Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Define dirt road

hoppo said:
i was just wondering what are the best road tires for dirt roads
A dirt road can range from lumpy two track to rough, loose gravel to really well graded and dust controlled smooth hard pack. For the latter, unless you're doing major miles, then it doesn't make much difference. For the former, what's the point. In any case, go with the widest tires that will fit in your frame, and since they're likely to get cut up more, cheap tires makes sense too. Tread patterns are not an issue unless you have a very large clearance frame, like a hybrid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dirt roads in my area vary between roads that have stones pressed into the dirt (very similar to ridding on cobles) to light gravel road which in parts is corrugated. The main concern is punctures (got 2 today).

P.S. I’m a heavy rider, around 100 kg

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
If there's any sharp-edged gravel, you'll start collecting cuts and abrasions on your thin road tire sidewalls. If the damaged areas are small, you can cover them with rubber cement (patch glue, etc.) to keep the threads in place. But eventually, you'll have to toss the tire before the tube blows out the sidewall. As kerry said, cheap is good.

·
Registered
357 Posts
We have a race here in Michigan in a couple weeks that includes dirt roads, with big sharp gravel. I just picked up a pair of Continental Gatorskins in 25 width, which I hope with hold up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts