Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
Joined
·
13,467 Posts
Cable. I like it cuzz I have my phone service thru the cable which is mega cheap. My broadband is expensive and I could get more channels w/ Direct TV for the price, but how many channels can you watch? I had Direct TV a few yrs ago. No complaints. Till I factor in the cost of regular phone service and using DSL (which is cheaper) and Direct TV vs what I have now it's a wash. My advice? Either is fine.
 

·
NeoRetroGrouch
Joined
·
6,491 Posts
No outside sources. VHS & DVD only. - TF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
We live in the boonies. (Which is nice, no traffic.) But also no cable, no DSL for the computer.

Dish, every channel they offer. There's not much to do at night so I like movies, on a big screen. 65" JVC w/ Harmon Kardon surround and a 125 watt JBL woofer.
 

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
Joined
·
24,200 Posts
DirecTV, premium package. I love it. Every time we talk about maybe going with a lesser package we look at the options and decide that we watch pretty much all of the premium channels. We rarely ever rent movies anymore.

Cable for Internet service, only.

Our DTV bill is something like $99. Internet is $50.
 

·
will there be beer?
Joined
·
0 Posts
DirecTV basic package. I like it, picture is worlds better than cable. Everytime I'm at my folks' place I'm appalled (well maybe that's a little strong, but put off anyway) at the quality of their picture a la cable.

my one complaint is that whenever it storms...rain/snow/etc...the reception will go out. kind of a bummer when it's raining and you can't be outside and you think "well i'll just sit here and watch some tube".
 

·
Squirrel Hunter
Joined
·
3,806 Posts
Curmudgeon

TurboTurtle said:
No outside sources. VHS & DVD only. - TF
Me too, rabbit ears antenna. It is always interesting to check into a hotel room and flip through the hundred available channels and still not be able to find something to watch. For a while I lived in fear that child services would come and take my son away since I denied him the right to cable TV.
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,426 Posts
I've got this "thingy" up on my roof that gets me TV for free. .........
My computer has "dial up"
One of my TV's has a "Dial"
My Cell phone is always turned off.
My main bike is steel.
I like to read.
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,426 Posts
What the heck does this mean...........
.
.
Warning: Unknown(/data/data01/web/html/files/plugins/webrequest.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /includes/class_mail.php(254) : eval()'d code on line 3

Fatal error: (null)(): Failed opening required '/data/data01/web/html/files/plugins/webrequest.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear') in /data/data01/web/html/files/includes/class_mail.php(254) : eval()'d code on line 3

I'm suprised that my post went through.......
 

·
here comes trouble
Joined
·
10,045 Posts
CARBON110 said:
What do you like better, cost vs service?? or what eva
DirectTV is almost just like saying satellite. Maybe not in terms of what you pay or what you have to setup, but we used to have it and everytime it rained hard we couldn't watch tv (what else do you do when it's raining hard besides sleep!?).

Now I have what Kram has. We have high spd internet, digital cable, and phone service all through the same company. Saves about $60/mo. The total bill is somethin like $145.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
I've got Directv. I subscribe to the Total Choice Plus package. I love it. I doubt I would switch back to cable...TimeWarner in my area. Sure it goes out during big thunderstorms, but so does cable in my area.

I got Directv about 3 years ago when my wife and I moved into a townhouse that didn't have local cable service run to it yet. Strange huh? Everyone in my subdivision had satellite and I think the guy across the street from me who was an installer for TimeWarner had satellite until they finally hooked up the cable. All the houses had cable run to them, but they hadn't made the connection for the subdivision.

When we bought our house last year, I priced out Directv versus TimeWarner. I think Directv was like $15-$20 a month cheaper than cable. I've got 2 non HD tv's and with TimeWarner, I would be paying an extra $7.50 a month just for the second cable box and remote...the remotes were $1.50 a month. With Directv, an extra box was $5 a month.

I've heard that satellite is better than cable if you have an HD tv. My brother in law has cable and a nice fancy HD LCD tv. When his tv is on a non HD channel, the picture stinks worse than my regular tv with Directv. I haven't seen satellite yet on an HD tv, but will soon when my dad gets his DLP tv.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,518 Posts
jch2112 said:
I've got Directv. I subscribe to the Total Choice Plus package. I love it. I doubt I would switch back to cable...TimeWarner in my area. Sure it goes out during big thunderstorms, but so does cable in my area.

I got Directv about 3 years ago when my wife and I moved into a townhouse that didn't have local cable service run to it yet. Strange huh? Everyone in my subdivision had satellite and I think the guy across the street from me who was an installer for TimeWarner had satellite until they finally hooked up the cable. All the houses had cable run to them, but they hadn't made the connection for the subdivision.

When we bought our house last year, I priced out Directv versus TimeWarner. I think Directv was like $15-$20 a month cheaper than cable. I've got 2 non HD tv's and with TimeWarner, I would be paying an extra $7.50 a month just for the second cable box and remote...the remotes were $1.50 a month. With Directv, an extra box was $5 a month.

I've heard that satellite is better than cable if you have an HD tv. My brother in law has cable and a nice fancy HD LCD tv. When his tv is on a non HD channel, the picture stinks worse than my regular tv with Directv. I haven't seen satellite yet on an HD tv, but will soon when my dad gets his DLP tv.
We switched to Directv from Adelphia cable and have never looked back. The picture quality from the satellite beats cable hands down. The one drawback is since we have only one satellite dish we cannot tape one show while we watch another show. This can be solved if we get an additional dish or maybe if we get TIVO. Haven't looked into it.
 

·
A Canadian in Sweden
Joined
·
6,130 Posts
We've got regular cable that is in the process of being upgraded to accomodate digital tv. All or most of Sweden will be digital in the next few years, and the community association that we're a part of decided to upgrade the whole area at once to save costs later on. All homeowners like us pay an annual fee to the association for maintenance and reduced tv costs, since we are 84 households that have combined buying power. Another reason for the upgrade was that our network was originally built in the early 80s, and was just getting outdated.
 

·
Squirrel Hunter
Joined
·
3,806 Posts
Read This

MR_GRUMPY said:
What the heck does this mean...........
There was a bulletin on cable news... Oh, never mind you don't get cable news.

We tried to call your home phone but the line was busy, appearantly you were using your phone line for your computer modem.

We tried to call your cell phone but no one answered.
 

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
Joined
·
24,200 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
I've got this "thingy" up on my roof that gets me TV for free. .........
My computer has "dial up"
One of my TV's has a "Dial"
My Cell phone is always turned off.
My main bike is steel.
I like to read.
Yup, I'd be grumpy, too. ;)
 

·
NeoRetroGrouch
Joined
·
6,491 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
Me too, rabbit ears antenna. It is always interesting to check into a hotel room and flip through the hundred available channels and still not be able to find something to watch. For a while I lived in fear that child services would come and take my son away since I denied him the right to cable TV.
No rabbit ears - nothing. - TF
 

·
Game on, b*tches!
Joined
·
13,467 Posts
My total for internet service, phone and digital cable is about $105-110, depending if we go over our 500 mins on the phone service. Did I mention that we can call eastern europe w/ our phone service and it's included in the minutes???:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,079 Posts
CARBON110 said:
What do you like better, cost vs service?? or what eva
Basic, basic cable from Comcast. $14 a month. It's just the local channels, and Discovery Channel for some reason. I did it to improve the crappy reception the rabbit ears were getting.

:D The funny thing is I split one of the lines and ran it to another TV in the basement. It picks up almost all of the Standard Cable stations, about 25 or 30 extra that I don't pay for. The bad news is there isn't anything to watch on the extra channels either !:eek:
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
11,980 Posts
I had Direct TV for the last 7-8 years. The picture was frequently awful, every time it rained or snowed, the set would boack-out & give us the old "searching for satellite signal." I had 56K dial-up & wanted to get hi speed. When I asked Direct TV how much it would cost, I almost fell over dead!:eek:

About 8 mo. ago, We switched to Adelphia cable. Combined with the hi-spd internet, it's much, much, much cheaper than Direct TV. The picture is LOTS better than it was with satellite, I've got TIVO, I can watch one show & tape another, watch one show downstairs while She Who Must Be Obeyed watches a different one upstairs. The channel selection is not as good, and the preview / guide screen isn't either, but I'm certainly in no hurry to return to satellite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,270 Posts
il sogno said:
We switched to Directv from Adelphia cable and have never looked back. The picture quality from the satellite beats cable hands down. The one drawback is since we have only one satellite dish we cannot tape one show while we watch another show. This can be solved if we get an additional dish or maybe if we get TIVO. Haven't looked into it.
You can record one and watch another if you have two cables running from the dish to the TIVO box. That does not mean one coming out of the wall and splitting it. I tried that.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top