Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Thanks to all for the help with my bike. I took the easy way out, and went to the lbs to adjust my fr der. When I got home I went for a training ride.

After the ride, I was polishing my bike and felt a small rough spot on the underside of the left chain stay. I took a flashlight and shined it there and discovered a small paint chip the size of a pin prick. It is invisible to the naked eye, but can be seen with a flashlight.

My question is, should this be an issue? I paid over $3,000 for the bike, should it be perfect? Is your new Madone flawless or does it contain an imperfection here or there?

What are your standards when it comes to discovering a small paint chip in a brand new bike?

· Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, retro grouch. BTW, I may have confused you when I said I am enjoying your post about the new Madone on the general discussion forum. That post was not yours, but entitled, "Confessions of a retro grouch." Hence, my mistake.

· Registered
503 Posts
Tar -
I have a small white paint spot coming through the black coat, so mines not perfect either. What you describe might not be a chip but maybe a bubble in the clearcoat? By the way, Lemon Pledge is a great polish for your Madone.
I'm glad you took it back to your LBS for adjustment, I'm sure it took him all of a minute to correct but now you have peace of mind. You will get the hang of trimming your FD while you ride to eliminate chain rub.
So???? How is the bike? How was your ride? How far did you go? What are your impressions???? Pics??

· Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
08Madone,
I have a couple of those bubbles, they don't bother me; that's just carbon fiber, What I am describing is a small paint chip, very small. Who knows, I may have incurred it while riding myself.

I only use Pledge on my Trek carbon fiber, it works great!

· Registered
57 Posts
lol, let us know how you feel the first time your chain falls off and you get chain suck on your carbon bike. God forbid this ever happens to you like it did with me. :(

My carbon frame has a few chips here and there, its no biggie. I personally love the tire grind on the inside of my chain stays. Thats my favorite.

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
08Madone5.2 said:
You're killing me!! I want to know what your RIDING impressions are after your first training ride. Let us know, thanks.
The more he posts, the more you're gonna have to ride. You do realize this, don't you '08?? :D

Sky, within the first week I had my bike, it fell over in my garage and got maybe 5 scrapes on the seat, bar tape, front skewer... the chain jumped both the inner and outer rings (till I adjusted the FD - similar to what we discussed in another thread yesterday).... I rode through a newly paved section and could hear stones bouncing off the downtube - and that's just the stuff I remember. Point is, you bought what you bought because you have some faith and trust in the company and its products. Now it's time to ride it, enjoy it and not look back.

Put the flashlight away and go ride!! :thumbsup:

· Registered
503 Posts
PJ352 said:
The more he posts, the more you're gonna have to ride. You do realize this, don't you '08?? :D

Sky, within the first week I had my bike, it fell over in my garage and got maybe 5 scrapes on the seat, bar tape, front skewer... the chain jumped both the inner and outer rings (till I adjusted the FD - similar to what we discussed in another thread yesterday).... I rode through a newly paved section and could hear stones bouncing off the downtube - and that's just the stuff I remember. Point is, you bought what you bought because you have some faith and trust in the company and its products. Now it's time to ride it, enjoy it and not look back.

Put the flashlight away and go ride!! :thumbsup:
PJ-
I hope he has faith in his purchase by now. It might very well be the most thoroughly researched purchase ever in the history of bicycles! LOL. I hear stones bouncing off the bottom of my downtube all the time but no damage... yet. I will say again, I enjoy my 5.2 EVERY time I'm out on it, whether its an hour or 5 hours. It the Swiss Army knife of bikes, does everything well. Its a great product!

· Registered
1,346 Posts
the sky above said:
Hi. Thanks to all for the help with my bike. I took the easy way out, and went to the lbs to adjust my fr der. When I got home I went for a training ride.

After the ride, I was polishing my bike and felt a small rough spot on the underside of the left chain stay. I took a flashlight and shined it there and discovered a small paint chip the size of a pin prick. It is invisible to the naked eye, but can be seen with a flashlight.

My question is, should this be an issue? I paid over $3,000 for the bike, should it be perfect? Is your new Madone flawless or does it contain an imperfection here or there?

What are your standards when it comes to discovering a small paint chip in a brand new bike?
Although I am already regreting it, I'll bite: if you can't see it, how the hell do you know it's a paint chip? BTW, have you ever ridden or owned a bicycle before this one?

zac

· Registered
503 Posts
I must say the bike is so beautiful that when you first get it you do tend to look over every inch of it just to really take in and understand its beauty, so dont be too hard on Sky, lol.

· Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
zac said:
Although I am already regreting it, I'll bite: if you can't see it, how the hell do you know it's a paint chip? BTW, have you ever ridden or owned a bicycle before this one?

zac
I can see it, albeit with a flashlight. Yes, I've ridden some bikes before this one. It was a tiny red tricycle. Up until last year, it provided fun and faithful service.

· Registered
1,346 Posts
My post was obviously laden with sarcasm: but sky person, some of your questions transcend common sense.

The remedy for clearcoat breeches is clear nail polish. Every basic bike tool box should have a bottle. Just clean the area with a sponge and some Dawn dish detergent to clean away the oils and dirt.

Listen, RBR tends to be a friendlier place than other sites. But some of your posts seem more suited to BF, than here.

I am past 5k miles on my 6.5 this year, and will be doing a frame swap when I return home. A bike is a tool to get a job done. Take care of it, as your life depends on it, but by all means ride the heck out of it. It won't be your last bike.
zac

EDIT (omitted reason for frame swap. The builder's want it back to study it. Fine with me, I get a new frame. The point is that when you drive them hard you ding them, crack them, etc. The paint hates you, but as long as the carbon and lugs and dropouts are with you, you are good to go.)

· Darling of The Lounge
5,338 Posts
A few ounces (or grams) of prevention

If paint chips are a big concern, then take the time to apply some clear vinyl tape to the areas of the frame that would be prone to such damage.

Attached is a thread I contributed to showing what I did to help protect my old OCLV frame.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=89183

Both my carbon frames are protected, and get a re-tape every other year.

13,019 Posts
zac said:
A bike is a tool to get a job done. Take care of it, as your life depends on it, but by all means ride the heck out of it. It won't be your last bike.
zac.
Very well put..

zac said:
EDIT: omitted reason for frame swap. The builder's want it back to study it.
OK, my curiosity is piqued. Why do they want to study your frame?

· Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Retro Grouch said:
If paint chips are a big concern, then take the time to apply some clear vinyl tape to the areas of the frame that would be prone to such damage.

Attached is a thread I contributed to showing what I did to help protect my old OCLV frame.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=89183

Both my carbon frames are protected, and get a re-tape every other year.
Interestingly, Trek included in their Owner's Manual kit for the Madone some clear tape to apply where the cables rub against the frame. Kind of a nice touch.

What many of you are saying about a bike being a tool and not to worry about paint chips I can understand. I feel that way about my two old bikes, both at least 7 years old.

However, I just got my new Madone; I'm sure the honeymoon period will wear off soon.

13,019 Posts
the sky above said:
Interestingly, Trek included in their Owner's Manual kit for the Madone some clear tape to apply where the cables rub against the frame. Kind of a nice touch.

What many of you are saying about a bike being a tool and not to worry about paint chips I can understand. I feel that way about my two old bikes, both at least 7 years old.

However, I just got my new Madone; I'm sure the honeymoon period will wear off soon.
It's not so much the honeymoon wears off, it's more an acceptance that stuff's gonna happen and you have to deal with it as best you can. I rode my Serotta for 18 years and loved it from day one till now, but more has happened to it in the ten's of thousands of miles I've ridden it than I can remember. That's why I chuckled when I read your post. A paint chip? Man, that's just the beginning. And actually, what you go through with your bike over the years is what makes it a companion, of sorts. So sure, clean, wax, polish, lube, admire and experience the pride of ownership, but then go out and ride the hell out of it, and admire what it, and you, can do together.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.