Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put on my disc wheel last night to get ready for a race and I found it very hard to align my brake pads on the wheel without either rubbing the disc a little or the tire a little. If the disc gets rubbed, will that hurt the performance of the disc either through the rub or through wear. Is it better if it touches the tire a little bit? Is there a way around this problem? Thanks.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
psuambassador said:
I put on my disc wheel last night to get ready for a race and I found it very hard to align my brake pads on the wheel without either rubbing the disc a little or the tire a little. If the disc gets rubbed, will that hurt the performance of the disc either through the rub or through wear. Is it better if it touches the tire a little bit? Is there a way around this problem? Thanks.
Explain better please. (First, it is a rear solid disk, not a disc brake, correct?) It should adjust like any rim. Align the pads with the braking surface and then adjust the calipers so that they don't rub. - TF

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, a disc wheel not a disc break. I did as you said, however, the pad runs just a slight bit over onto the disc or if I move it over, a slight bit over onto the tire. I'm just wondering which one would be more harmful to rub or if there is a way to shave some brake pad away or something.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
psuambassador said:
Yes, a disc wheel not a disc break. I did as you said, however, the pad runs just a slight bit over onto the disc or if I move it over, a slight bit over onto the tire. I'm just wondering which one would be more harmful to rub or if there is a way to shave some brake pad away or something.
Maybe a picture? I'm still not getting it. I don't own a disk and maybe there is something different that I don't realize.

Move the pad down on the caliper arm until it cannot hit the tire no matter what you do. Adjust the cable tension (or the side-to-side) until it does not rub the rim.

TF

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
psuambassador said:
Are you saying that the brake surface is narrower than your brake pad? So it doesn't rub, but when you squeeze the brakes then you either push against the wheel or the tire. I can't solve your problem, but maybe this will help someone else get to the bottom of this.

Silas

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Not making sense

psuambassador said:

I'm with SilasCL and Turbo Turtle - I can't understand what you're saying. However, in no circumstance should you let the brake pad touch the tire. It will cut through the sidewall VERY quickly and then you'll have a sidewall blowout - not just a flat but a blowout. You NEVER want that to happen.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
asgelle said:
It sounds like he has a disk with a braking surface distinct from the disk itself (picture a wheel with box rim and spoke covers) and can't get the brake pads lined up so that they don't contact either the tire or the non-braking surface portion of the disk.

Here's an example http://www.rennmultisport.com/~rennmem/store/commerce.cgi?product=575a
Ok, then I guess that grinding down the pad or getting a narrower pad/holder would be the options. Email the company and ask what they recommend. - TF

EDIT: Or maybe just a shorter or more curved pad??? - TF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts