1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Further proof bike shops are no longer required. Same goes for car dealers as well.
bike dealers have their useplace though. fairly harmless and very helpful, even if you buy your bikes online

but car dealers. yeah. stain on the planet, parasites all. the skid mark of retail industry. It is a crime that some states force folks to use them with crazy corrupt laws.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I still would recommend a first time buyer go to a good shop (FYI, only one of my 5 bikes came from a shop). For the additional cost, you get advice, experience, fitting, and adjustments.
Maybe. you also might get steered into the inventory they are trying to get rid of and up-sold into stuff that you don't need.

Some shops are great. Others are pure sleeze.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Maybe. you also might get steered into the inventory they are trying to get rid of and up-sold into stuff that you don't need.

Some shops are great. Others are pure sleeze.
Well, I did say a "good" shop. Failing that drag an experienced cycling frind along that can offer some advice

·
Registered
396 Posts
Wonder if a Tesla style approach will work for bikes, only 3rd party. You still have a LBS that can fit you and provide test rides, and they can even have kiosks in the store to purchase the bike. They can have "consultants" that will walk you through the build process if you need it (componentry, groupsets) and you can ship it to the store where they can assemble, for a fee.

Of course they can also sell you the rest of the accessories during the process.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Wonder if a Tesla style approach will work for bikes, only 3rd party. You still have a LBS that can fit you and provide test rides, and they can even have kiosks in the store to purchase the bike. They can have "consultants" that will walk you through the build process if you need it (componentry, groupsets) and you can ship it to the store where they can assemble, for a fee.

Of course they can also sell you the rest of the accessories during the process.
This might work for the high-end, but most bikes sold are lower-end hybrid, comfort and mountain bikes. Those people dont care a whole lot about selecting components and custom fit, they just want to go the a store, find a bike they like, ride it, and buy it.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
This might work for the high-end, but most bikes sold are lower-end hybrid, comfort and mountain bikes. Those people dont care a whole lot about selecting components and custom fit, they just want to go the a store, find a bike they like, ride it, and buy it.
I'd expect chains and big box stores to pick up that market if the little guys start to die. Performace and REI for example will be the step up over Target and Wallyworld. Independant LBS could become boutique shops selling only high end, there's one like that here for mtbs. They only stock demos for a number of smaller companies, you order the frame and they build it up to suit.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Canyon sent me a survey yesterday. Some of the questions suggested they were considering doing that for their own brand. Specifically, they would have a showroom but you would handle the transaction yourself. I have mixed feelings about that because of the non-trivial overhead they'd have to price into their bicycles.

Regarding OP's post, I'm past caring. My main LBS seems to be down to Trek, Specialized, and Cannondale, the same you can get anywhere. The last time I was there they had no cleats in stock for the pedals I had bought from them. At this point, all I want is a decent mechanic.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
A REI store opened in my town a few years ago and soon after a long time locally owned outdoor store (skis, climbing gear, kayaks) closed its doors. My coworker knows the owner and asked him if there was any connection between those things.

The answer was "nope, we just can't make ends meet now that the brands we carry sell direct to the consumer".

I know of another very small store that quit operating because their main brand (Mountain Hardware) did the same thing to them.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
A REI store opened in my town a few years ago and soon after a long time locally owned outdoor store (skis, climbing gear, kayaks) closed its doors. My coworker knows the owner and asked him if there was any connection between those things.

The answer was "nope, we just can't make ends meet now that the brands we carry sell direct to the consumer".

I know of another very small store that quit operating because their main brand (Mountain Hardware) did the same thing to them.
I don't think the time is too far off where our only options are the Trek or Specialized store and mail order.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Please tell me you ride a machete...
Nope. It was a Hannjo Comp. I could have ordered it through REI as well, but they were out of stock at the time. I've also ordered a Lynskey from Adrenaline Bikes in the past.

I'm not nearly cool enough to rock a Machete... :)

The last time I went through an LBS I got a bike with a crushed FD cable and brakes cabled with the calipers in the open position...

The last time I was in an LBS (different shop) just browsing, I listened to the sales guy lie through his teeth to a guy about how carbon rims made a bike "20-30% faster" than a bike with aluminum rims.

·
Cycling Addict
5,170 Posts
I had a customer come in to have us install a short cage Ultegra derailleur and an 11-34 cassette he had purchased from an online vendor. You can get bad information anywhere...

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
I had a customer come in to have us install a short cage Ultegra derailleur and an 11-34 cassette he had purchased from an online vendor. You can get bad information anywhere...
That's true.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts