Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· likes to eat donuts
Joined
·
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I purchased a pair of Sidi Genius 5 road shoes, to replace a pair of Adidas Adistars that I had been using for the past 2 years (broken strap). I first wore the Sidis on Saturday, when I did a 1 1/2 hour ride, and noticed a slight pain on the outside edges of my feet, especially the right foot. On Sunday, I did a 2 1/2 hour ride, and the pain in my right foot became almost unbearable. I contemplated stopping to remove the shoe, but managed to tough it out to make it home. It took about 4 or 5 hours for the pain to subside.
I've never experienced that kind of foot pain while cycling before, and the Adistars felt like I was wearing slippers compared to the Sidis Today, I took the shoes back to the store from where I purchased them and explained the situation, but I was told that there was nothing that they could do for me, as I had worn them. Of course I had worn them.
I am understandably quite upset and somewhat surprised about these shoes. I have owned 3 pair of Sidis in the past, with no problems at all.
Today, I ordered another pair of Adidas shoes, and will now have to try selling these handmade Italian torture devices on e-bay.:frown5:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,230 Posts
cleat placement. either angle or fore/aft or both.

you may also benefit from insertion of a wedge (although the typical problem remedied with a wedge is a hot spot on the inside).

'tain't the shoes, fella. Sidi makes a great shoe. I mean, your feet just plain may not like them, but I'll bet the problem can be addressed, if you want to pursue it.
 

· Deliciously Ironic
Joined
·
1,015 Posts
Double check width

Sorry to hear you've given up on them so fast.

I don't feel that it was the cleat placement completely, I would have checked to make sure your foot wasn't coming over the edge of the last, and cutting into the bottom of your foot. I fear the shop was a little hasty in determining the proper fit, and analysing the spread of your foot in the shoe under pressure.

Were they 'regular' width? Sidi's do come in Mega and Narrow.

FWIW, and Authorised Sidi Fit Center guarantees the shoe, even if you've worn it a hundred miles, the shoe can be returned to that shop. We have never had a Sidi returned to our shop.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
20,696 Posts
Rollo Tommassi said:
Sorry to hear you've given up on them so fast.

I don't feel that it was the cleat placement completely, I would have checked to make sure your foot wasn't coming over the edge of the last, and cutting into the bottom of your foot. I fear the shop was a little hasty in determining the proper fit, and analysing the spread of your foot in the shoe under pressure.

Were they 'regular' width? Sidi's do come in Mega and Narrow.

FWIW, and Authorised Sidi Fit Center guarantees the shoe, even if you've worn it a hundred miles, the shoe can be returned to that shop. We have never had a Sidi returned to our shop.

What she said...The only time I've experienced similar pain is when the shoes were too narrow...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,230 Posts
I allowed for that. but the poster's implication is that there is something inherently wrong with the shoes. there isn't. it may be a bad match, but the Adidas aren't better. they may be better for him, but otherwise they're just different.
 

· likes to eat donuts
Joined
·
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies

These were Mega width shoes, as suggested by the salesman. They felt like an excellent fit to me, but I've always been able to wear a normal width shoe for cycling and otherwise without incident. Like I have said, these shoes have (surprisingly) disappointed me, and I am also not very happy with the service and attitude of the store where I purchased them. I also think that ALL Sidi retaillers should operate as Authorized Sidi Fit Centers, as Rollo has mentioned, and offer no hassle returns for all of their products, although I have never heard of such a center here in Canada.
And since I have never had any similar problems with any other shoe, I certainly don't feel it is worth it or even neccessary to start to fiddle around with wedges, etc.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,230 Posts
the other thing that can happen with sidi's -- and, look, I'm not trying to convince you to like them -- is that they are so danged soft that after just a little break-in, you have to tighten the straps that much more. If your foot is moving around, no cycling shoe is comfortable. try maybe cinching them down a little more.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
I have about five sets of sidi's. The set with that weird buckle did the same thing to me.
I think you may need to go a size up to allow for the buckle.

Think about it. I don't see weird buckles on running shoes, my loafers, moccasins, or my dress shoes. Why have cycling shoes gone dumb tech?

TT
 

· Deliciously Ironic
Joined
·
1,015 Posts
Authorised Fit Centers

Apologies, it didn't occur to me that the Auth. Fit Centers are in North America only. For shame Canadians cannot get that level of service! Not sure who distributes in Canada either.

Not just any shop can be a Fit Center and part of that program, there are requirements and additional training for staff. Plus, having a longstanding track record selling Sidi (in our case, over 20 years)

If it were me, and even if I weren't part of the program, I'd have taken the shoes back. Better to have a happy customer than angry feet.

Beyond that, not every shoe fits every foot, and there must be something drastically different between the two models to cause such a result. Impossible to say without seeing the whole system, ie, shoe/foot/pedal/cleat. Wedging/shimming and otherwise trying to compensate the shoe may just make things worse.


piano said:
These were Mega width shoes, as suggested by the salesman. They felt like an excellent fit to me, but I've always been able to wear a normal width shoe for cycling and otherwise without incident. Like I have said, these shoes have (surprisingly) disappointed me, and I am also not very happy with the service and attitude of the store where I purchased them. I also think that ALL Sidi retaillers should operate as Authorized Sidi Fit Centers, as Rollo has mentioned, and offer no hassle returns for all of their products, although I have never heard of such a center here in Canada.
And since I have never had any similar problems with any other shoe, I certainly don't feel it is worth it or even neccessary to start to fiddle around with wedges, etc.
 

· dropped!
Joined
·
485 Posts
what a shame that your store (or country) doesn't support the sidi guaranty. that was a big decision when it came to buying my shoe as i was in between sizes. i knew that if it didn't fit, i could always go back to the store and exchange them for a different size. another reason to support real as opposed to virtual stores.

the other reason is that the last pair of sidi's were fantastic shoes!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,270 Posts
I just got a new pair of Sidi 5.5s to replace a pair I had worn out, same size as the old ones. I typically buy a Dr. Scholl's gel insert for my Sidi's since I have a fairly narrow foot, but I thought I would try these without them, but double the Sidi footbed since I had several extras. I thought my feet were on fire like the OP descirbes the first few rides...... then I bought the same Dr. Scholl's insert as in my other 4 pairs of Sidis and all is well. They are now some of my favorite shoes. I'd give the new shoes a little more time, work on cleat placement, and consider a different sole insert.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
I found my sidis to be very comfortable. However, 30 miles into a ride my feet would hurt like crazy. I picked up the specialized bg footbed and all is well now. Why such a nice shoe comes with a worthless insole is beyond me.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
I replaced the footbeds in my Sidi Megas after pain similar to what the OP describes. It wasn't like a slipper at first, but 95 miles later I was pain free. Now, as for the top of my right big toe, beats me what was going on there? I thought I was losing my toenail it hurt so much. I didn't, but it took 24 hours for the numbness to go away.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,230 Posts
my feet are on the flat side (which is one reason I think that Sidis work for me -- I was swimming in Specialized, and the higher Carnac footbed felt as if there was a walnut under my arch), and I use the OEM insoles.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
gh1 said:
I like my Sidi's but the insoles are crap. Not to threadjack too much but what insoles are you guys replacing the stock ones with?
My shoes first pained me like OPs. I had everything adjusted by my fitter and he highly recommended the red specialized insoles for my sidi ergos. I also had a shoe smith widen the toe box because of my big bunions. Feet can now handle 8 hours on the bike without thinking about them. It's the other parts.....
 

· ..............
Joined
·
793 Posts
:D
Rollo Tommassi said:
Apologies, it didn't occur to me that the Auth. Fit Centers are in North America only. For shame Canadians cannot get that level of service! Not sure who distributes in Canada either.
Hey Rollo......I thought Canada was still in North America? :D

Just to echo the other posters comments, try out another set of insoles before you ditch the shoes.

The first thing I've done with every pair of sidis I've owned is to toss the insole. Also, like with most shoes, it does take some miles to break in the shoes and the insoles until they really conform to your feet.

I wouldn't give up on them just yet.
 

· Deliciously Ironic
Joined
·
1,015 Posts
Ha!

TWD said:
:D

Hey Rollo......I thought Canada was still in North America? :D

Omg I can't believe I wrote that. Mrs. Cooper from 6th Grade Geography will kill me!! :blush2:
Didn't we sell that part of the continent to the Soviets?
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top