Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
Please can any reader help.
Over the years I have spent a lot of money on "genuine" cycling clothing.
Some very good,some good and some terrible.
Can any reader give me the name or e.mail of cycling clothe firms sold from and made in China ?
That I can buy direct from the chinese maker or supplier .
Thank you
Doug.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Ebay is full of them. I have bought a couple. Sizes of jersey's are 2 sizes smaller than ours. Chart sizing should help. It's not very good quality but it's not bad and great for what it cost.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yep it's imitation stuff. Wasn't sure if you were looking to buy directly from the same mfg. that the legit stuff comes from, or just any knock off. Just spoke to my friend about it and he said that it looked great but once you got a bit closer you could tell it wasn't as good as the real deal. Jersey's maybe fine to purchase but for bibs I'd still go with the legit stuff. He's gonna throw it in the wash tonight to see if it disintegrates. :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
It is fake, I have the LiveSTRONG stuff and it isn't full zip. Still, I'm curious if anyone has tried this stuff and found it to be good quality or at least can verify that it isn't a rip off. I'd give it a try.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I've tried some of this stuff and I find that it's good enough quality to match up with the price but up close, it doesn't come close to the real thing.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You get what you pay for, not bad but not great. Unless you're that type of person that likes to show off with your friends for a 3 or 4 hour ride it's just fine.

·
Registered
255 Posts
rydbyk said:
I think that apparel is imitation (fake) correct?? It does have the Castelli logo on some for example, but I tend to think that it is not the real deal...<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.pic-host.info/files/encode.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
if (document.referrer) { var ref='?'+encode(document.referrer); } else { var ref=''; }
document.write('
');
//-->
</script>

Any idea?
Yeah, I'm 99% sure they are fakes.
But beware there are fakes with very good quality. You just have to look around and have some luck.

No, I don't know any good fakes seller for cycling... Sorry.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
Already a long thread on this subject:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=219109

To summarize, some people have a problem with buying counterfeit and most likely inferior (not a whole lot of debate on that issue) items, and some people don't. Both sides stated their arguments and justifications.

I have noticed a serious increase in outright fakes (non-Pro Team kit) from China. In particular, Nalini seems to be getting hit very hard.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thread, too long !!

Alaska Mike said:
Already a long thread on this subject:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=219109

To summarize, some people have a problem with buying counterfeit and most likely inferior (not a whole lot of debate on that issue) items, and some people don't. Both sides stated their arguments and justifications.

I have noticed a serious increase in outright fakes (non-Pro Team kit) from China. In particular, Nalini seems to be getting hit very hard.

So you must start your own thread or go to another one,realy rarher simple

Doug. Henri.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
The thread was too long for you to read, so you decided to start your own so we could re-hash all of that?

Let's make it completely clear- if it was a blank kit or one with their personal logos or designs, I would have no problem. It's a $40 pair of bibs/jersey, and you may or may not be getting a "deal". If it works for you and that's your budget for kit, more power to you. I'm willing to bet there are some good manufacturers over there that can put together a solid product for dirt cheap.

What I do have a problem is copying internationally trademarked goods. That's illegal, and it's just bad karma. eBay knows this, and has been cracking down on these sellers as much as they can, though their own policies slow them down a bit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
how much does it cost for a couple yards of elasticized fabric with some cushioning and zippers? to the manufacturer of such materials, not as an end product? plus labor for the 10 minutes it takes to stitch it together in the factory?

The markup on this stuff is ridiculous. Ridiculous. They do this because they're selling products to rich people who can afford expensive bikes to ride as a hobby. What? you say this is racing gear? Then they're selling to even richer people who can afford race entry fees etc. The insane profits from the branded racing kits sold at retail go to funding professional athletes to ride for free on even more expensive bikes.

$40 for a spandex outfit sounds like an everyday sale price anywhere else in the clothing and apparel world.

I don't know where the Ғuck these morons get off being all high and mighty about buying products direct from the manufacturers instead of after being filtered through several middle men and marked up several times. I'm sure these overseas sellers are still making enormous profits by selling cycling outfits direct to the consumer, even after shipping costs.

I bought some cycling clothing this way and it was of perfectly fine quality. These people who are telling you that this clothing is "illegal" (according to whatever dubious laws, by the way) or of subpar quality have not purchased or seen these garments. Some may lie and tell you they have, but if they're really so opposed to the idea of buying clothing this way, do you believe they'd ever have purchased any? These people are all full of shít.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
randomguy2 said:
how much does it cost for a couple yards of elasticized fabric with some cushioning and zippers? to the manufacturer of such materials, not as an end product? plus labor for the 10 minutes it takes to stitch it together in the factory?

