Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have done lots of searching here as well as google searches on disc brake cross or touring bikes, and I am still coming back to the Double Cross DC, but want to make sure I have considered all options before pulling the trigger.

I am looking for a steel frame, with disc mounts, rack mounts, room for fenders, and fender mounts. It will not be used for fully loaded touring. Mostly just riding around town as a commuter, or light touring.

Any opinions on the double cross, or anyone know of an alternative?

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
make sure you've got your rack situation figured out, sometimes they don'y play nice w/ discs... you could always change the fork on any number of frames and go mullet

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FatTireFred said:
make sure you've got your rack situation figured out, sometimes they don'y play nice w/ discs... you could always change the fork on any number of frames and go mullet
Good point on the rack. I already have an Axion rack, that is made for disc brakes. Currently I am using that rack on a road bike with super short chainstays, and this rack moves the panniers back far enough to not be in the way of my heels.

The mullet option would definitely open up a hole lot more frame possibilities, but my gut still says disc front and back. I might do the mullet option on a Miyata 916 that has a badly bent fork on it. A carbon fiber disc fork on that bike would look sweet...

·
E Plurbus Elvis
1,055 Posts
Quick & Dirty Summary:

Soma - DC - $
Gunnar - Fastlane - $$
Independent Fabrication - Independence $$$$

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tarwheel2 said:
Salsa La Cruz, if you can still find one of the steel ones.
My favorite LBS has a La Cruz, that I could get a good deal on, but it doesnt have rack mounts. I did think about it though. There is the Vaya too. Looks cool, but it doesnt quite do it for me.

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I've been looking at the Soma Double Cross DC as well. I love the color and look of this bike. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but it would definitely be a cool build.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Frame/fork only...

I am going to pick up one of these Origin 8 CX700 frames. At $200 frame/fork, it'll make an a good basis for a spare parts do-all fireroad bike.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you don't mind alloy, Kinesis do the Decade Tripster as a F&F

You can get them from CRC at the moment for A$585 which includes the DC-19 carbon fork (about A$200 by itself). Weights are under 1.8kg even for the XL frame size.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Other options would be the Redline Conquest Classic, Jamis Aurora Elite, and Jamis Bosanova. All are sold as complete bikes that would likely come in at under the price of building up a Soma DC.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thoran said:
Other options would be the Redline Conquest Classic, Jamis Aurora Elite, and Jamis Bosanova. All are sold as complete bikes that would likely come in at under the price of building up a Soma DC.
The Aurora Elite has been on the list too. My best riding buddy wants one, and that has been most of me shying away from it. The Bosanova is awesome! I have not seen that before. Thanks for the info, I will look into that one...

·
Registered
151 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts