Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From thepaceline.com

BREAKING NEWS: 1/24 - Bruyneel announces Discovery Channel Tour of California team: Michael Barry, Janez Brajkovic, Tom Danielson, Viatchslev Ekimov, Vladimir Gusev, George Hincapie, Jason McCartney, and Paolo Savoldelli
 

·
For president!
Joined
·
7,802 Posts
fornaca68 said:
From thepaceline.com

BREAKING NEWS: 1/24 - Bruyneel announces Discovery Channel Tour of California team: Michael Barry, Janez Brajkovic, Tom Danielson, Viatchslev Ekimov, Vladimir Gusev, George Hincapie, Jason McCartney, and Paolo Savoldelli
Pretty good squad. Work for George and Tom overall? I'm guessing it's still too early for Paolo.

Silas
 

·
professional lurker
Joined
·
460 Posts
SilasCL said:
Pretty good squad. Work for George and Tom overall? I'm guessing it's still too early for Paolo.

Silas
That was my thought as well. Maybe they throw this one at Tom and Paolo and George use it to get some miles in their legs for the classics and Giro. Not a bad team at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,095 Posts
Tony Cruz signed with that America's Team or whatever it was called. I'm not even sure that it's happening. I haven't heard anything about it in quite a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
bill said:
Tony Cruz signed with that America's Team or whatever it was called. I'm not even sure that it's happening. I haven't heard anything about it in quite a while.
I was just looking at their website. Suppose to be up next month. Makes you wonder.
 

·
pinoy thunder
Joined
·
341 Posts
I just saw Tony Cruz riding in full Disco kit about a month or two ago.. :confused:
I wouldn't be surprised if Disco didn't offer him a new contract. Isn't he in his late 30's?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
608 Posts
stihl said:
I just saw Tony Cruz riding in full Disco kit about a month or two ago.. :confused:
Riders usually have to train in their old team's kit until the start of the new year, which will be the official time the contract with their new team starts.
 

·
It's in the game!
Joined
·
2,042 Posts
Contract to wear uniform till year end

stihl said:
I just saw Tony Cruz riding in full Disco kit about a month or two ago.. :confused:
I wouldn't be surprised if Disco didn't offer him a new contract. Isn't he in his late 30's?
Which is why you saw him wearing a Disco uniform up to Dec 31,2005.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I read just a couple of weeks ago that Tony Cruz signed with Frankie Andreu's new team. His Disco contract would have ended year end 2005.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
fornaca68 said:
From thepaceline.com

BREAKING NEWS: 1/24 - Bruyneel announces Discovery Channel Tour of California team: Michael Barry, Janez Brajkovic, Tom Danielson, Viatchslev Ekimov, Vladimir Gusev, George Hincapie, Jason McCartney, and Paolo Savoldelli
Looks like Disco will have "The Full American Squad". 3 Americans, 1 Canadian ...
Sad that is as good as it gets. Probably won't see all of them together at any other race this year... :(

We need a real American Pro Tour, aka Div. 1, Team with at least 50% of the riders being American!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,387 Posts
Why?

SlowBikeRacer said:
Looks like Disco will have "The Full American Squad". 3 Americans, 1 Canadian ...
Sad that is as good as it gets. Probably won't see all of them together at any other race this year... :(

We need a real American Pro Tour, aka Div. 1, Team with at least 50% of the riders being American!!!
Why? This isn't what bike racing is about. Doesn't matter what country you're registered in, what matters is that you can get the best riders for the best money and get wins. It's better to have more Americans on different teams rather than on one team. Look at CSC. Top ProTour team last year. Danish registered. How many Danes are on their team? America, for the most part, is not a cycling mad nation, and we don't have what you might call the deepest talent pool for cycling, there are plenty of other countries that do. I never understand why people think because you're an American registered team, you need to have a majority of Americans. If you want to have a piss-poor cycling team, yeah, then you could.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
magnolialover said:
Why? This isn't what bike racing is about. Doesn't matter what country you're registered in, what matters is that you can get the best riders for the best money and get wins. It's better to have more Americans on different teams rather than on one team. Look at CSC. Top ProTour team last year. Danish registered. How many Danes are on their team? America, for the most part, is not a cycling mad nation, and we don't have what you might call the deepest talent pool for cycling, there are plenty of other countries that do. I never understand why people think because you're an American registered team, you need to have a majority of Americans. If you want to have a piss-poor cycling team, yeah, then you could.
That's a good point. Even "America's" top team -- Health Net pb Maxxis -- they're not all American. Their top rider is Canadian.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
magnolialover said:
Why? This isn't what bike racing is about. Doesn't matter what country you're registered in, what matters is that you can get the best riders for the best money and get wins. It's better to have more Americans on different teams rather than on one team. Look at CSC. Top ProTour team last year. Danish registered. How many Danes are on their team? America, for the most part, is not a cycling mad nation, and we don't have what you might call the deepest talent pool for cycling, there are plenty of other countries that do. I never understand why people think because you're an American registered team, you need to have a majority of Americans. If you want to have a piss-poor cycling team, yeah, then you could.
I see your point, its not very good though.
As an American I as many others would like to see the only team we have, compete and do good with Americans. If you want, as I do Americans to watch the sport and like it then stockpile it with........Americans! Not Belgiums. I liken it to the NBA and Hockey both go down every year in popularity because fewer and fewer Americans play it. So if you want piss-poor cycling ratings and no coverage of races and no American team stockpile full of people who speak in a language we dont understand, have no idea where there country is, and all 5 cycling fans in the country can be happy, while the majority makes comments like "I followed it when Armstrong raced"
Its not always cool to argue for the sake or arguing.
 

·
Genitive Declensioner
Joined
·
12,146 Posts
Vel07 said:
I liken it to the NBA and Hockey both go down every year in popularity because fewer and fewer Americans play it. So if you want piss-poor cycling ratings and no coverage of races and no American team stockpile full of people who speak in a language we dont understand, have no idea where there country is, and all 5 cycling fans in the country can be happy, while the majority makes comments like "I followed it when Armstrong raced"

Wow, you should get right on the horn and call up the NHL and the NBA, I'm sure they will give you one fat contracting gig to expose their ratings drop......so simple, it's the stupid foreigners and their damn languages that none of us 'Mericans can understand. Dump the foreigners and the ratings will return.......Brillant stroke of genius!

It's not whether or not a team can get the best athlete, it's whether or not team can get an athlete that knows how to speak English...........

/ bummed, too old to try out....my English is pretty good
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Vel07 said:
nice try. the ratings are at an all time low. and if you think the entire prinicple behind my argument was they dont speak english this was useless.
What are you some kind of zenophobe. You need to go back to the Adrian Karsten coverage of the Tour on ESPN, where you go lots of up close and personal of the Americans in the Tour amid lots of talk about what was going on in the race, but very little actual coverage. Maybe we should take a step back to the Armstrong era, when it was prohibited for Phil, Paul or Bob to go more than 20 seconds without mentioning Lance or Lance Armstrong, like we had forgotten his name. You should be very happy the 'lympics are coming on NBC and you should get your American flag waving fix. If Americans only support the viewership necessary to bring us coverage if Americans dominate the race, then something is drastically wrong with this country.
 

·
Genitive Declensioner
Joined
·
12,146 Posts
Vel07 said:
nice try. the ratings are at an all time low. and if you think the entire prinicple behind my argument was they dont speak english this was useless.
well that was one way of interpreting what you wrote.

Ok, I just re-read your post to be sure...why don't you re-write it in some form of legible syntax and grammar and then maybe I can be sure of exactly that which I am heckling......

Until then you are coming across like a xenophobic boob....
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top