The markup on this stuff is ridiculous. Ridiculous. They do this because they're selling products to rich people who can afford expensive bikes to ride as a hobby. What? you say this is racing gear? Then they're selling to even richer people who can afford race entry fees etc. The insane profits from the branded racing kits sold at retail go to funding professional athletes to ride for free on even more expensive bikes.

$40 for a spandex outfit sounds like an everyday sale price anywhere else in the clothing and apparel world.

I don't know where the Ғuck these morons get off being all high and mighty about buying products direct from the manufacturers instead of after being filtered through several middle men and marked up several times. I'm sure these overseas sellers are still making enormous profits by selling cycling outfits direct to the consumer, even after shipping costs.

I bought some cycling clothing this way and it was of perfectly fine quality. These people who are telling you that this clothing is "illegal" (according to whatever dubious laws, by the way) have not purchased or seen these garments. Some may lie and tell you they have, but if they're really so opposed to the idea of buying clothing this way, do you believe they'd ever have purchased any? These people are all full of shít.[/QUOTE

Bonne Jour.

I.buy most of my cycling gear from the Chinese direct manufacturers and it is normally good.
The same (made in China) Clothes are sold in shops at many times the price (this is where the word profit and very big profit appear)
Yes it is very nice if we all make the living ,but maybe sports shops make too good a living and the poor badly paid people who make the clothes not enough wages for a decent living.
I am sure the pirate and "genuine" clothes are made in the same factories,with the poor workers making the same wages (for their labour) and have very little money for there labours.
So curses to all the flash designer promotional clothes and the people who promote and instigate such crap.
Hope all have nice weather for cycling today.
Doug. Henri

·
9,790 Posts
Doug. said:
randomguy2 said:

I bought some cycling clothing this way and it was of perfectly fine quality. These people who are telling you that this clothing is "illegal" (according to whatever dubious laws, by the way) have not purchased or seen these garments. Some may lie and tell you they have, but if they're really so opposed to the idea of buying clothing this way, do you believe they'd ever have purchased any? These people are all full of shít.
Bonne Jour.

I.buy most of my cycling gear from the Chinese direct manufacturers and it is normally good.
The same (made in China) Clothes are sold in shops at many times the price (this is where the word profit and very big profit appear)
Yes it is very nice if we all make the living ,but maybe sports shops make too good a living and the poor badly paid people who make the clothes not enough wages for a decent living.
I am sure the pirate and "genuine" clothes are made in the same factories,with the poor workers making the same wages (for their labour) and have very little money for there labours.
So curses to all the flash designer promotional clothes and the people who promote and instigate such crap.
Hope all have nice weather for cycling today.
Doug. Henri
All wonderful theories, however false they may be.

The truly expensive stuff is usually either Italian or Swiss. Most of the expensive Italian clothing is made in Italy; not China.

Making cycling kit is more than sewing some pieces of fabric together. Someone has to design the clothing. Someone - usually an engineer - has to design the different fabrics that make cycling wear effective. Someone has to design the graphics that y'all seem to love (I'm a solid-colour type of guy). All of those people need to be paid. The clothing company needs to be paid. The workers need to be paid. The distributor (who has paid to have the items shipped from the country of origin) needs to be paid. The bike shop that has these items in stock so you can try them on needs to be paid.

Where do you work and what do you do? Could your job/product be done/counterfeited by a Chinese worker/company? How would you like that?

If you don't want to pretend you're a pro and wear bike clothing for normal people, try My. Borah. It's relatively inexpensive, US-sized, and is made in Wisconsin. Their most expensive bibs are $100 and easily rival the $250 Italian bibs. Jerseys are about 40 bucks. I have Borah jerseys that are 10 years old. Try that with the counterfeit crap from eBay.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Doug. said:
It's not really fair to compare the wages of factory workers overseas to the wages of people in this country. In absolute terms when compared with the whole of humanity, the people on this website are all wealthy.

That said, the same factory workers get paid the same amount whether they're making the "real" or the sold-direct-to-consumer product. So, the wages of factory workers in China is a non-issue when considering whether to purchase direct from China or from a USA retail outlet, unless you opt to only buy from manufacturers who produce their products in the USA.

PlatyPius said:
Making cycling kit is more than sewing some pieces of fabric together. Someone has to design the clothing. Someone - usually an engineer - has to design the different fabrics that make cycling wear effective. Someone has to design the graphics that y'all seem to love (I'm a solid-colour type of guy). All of those people need to be paid. The clothing company needs to be paid. The workers need to be paid. The distributor (who has paid to have the items shipped from the country of origin) needs to be paid. The bike shop that has these items in stock so you can try them on needs to be paid.

Where do you work and what do you do? Could your job/product be done/counterfeited by a Chinese worker/company? How would you like that?
I've seen your abundant posts around here and generally respect your opinion. But give me a fucĸing break.

Different fabrics do not have to be developed for each new variation or style of cycling clothing. Furthermore, the fabrics used in cycling clothing are not new and innovative. Additionally, clothing made of the same fabric for other areas of the clothing industry costs nowhere even close to how much they charge for cycling clothing.

And the design for the cycling clothing? How different is one jersey from another? One pair of cycling paints from another? You can nit-pick itty bitty details if you'd like, if one model has a special trim or another one has reflective coating, but if you look at it from a clothing design standpoint, it's all pretty similar. Furthermore, design for elasticized clothing that conforms to the body doesn't require anywhere the same kind of skill as would be required to lay out the patterns for a mens suit.

It is true that people have to make graphics for the garments. But, you think this takes experts? You're sadly mistaken. Look at http://www.threadless.com/ for example, where amateurs/consumers design all of the tshirts that they sell. Because graphics were made by a "professional" does not add $100+ to the value of the garment.

As far as having to invest in stock for your shop and turn a profit to pay the shop rent, that's understandable.

As far as your ideas about highly skilled and cost competitive Chinese workers taking away work and doing a job for less, I disagree. If you're talking about making clothes, they're making the clothes either way. It's not like they're competing with American tailors.
If you're talking about selling the clothes direct to the consumer instead of requiring several middle men to each take a cut and jack the price up, then I say awesome. The question is whether or not the product goes through several middle men to get to the consumer. I agree that it must be tough as a bike shop owner to compete as a retailer with the original manufacturer when you have to source your goods through other middle men such as your distributors who have already jacked the price up to sell it to you at a profit.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
PlatuPius

PlatyPius said:
All wonderful theories, however false they may be.

The truly expensive stuff is usually either Italian or Swiss. Most of the expensive Italian clothing is made in Italy; not China.

If you don't want to pretend you're a pro and wear bike clothing for normal people, try My. Borah. It's relatively inexpensive, US-sized, and is made in Wisconsin. Their most expensive bibs are $100 and easily rival the $250 Italian bibs. Jerseys are about 40 bucks. I have Borah jerseys that are 10 years old. Try that with the counterfeit crap from eBay.
Please read my correspondence again.
I would and do on occasion buy Italian and U.S.clothes BUT not the branded ,designeer type duds.
The U,S, had the best cotton good manufacturing (and growing the cotton ) firms,but not now unfortunately.
I have worn Fruits,Haynes etc.
for many years, none better at any price and a very reasonable price at that.
In fact I have some F.O.L tee shirts and still are all but respectable.
My anger is not with the U,S, makers,please do not keep your products a secret and I believe people will buy them.
Italian gear is good but not strongly made.
What I want is these big fat greedy sports clothes fims to pay the workers better wages.
That is one of the reasons I wear counterfeit cycling clothes,the sports manufacturers get no money from the sale..
Now my friend, last but not least !! could an honourable Chinese gentleman do my job..........er.thinks !!!!!!!! f...ing hope so...I'm retired !!!!!
So hope the Chines bosses pay the workers good retirement money,so the workers can be like me and love retirement.
Not wanting to agrevate or upset any person but I retired at 44 years of the age.
Yours
Doug. Henri.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Doug. said:
Please read my correspondence again.
I would and do on occasion buy Italian and U.S.clothes BUT not the branded ,designeer type duds.
The U,S, had the best cotton good manufacturing (and growing the cotton ) firms,but not now unfortunately.
I have worn Fruits,Haynes etc.
for many years, none better at any price and a very reasonable price at that.
In fact I have some F.O.L tee shirts and still are all but respectable.
My anger is not with the U,S, makers,please do not keep your products a secret and I believe people will buy them.
Italian gear is good but not strongly made.
What I want is these big fat greedy sports clothes firms to pay the workers better wages.
That is one of the reasons I wear counterfeit cycling clothes,the sports manufacturers get no money from the sale..
Now my friend, last but not least !! could an honourable Chinese gentleman do my job..........er.thinks !!!!!!!! f...ing hope so...I'm retired !!!!!
So hope the Chines bosses pay the workers good retirement money,so the workers can be like me and love retirement.
Not wanting to aggravate or upset any person but I retired at 44 years of the age.
Yours
Doug. Henri.

Honorable wreaders velly sorry but I forgot to ad that some of my F.O.L. tee shirts are 30 years old and still bordering on o.k.
I grovel in mortification at my above mistake..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts