Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I apologise if this is a common question - I can't for the life of me find the old board to check the archives there...

Anyway, I have a Cannondale Cyclocross Disc on the way (I don't race thankfully!) and I am already thinking of a new set of wheels so I can have knobbies on one set and slicks on the other. First of all, I can't find anything on the Cannondale website regarding the rear hub spacing... I have been told it is standard road spacing... is that correct?

So where would I start looking for an off-the-shelf 700c wheel with disc hubs? If they are difficult to get pre-built, can anyone recommend cost effective alternatives?

Thanks in advance
Matt

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
I don't know of any 130mm disc hubs or wheels...

I bet it's 135mm or 132.5 so you can use either. If so, it is easy to build a 700c rim onto a MTB hub. Cane Creek may make a built wheel, Crono-CX or something like that.

I run 2 sets of wheels on my CX bike (non-disc) and would recommend using the same hub for both sets. Each model of hub is a little different and could cause allignment problems with the rotor and/or cassette. You want to be able to just pull one out and pop the the other in and go, not have to adjust the rear derailleur and/or disc caliper.

TF

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Velomax makes the 130 spaced disc specific wheels. I'd get them in a hurry as they are banned by UCI and may become hard to find. You can see them on Redline's website. C"DAle has a hub built under their house name as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dreww said:
Its 130mm standard road, Mavic make the speedcity a decent disc wheelset pretty cheap. about 250 i think.
Thanks (to all) for the information - when I checked on the Mavic site the Speedcity is listed with a 135mm rear... so that won't work if it's a 130mm... or are there different versions?

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
405 Posts
UKMatt said:
Thanks (to all) for the information - when I checked on the Mavic site the Speedcity is listed with a 135mm rear... so that won't work if it's a 130mm... or are there different versions?

Thanks
Matt
it will work just requires a little stretching, my Giant CX had 135mm and i rode 130mm wheels, had to push the drop puts in thats all.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dreww said:
it will work just requires a little stretching, my Giant CX had 135mm and i rode 130mm wheels, had to push the drop puts in thats all.
Again, thanks very much - this is all good information.

I have some concerns about using incorrectly sized hubs on an aluminum frame on a regular basis, especially one with disc brakes (which require very specific alignment)... so other than stretching the frame around a MTB sized hub, am I stuck with the one set of wheels it came with? I also looked up velomax but couldn't find them available on the web....

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
43 Posts
Cost effective.

That really puts a damper on it. 130mm spaced King ISOs would be the hot ticket. But you're looking at $450 - $500 US. DT Swiss Hugi might slip a road axle in a disc hub for ya. Most cost effective way would be Shimano XT or LX disc hubs with road axles

·
ex pro grad student
68 Posts
atpjunkie said:
Velomax makes the 130 spaced disc specific wheels. I'd get them in a hurry as they are banned by UCI and may become hard to find. You can see them on Redline's website. C"DAle has a hub built under their house name as well.
You should be okay with a Velomax wheelset. They're trying to push Disc wheels in the roadie market as well... So I would expect that they won't be getting rid of them, but pushing them more... (Did you see that disc road bike from the Interbike photos?)...

·
Registered
69 Posts
UCI Regulations

atpjunkie said:
Before we start all the UCI bashing---Disc wheels are not specifically banned by the UCI. They are just not on the approved list of equipment, it is a subtle but nuanced difference. Prior to use in UCI competition, all technological innovations must be approved by the management committee. Now if anyone can find proof that a manufacturer or team has approached the UCI to get approval and was rejected we can start making all the accusations that permeate the Internet and newsgroups these days.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agreed

I can see your point - that's why I mentioned I don't race - I just want to know the best way to get a second set of wheels - whether they're 'banned' or 'not approved' makes no difference to me at all - I don't race and don't intend to race (if only I were fit enough!).

One thing mentioned above about the spacing - I apologise for my lack of knowledge, but is it possible to swap out the axle or other parts on a mountain hub so that it fits a road spaced frame?

Thanks
UKMatt

·
Banned
3,915 Posts
The Velomax CX-specific wheels are called "Sagitta's". I believe they retail for $400.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Aluminum or Aluminium Flexing

I wouldn't suggest flexing the dropouts on an Al bike to accomodate wrong size hubs. On Steel sure but Al....not a good idea. RE: UCi not a bash, call it whatever but if discs don't get UCI approval the wheels will be harder to find (as there will be very little market. I don't really care either way but I know trade teams sponsored by Cannondale and Redline had to scramble to get non-disc bikes this season as both companies 'race bikes' were disc equipped.

·
Banned
3,915 Posts
Hey atp -

I didn't know about the teams having any problems with the UCI ruling on disc brakes. I just figured Velomax was offering the disc version of those wheels for those who want them as an alternative to the non-disc version. I would have thought that the Conquests for team use would have been automatically set up with non-disc wheels due to the existing rules.

On that topic, I'm in favor of discs for CX, mainly because of all forms of cycling, discs seem to be best suited to CX's usual nasty conditions. If nothing else, discs could at least save on wear of the wheel's sidewall.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Find you a C-dale dealer

UKMatt said:
Hi,

I apologise if this is a common question - I can't for the life of me find the old board to check the archives there...

Anyway, I have a Cannondale Cyclocross Disc on the way (I don't race thankfully!) and I am already thinking of a new set of wheels so I can have knobbies on one set and slicks on the other. First of all, I can't find anything on the Cannondale website regarding the rear hub spacing... I have been told it is standard road spacing... is that correct?

So where would I start looking for an off-the-shelf 700c wheel with disc hubs? If they are difficult to get pre-built, can anyone recommend cost effective alternatives?

Thanks in advance
Matt
They've probably got a few Bad Boys' wheelsets hanging around that didn't sell with the bike. Not the best wheelset out there, but it fits your bill and you can probably work a deal.

I saw a pair at UC Cyclery here in San Diego last time I was in...

Mike

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Answer from Cannondale

Hi,

Just a quick update - according to Cannondale (via email), the frame is spaced for a mountain bike hub so the Mavic Speedcity will work fine and I guess I can get a custom set built with 700c rims and MTB hubs if necessary...

Thanks for all the suggestions
UKMatt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.