Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I've just got my SRAM Red groupset but haven't had a chance to fit it yet. I'm just wondering now if i should keep hold of it or sell it and wait to see the new Dura Ace and Campy offerings for 2009.

The reason I am disappointed is that SRAM has already upgraded the group for 2009 (new crank/bb30) this is quite interesting as the other two manufacturers seem to have products that are good for 3-4years before any upgrades. I feel that it is a bit of the scam by SRAM to release upgrades a year after launching a brand new gruppo.

I know that keeping up with new technologies and products is a never ending thing, but to be out of date months after spending quite a lot of money on bicycles parts is a little much....don't you think?

· Registered
84 Posts
I hear the 2010 SRAM will be 12 speed w/ bluetooth shifting.:rolleyes:

You'll be chasing your tail. The current red group is nice you'll enjoy it. But if it's going to nag at you, get what makes you happy.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi AH1

Thanks for your thoughts...and as i mentioned, i realise that something new is always on the horizon....but if you bought Campy record in 2007 or Shimano DA 7800 in 06...there's a good few years before new stuff is announced.

The new Red crankset has been announced less than a year (?) after the launch of the current version. that's got to be pretty disappointing for a lot of people.....

i know exactly what you mean about that nagging feeling and that's exactly what i feel now...should i wait? or should i just use red. Mind you, I'm on 105 now so whatever it is it will be a step (or two) up....

· Banned
328 Posts
Regarding BB30, that's a bottom bracket standard that has gained some ground, the point is it's not a component upgrade - either you have a frame with BB30 or not. By having the option of BB30 SRAM can not sell to the BB30 frame crowd such as C'Dale, some specialized and some custom bikes.

If you want the latest and greatest you will never be happy - or you will have to spend mad cash.

I think of it this way, Cunego won the giro just a few years ago on a C'Dale aluminum frame with campy and Ksyrium wheels. It was good enough then, it's still good enough now.

· More cowbell!
2,729 Posts
You own the best groupset currently available on the market, and you're complaining? Is your life incomplete if you don't have the latest and greatest of everything? Are you a privateer pro we've never heard of where the difference between 6.801kg and 6.800kg might mean winning the world championships? How about giving yourself a reality check.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cyclo-phile said:
You own the best groupset currently available on the market, and you're complaining? Is your life incomplete if you don't have the latest and greatest of everything? Are you a privateer pro we've never heard of where the difference between 6.801kg and 6.800kg might mean winning the world championships? How about giving yourself a reality check.
i'll take that with a pinch of salt...

on the contrary, i am a relative newbie...and have decided totake a plunge on buying a top end gruppo asi've started racing and am enjoying it all...

i've always loved campy and i think it is the brand with the most passion etc (if that means anything anymore)...

i chose to go SRAM as like someone mentioned, it is the best gruppo available now...of course the DA 7900 is imminent and Campy 09 stuff will be announced shortly...

so this is why i have a dilemna...stick with the RED, wait to see what Campy 09 has to offer or just trade the RED in for the current Record.

silly i know...but hey...this is a cycling forum to talk about cycling stuff so i thought i'd start the conversation...

· Registered
84 Posts
Let me give you an example from the Sports car industry. Porsche does a face lift every 6-8 years. How do you get a buyer out of his perfectly good car, drop 120K and into a new one that looks about the same. Small tweaks that cost the company very little, a little more HP, a little stiffer door post, some carbon fiber in an airbox, and the guy that needs the latest greatest is forking over the cash...
Don't forget the marketing aspect. How else do you get someone with a very good group or high end bike Into a new one?. Make it "stiffer", "add a little more carbon fiber, add an extra gear or ceramic bearings...

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good point....

i guess i'm just thinking my SRAM Red will be obsolete in 3-4years....whereas my Campy Record will be a classic...

· Registered
1,872 Posts
I was actually pretty happy after reading the details on 2009 Dura Ace. SRAM Red is still lighter--and most of the new improvements in Dura Ace are clearly 'inspired' by SRAM Red. You can ride SRAM Red, and feel like you were one of the first to pick up on the newest innovations (SRAM Red is still lighter than 09 Dura Ace), or you can switch back to Campy or Shimano and send the signal you don't like innovation (and prefer the 1-2 big changes per year).

It's your SRAM parts that are forcing the big changes to Dura Ace this year--as well as putting pressure on Campy.

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,357 Posts
encomium said:
good point....

i guess i'm just thinking my SRAM Red will be obsolete in 3-4years....whereas my Campy Record will be a classic...
Meh.

Do you hear/see people going gaga over old Record/Chorus ergos? 8 speed brifters are obsolete-and they're never going to be a "classic" a la Super Record down-tube, same with 9s and 10s and probably the coming 11s etc.

I ride Campy-but h*ll you already have a top end gruppo-build it. What more do you want from a drive-train?

G

·
encomium said:
good point....

Why on earth will it be "obsolete"?

Will it still shift gears and turn the chain around the cogs?

Then it isn't "obsolete".

I still have a couple of bikes that run 40 year old 5 speed systems - they are, quite frankly, just as fast as any 10 speed bike I own.

· Registered
47 Posts
welcome to being a sram beta tester
Lots of people are in your same shoes. While shimano and campy have got decades of r&d sram does not.
No FD lower ring trim, breaking FD cages, brake caliper recalls by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, noisy performance and so on ultimately will make a company like sram have more refresh components than shimano or campy.
It took years for campy to perform as smooth and quiet as the record group does. Sram's only been in the road groupo game for approx 2 yrs. And they 'bought' themselves in the game. Expect growing pains for yrs to come

· Registered
1,872 Posts
Campy doesn't believe in recalls--there have been rumors in the past that Campy *should* have recalled several products. Shimano has recalled products, too--including cranks,cleats and quick releases in the past few years. I was an early adopter of SRAM Force, and they'd already resolved the issue before I even got mine. If you talk to most bike shops, they'll say SRAM stands behind their products (and has on their mountain bike parts for many years) and will choose the right thing (with a recall) when appropriate. Not all cycling brands put your safety first.

If you don't think SRAM's technology is what is putting them in the game, you obviously haven't looked at Shimano and Campy 2009 products.

· Registered
1,752 Posts
roadieKill said:
Lots of people are in your same shoes. While shimano and campy have got decades of r&d sram does not.
No FD lower ring trim, breaking FD cages, brake caliper recalls by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, noisy performance and so on ultimately will make a company like sram have more refresh components than shimano or campy.
It took years for campy to perform as smooth and quiet as the record group does. Sram's only been in the road groupo game for approx 2 yrs. And they 'bought' themselves in the game. Expect growing pains for yrs to come
What? Sram shifting is different, not inferior. I prefer the feel and noise of Sram shifting on both my road and mountain bikes. Hell, in the mountain bike arena, Sram basically POWNED Shimano. It produced such better shifting that Shimano was forced to essentially drop its "shift lever integration" only policy.

· Registered
7 Posts
BB30 is just an additional crank option. They didn't redo their whole gruppo, it's still current. They just gave you another option with cranks. Just as they have traditional double and compact double cranks, now they offer BB30. Check yourself!

· Registered
368 Posts
roadieKill said:
roadieKill said:
No FD lower ring trim,noisy performance and so on ultimately will make a company like sram have more refresh components than shimano or campy.
campy is the only one that has that, shimano doesnt and why is it that you want to be in the small ring anyway? as for the noise yes i will admit that comparded shimano SRAM is loud but that is in part to the hollow cassette which is crazy light and ALL steel and compared to campy the noise is about the same. as mentioned in other posts the new 09 DA is still heavier than Red and it looks like crap, its like they took there XTR line and made it road ready, might i also mention its about time that a DA compact crank came out. that only took how many years.

· Registered
5,671 Posts
Today's midrange and up components/frames/wheelsets are all superb. The differences are more about personal preferences than performance. SRAM has been innovative with their new road components, and Red continues that innovation. I've been riding their road components for about a year and it's been flawless based on a training volume of 15-25 hours/week, in all sorts of road conditions. Your equipment isn't going to make much difference-just ride hard.

· Registered
47 Posts
b24fsb said:
campy is the only one that has that, shimano doesnt and why is it that you want to be in the small ring anyway?
yeah youre right... why do i wanna be on the small ring anyways?? DUH !!!!!
Shimano has trim on both small and large crank rings.

b24fsb said:
as for the noise yes i will admit that comparded shimano SRAM is loud but that is in part to the hollow cassette which is crazy light and ALL steel and compared to campy the noise is about the same. as mentioned in other posts the new 09 DA is still heavier than Red and it looks like crap, its like they took there XTR line and made it road ready,
No, the noise is NOT the same with campy. Sram operates noisiest of the 3 groups. And the weight is negliable at just a few grams.(approx 100g diff only) And dont go on now showing me weight differences between sram red groupo and DA because sram DONT make pedals or a seat post, so like i said... its negliable.... an avg weight water bottle cage maybe.

b24fsb said:
might i also mention its about time that a DA compact crank came out. that only took how many years.
first of all its FSA that should get the credit for bringing the compact crank to the mainstream.
And it was the 2003 tour that Tyler Hamilton rode with a compact where pro riders were starting to take notice. Now guess what compact crank he was using???? :D
And in 2003 Sram wasnt even a fart in the wind.

But "if" its said that the birth of the compact started with Tyler, it really came as a fluke. Tyler was not planning on riding ala-Lance via cadence but rather because of his broken collarbone during the 03 TDF his CSC mechanic gave him a compact crank so he could still ride without having to power over the pedals with his norm crank.

· Registered
368 Posts
first let me ask do you own or have you even ridden a bike with Red? I have Red so i know first hand how it rides and behaves.

so what if SRAM doesn't make pedals or a seat post, ect. I wouldn't ride shimano pedals anyway, my KEO carbon CrMo pedals are lighter and nicer than DA pedals. people have been crying for a DA compact crank for a long time and it took shimano seeing that they are not on top anymore to try and please the public, whats up with that. As for the noisy driveterrain i think that campy is still louder. the noise is 100% because the cassette is hollow, its resonating inside the hollow cassette and if you have carbon wheels and a carbon frame it just amplifies the noise. to me SRAM took all the weight out that it could but yet it did not sacrifice perfomance and durability at all. you have a very light cassette thats all steel, DA is half Ti and steel and we know that Ti does not last as long as steel. to me if you look at shimano's new DA it is very SRAM inspired, SRAM came in and shook everything up and made change happen. otherwise both campy and shimano would innovate whenever they feel like it. its clear to me that you are not a SRAM fan and thats cool, im not a shimano fan. thats why its great that there are now 3 groupo's to choose from, having options makes manufactures keep trying to one up the other and thats good for us the consumer.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
Personally, I've had Shimano, Campy and SRAM on this bike, and regardless of the drivetrain the loudest part of my drivetrain has consistently been the Campy (Fulcrum) freehub. No complaints about drivetrain noise here--and I actually like the Campy wheel noise.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.