Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This site and the users of this forum have been great in assisting/advising me on new equipment…. So I am going to pose another question to all of you, thanks in advance.

I am considering a disc wheel for my TT bike and have narrowed it down between the Reynolds Element, Zipp Sub9, and the Zipp 900. What would you select or should I be looking at something else?

I am also thinking about lacing it with a PowerTap but not sure I want that on the race wheel.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts, thanks.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Of the three you mention, I only have personal experience with the Zipp 900, a great wheel. My first disc was a Renn 575 and I got the Zipp for this year. Its a much better wheel than the Renn, lighter, more true, better hub. The owner of our LBS has a Sub 9 on his TT bike and seems to really like it as well. I guess if you can swing the extra $$$ and don't mind the slight weight penalty for the Sub 9, I'd say get that one assuming the wind data from Zipp is accurate. No experience with the Reynolds, but they make good carbon wheels and would expect that their disc is fine too.

If you are going with a Power Tap, I'd think that racing is where you really want it. Pretty sure that Zipp is now building Discs with Powertap hubs, but I didn't give it a lot of thought since I have an Ergomo Powermeter on my TT bike and I can use any wheels I have and always have power. Only drawback to Powertaps is that you have to have the hub on every wheel if you want the power data. My first powermeter was a Powertap I built on training wheels, but then realized that I wanted the power info when doing Time Trials, so went with the Ergomo when I had a new bike built for me in 2007.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input.... So here is what I am thinking, Reynolds Elements (I really have had great luck with all their products). Then bite the bullet and buy a SRM. I have wanted the SRM for years, so nows the time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.