Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a nice old frame Bridgestone RB-2 frame and fork that I want to build up into a light(er) weight fixed gear. (I have a cross check set up for commuting but it's a tank)

Are there any disadvantages of going with the eno vs. purchasing a frame with horizontal drops? The only thing I can think of is geometry change depending on where the eccentric sits in the hub. Thanks

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I have an eno hub laced to an open pro wheel and I have found no downside. Rode it yesterday to work and back. Excellent hub, very well made.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
price... altho the resale value of an eno wheel would be pretty good. some might say slippage, but I've never encountered that

·
Registered
21 Posts
fredom of choice

My Eno allowed me to fix the bike I wanted to ride, rather than having to choose one with horizontals. No slippage problems for mine.

·
Registered
867 Posts
For most people the ENO works great. But for others not so great

Read thisthread. Fixed had a problem with his ENO but came up with a solution.

I have the ENO and it does slip. I need to adjust my wheel at least every week. Would I buy it again, without a doubt because if you have a frame you really like with vertical dropouts this is the way to go.

As for geometry change, in my experience, you will never notice that. If you go the ENO route I do not think you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agree with blakcloud's review. Recommended.

Never had issues with slipping (am 200lbs, ride fixed), though mine is a road conversion (so no offroad single speed rides). The alternative solution seems to be EBB cups for a traditional bottom bracket shell (e.g. Tr!ckstuff Exzentriker or Forward Components EBB), both of which are expensive and presently work only with wide-Q Hollowtech2-style mountain cranks (also expensive). You will probably want to have a 3/4" spanner (in US, Seats has a stubby Craftsman one for a few dollars) and 1-2 hex wrenches in your bag for flats if you ride an ENO.

The machining, bearings, and finish on the ENO hub (as with all White hubs) are excellent. Others have had difficulties fitting an ENO, but seem to be in the minority: 1, 2.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Tom, first post in three years? Awesome!
The ENO works well but it can slip in some cases, for me usually if I was bashing on off road rides. The brakes may need to be adjusted in some cases if you are making a fairly large change in gearing. If you know what ratio you are going to use (and it sounds like you do) go for a single speed straight hub with a half link or correctly sized chain, much simpler and cheaper. Don't wait another three years to post again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts