Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So are there reasons for not using disc brakes on road bikes? Is it the weight? Im sure some bikes havethem (havent seen any) but was wondering why since MTB's all use disc why not road bikes? Thanks

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Welcome to the forums. It's obvious you're new around here. Spend a little time reading and searching, you'll find more than you'd ever care to know on the topic.

The cycling news outlets are full of information and conversations, too.

·
Cathedral City, CA
910 Posts
The main reason is the stopping power benefits do not out weigh the additional weight that disc brakes add to a road bike. you see them more and more now on cyclocross bikes and long haul touring bikes.
Tandems also...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Living on the "wet coast", I use disc brakes on my all-weather-go-everywhere bike because they are so much better in the wet, there is no contest. In fact, I feel no perceptible change in performance between dry and wet conditions while using disc brakes. Water does not seem to bother disc brakes at all.

My race oriented bikes have regular rim brakes of course.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Aside from the increased weight and air resistance they add, I think another thing is reduced safety on long descents. I believe I've read they cool slower than rim tracks, making them more dangerous on long descents. Of course mountain biking and cyclocross will see this problem less often.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I echo you must be new here. :) This has been debated several times and also in various magazines.
I just purchased a Volagi with disc brakes. I just liked the idea of discs and the ability to go with full carbon wheels down the road if I want with no issues. I also like supporting smaller companies.
Like everything else I think it depends on what type of riding you are doing. I chose my bike not just because of the discs but because I need a relaxed frame that performs well on climbs and longer distances.
As far as weight and wind resistance I would say these are negligible for my case. If I were doing racing or crits I would choose something different but I imagine most riders in this board could not feel the differences no matter what they claim. My bike should be sub 16 pounds and hopefully closer to 15.5 in a size. 57. That's a couple of pounds lighter than my current steel and carbon joy made by Taylor.
Specialized is coming out with a disc equipped Roubaix. Of course it's because of Volagi but I wonder how many people will think discs are a "great idea" then.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,558 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Never needed them, even in heavy downpours.

·
BONC founding member
107 Posts
...though subject has been discussed from many different angles, preferences, family upbringings and regional gang relation.
Discs are going to continue to come-on without hesitance; a market hot sandwich of selling the next-best, but real functional reasoning behind them too. Many of the disc criticisms above are so damn dated -where to start? And something needs not be broken to be redesigned, more refined, and add that many more attributes.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
I echo you must be new here. :) This has been debated several times and also in various magazines.
I just purchased a Volagi with disc brakes. I just liked the idea of discs and the ability to go with full carbon wheels down the road if I want with no issues. I also like supporting smaller companies.
Like everything else I think it depends on what type of riding you are doing. I chose my bike not just because of the discs but because I need a relaxed frame that performs well on climbs and longer distances.
As far as weight and wind resistance I would say these are negligible for my case. If I were doing racing or crits I would choose something different but I imagine most riders in this board could not feel the differences no matter what they claim. My bike should be sub 16 pounds and hopefully closer to 15.5 in a size. 57. That's a couple of pounds lighter than my current steel and carbon joy made by Taylor.
Specialized is coming out with a disc equipped Roubaix. Of course it's because of Volagi but I wonder how many people will think discs are a "great idea" then.
Disc brake equipped Volagi in size 57cm under 16 lbs? I'll believe when I see it.

·
Cycling Dolomiti Friuli
14,606 Posts
Living on the "wet coast", I use disc brakes on my all-weather-go-everywhere bike because they are so much better in the wet, there is no contest. In fact, I feel no perceptible change in performance between dry and wet conditions while using disc brakes. Water does not seem to bother disc brakes at all.

My race oriented bikes have regular rim brakes of course.
This is why I'm considering discs for my next road bike. I do much climbing in the mountains with capricious weather (blue skies to thunderheads in an hour or two) and precipitous descents. The weight difference doesn't bother me- I'm not racing.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Disc Brakes are the new Dork Disks.
There's some truth to that—and it partly answers the OP's question of why disc brakes aren't used on road bikes. Marketing high-end road bikes has to take into consideration that many riders of such bikes want to look like actual racers (no underseat bag, no visible pump, no disc brakes, etc.). So while there are no functional reasons prohibiting disc brakes, there are marketing ones. Of course, if the UCI allows disc brakes and actual racers adopt them, disc brakes would cease to be dorky almost overnight.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Much debated, and out on plenty of bikes already. (Surprised you haven't seen them, OP.)

When I killed my last commuter and had the option of an older Trek Portland or a similarly aged and priced bike with rim brakes, I went for the Portland. I'm really liking the disc brakes. I'd recommend them to anyone who rides in crappy weather much.

On a nice day, whatever. But I think everyone already knew that. :)

If I ever buy a road bike to race, I'll probably be too vain to get a model that comes with discs. I "know" better than to worry about it, given that I'd be coming in in Cat. 5 and this country really only cares that I have brakes on both wheels. But still - if I'm going to buy a bike to race, it's going to be racing bike. :D

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Aside from the increased weight and air resistance they add, I think another thing is reduced safety on long descents. I believe I've read they cool slower than rim tracks, making them more dangerous on long descents. Of course mountain biking and cyclocross will see this problem less often.
Disagree with you here. I will say that matching rotors and size is more important with disks.

I've done this one long decent around here on a CX bike with disks (25 mm road tires though) and on my CAAD10 with rim brakes. Now, I only did this a few times, but I was faster on the CX bike. I also felt way more confident with the disks than the rim brakes.

With Kettle cycles now shipping these lite/heat disapating carbon/ceramic rotors, the weight and heat issues will be less.

I wonder how many riders would pass on a bike because they did not want to be "different" on the group ride?

·
BONC founding member
107 Posts
Disagree with you here. I will say that matching rotors and size is more important with disks.

I've done this one long decent around here on a CX bike with disks (25 mm road tires though) and on my CAAD10 with rim brakes. Now, I only did this a few times, but I was faster on the CX bike. I also felt way more confident with the disks than the rim brakes.
With Kettle cycles now shipping these lite/heat dissipating carbon/ceramic rotors, the weight and heat issues will be less.
I wonder how many riders would pass on a bike because they did not want to be "different" on the group ride?
This is just one of the disc/phobias 'for the day' I was referring to. On many group pave rides, I hop on my K2 Enemy w 25c & some old Hayes Mags, (a decent aging model!). There are some VERY LONG descents, then extreme long steeps. Not only do I end up at the bottom first - by circumstance; every rim rider is "gripped", I can even pulse w greater pressure for the power needed, feel very safe, and my rotors get no more hot than other times, never any warpage. Just not enough heat. 160mm (I can rush the corners as fast as I want, if I want, great control.)
Now look what Shimano has done w their latest disc offerings for 2012/13 -still more noticeable improvement. I have them also on other rigs because they are that good.
I remember those pics of the guy who fried and crashed on discs, prolonged road descent. He was riding the most piss-poor hyper cut-out rotors one could EVER choose, and those who WOULD consider real braking would not. They were being sold by sheer weight desire (Ashima 'dream catchers' design?). That was crazy.

I appreciated the "Dork Discs" comment- didn't think about the psychology there; pro to rec market pressure effect. I didn't think about that at all, and some of my rim road machines show such component choices, some initiated by ME! Under the spell too.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
At this point, I will wait to see if the pros will use them. UCI has not allowed the in road racing yet. And unless the pros use them, then they will be relegated to hybrid, commuter, cyclocross, and maybe roubaix bikes.

I will say that at this point, I seem to see a lot of resistance from those who buy the top end bikes. For example, guys buying Colnago C59 buy the non-disc version. Specialized put disc on their Roubaix (but I have yet to see on in the wild), Tarmac and Venge don't get them. Could this be indicative of what the pros want? or rather, not want?

I don't seem to care for disc though, because maybe most of my riding don't involve using the brakes, and when I do need to use them, rim is quite adaquate (but I'm only 130 lbs). And yes, I do ride the mountains of Socal frequently. And yes, I and along with many of my buddies do go fast on the down, sometimes keeping up with slow motorcycles for stretches. But to be fair, I dont ride in wet conditions at all, because riding in the wet mountains is just asking for it.

I also disc in crit racing is a dangerous thing. I probably would want to some guy behind if he has dics on because the thought of getting sliced by his disc in a pile-up is a real possibility. I do mountain biking and that dam 203mm rotar hit me a couple times in crashes but luckily I got my camelpack and elbow pads and long sleeved shirt to shield me. On a roadie in a pile-up, I'm totally exposed to that disc.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.