRIGHT.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just ran across this thread, and I think I may try out a 300R. I have horrible luck with taillights for some reason. They either break and get lost, or they shut themselves off unexpectedly (probably due to the batteries losing electrical contact over rough pavement). I've been avoiding Dinotte because I don't like messing with external batteries and cables, but the built-in battery seems like it would be more reliable on rough terrain.

Also it sounds like it's bright enough that I could probably mount it on my seatpost under my (large) seatbag and it would still be plenty bright even if partially obstructed by the bag.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts