Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· your text here
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From CN:
14:41 CEST
L'Equpe is reporting that French customs agents have stopped and searched the car of Johnny Schleck, father of Fränk and Andy. We will keep on top of this story and have more as soon as we can.
I remember reading reports/rumors last year that the Brothers Schleck were dirty. Let's hope there is nothing in the car and it is a random stop...

Moderators: As this could have huge impact on le Tour, can we keep this thread in Pro please?

· Administrator
13,151 Posts
How about no. Keep the doping threads in the proper spot.

· Registered
1,252 Posts
I guess you never rule it out, but, did you notice yesterday in the yellow jersey group, every few minutes someone would "go off of the front" and gain two meters on everyone and be pulled back in 20 seconds. It almost seems like the playing field was level. I dont know about sastre, but for the first time that I can remember nobody seems to be able to just ride away from the others. Either we are seeing a distillation of non cheaters (optimistic I know) or just mediocre riders (i dont think so personally). Again, Sastre not withstanding. I mean for two HARD days we have seen everyone in the top five unable to escape each other, aside from VDV crashing and Sastre yesterday. Maybe its a good sign.

· Registered
1,252 Posts
Coolhand said:
How about no. Keep the doping threads in the proper spot.
Lets just have a forum about attacks, and one about CSC riders only, and one forum just for VS compliants, and one for sprint finishes uphill.... Whats more germaine to a TDF/Pro cycling forum than doping? Too many forums.

· Bone idle wanker
746 Posts
I am trying not to be too cynical....but dang; Andy Schleck's ease of climbing, yo-yoing down to the car for bottles and poof! back to the front, plus his serene facial expression like he was on a Sunday ride reminded me of a certain Italian from the Pyrennean stages.

· I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Nothing found in the cars:

from Eurosport.fr

<i> Cyclisme - Tour de France
Aucun produit "dopant ou interdit n'a été découvert" dans la voiture de Johnny Schleck, père de Frank et Andy Schleck, fouillée par les douanes, jeudi à Vizille, au cours de la 18e étape du Tour de France.
</i>

· Registered
973 Posts
The Tedinator said:
I am trying not to be too cynical....but dang; Andy Schleck's ease of climbing, yo-yoing down to the car for bottles and poof! back to the front, plus his serene facial expression like he was on a Sunday ride reminded me of a certain Italian from the Pyrennean stages.

Has he started doping mid tour? He lost a bunch of time in the first mountain stages. Maybe he was faking.

· LA CHEVRE
2,459 Posts
What if the doctor responsible for CSC internal controls was actually helping them not get busted à la Postal/Discovery? Makes even more sense with the same guy being hired by Johan for Astana... I hope it's not the case, I'm just thinking out loud here...

· Fast No More.
770 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
What if the doctor responsible for CSC internal controls was actually helping them not get busted à la Postal/Discovery? Makes even more sense with the same guy being hired by Johan for Astana... I hope it's not the case, I'm just thinking out loud here...
Is that the prevailing conventional wisdom for the team docs during the postal/disco era? Not trying to stir anything up; maybe i've had my head under a rock.

· Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,301 Posts
un-classy way to police doping-

to manage doping, things should be policed systematically. random checks, plus check stage winner. etc.

is part of this program checking the car of a rider who rides well one day?

or was this some emotionally motivated spontaneous move, with no evidence, from some frenchman upset that a frenchman is not leading?

i have seen no indication of a specific reason for searching the schleck car, such as a trail of dripping blood or needles following the car.

that was an un-classy move.

· Premium Member
10,106 Posts
PJay said:
to manage doping, things should be policed systematically. random checks, plus check stage winner. etc.

or was this some emotionally motivated spontaneous move, with no evidence, from some frenchman upset that a frenchman is not leading?

i have seen no indication of a specific reason for searching the schleck car, such as a trail of dripping blood or needles following the car.

that was an un-classy move.
I said something similar back in 2004 when the French police took David Millar into custody days before the start of the Tour de France. But, ultimately, the French police were onto something and Millar confessed. It appears that the French authorities this year are, in part, doing focused searches rather than random ones. Just because every focused search does not result in a bust a la Ricco does not mean that it is an improper, or to use your term "un-classy" investigation method. I hope that the Schleck brothers are clean and I have no reason, other than their spectacular performance, to suspect that they are not clean. But, I have no problem with what the French police did in their apparent targeting of their father's car. After all, there is a history of family members transporting a portable pharmacy to France for the Tour -- remember Raimondas Rumsas' wife?

· I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
PJay said:
NO, but it is part of a ramped-up doping prevention programme in France where, remember, doping is a criminal offense. Since the signing of the Schengen accords, intra-EU border customs controls have been replaced with random and/or targeted internal controls. That is what we see here. And considering the precedent for having family members and other members of a riders entourage provide doping products during races -- not a far-fetched targeting at that.

PJay said:
No, and your asking the question makes me think that you really have no idea about what transpires in France during the month of July. French customs do their work professionally - remember, it was French customs that busted the last great French TDF hope in 1998!

· Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
Dude, nothing was found in the car. It was just a matter of the French police wearing le tinfoil chapeau.

· Banned
608 Posts
Fast Eddie said:
Is that the prevailing conventional wisdom for the team docs during the postal/disco era? Not trying to stir anything up; maybe i've had my head under a rock.
Postal/Disco's doctor was getting info about when out of competition tests scheduled from the Spanish lab responsible for that sort of testing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.