Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
discovery channel/armstrong cedes tour to Jan Ulrich by 5-6 minutes.

http://www.eurosport.com/cycling/tour-de-france/2006/sport_sto815820.shtml

No tour contender for Discovery Channel?

Ivan Basso flakes out this year like Heras and Mayo?

Jan can't even keep up with Ivan. What is Lance doing opening his mouth
by making such idiotic comments? Talk about team building moral.

Or is this another one his yearly bluffs to help neutralize Jan and make him
think he doesn't have to train as hard, there by coming in out of shape again?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Ulrich.

I believe that Lance knows Ulrich better than you and me, and maybe even better than his own coach. (he, just kidding.) Ulrich will be a definite and worthy contender for the yellow jersey in France!

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Eurosport got this news from German "Bild-Zeitung" a paper that can confidently be described as gutter press. It's possible they deliberately misquoted Armstrong to stoke the "Ulle" fire in Germany.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Ulrich.

If Lance is brooding and predicting a win for Jan, then, how
can the Germans be offended? Ulrich is German! I believe
that if he hears such confident sopportive comments from
his former TDF rival, then it should but only make him more
eager and determined to train right and to pull a win this summer
in France.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You must of missed Lance's yearly bluffs to the peleton about his chances at the TdF.

ru1-2cycle said:
in France.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
ru1-2cycle said:
in France.
I meant to say that LA might not have been quite as vocal as the Bild Zeitung has let to appear. With Germanies national soccer team performing poorly and the soccer WC up in Germany this summer and Schumacher getting owned in F1 they might just need a positive story on a German sports person to keep selling their rag.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
rogger said:
I meant to say that LA might not have been quite as vocal as the Bild Zeitung has let to appear. With Germanies national soccer team performing poorly and the soccer WC up in Germany this summer and Schumacher getting owned in F1 they might just need a positive story on a German sports person to keep selling their rag.
You are absolutely right about the Bild Zeitung being basicly a trashy tabloid paper. They have a naked chick on almost every page. If the info comes from them, don't trust it.

·
Banned
608 Posts
rogger said:
and Schumacher getting owned in F1 they might just need a positive story on a German sports person to keep selling their rag.
Hey, Schumacher looked pretty good last weekend. And if Bridgestone's tires can perform well in the heat then the rest of the season looks promising. Ferrari is back.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Ulrich and the Tour

LA is setting him up again. Read the latest issue of Cyclesport to see how Jan's team talks about LA owned Ulrich. As much talent as Ulrich has, I think he is afraid to win and will find a way to lose. It wouldn't surprise me to see George finish ahead of Ulrich.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
steelbikerider said:
LA is setting him up again. Read the latest issue of Cyclesport to see how Jan's team talks about LA owned Ulrich. As much talent as Ulrich has, I think he is afraid to win and will find a way to lose. It wouldn't surprise me to see George finish ahead of Ulrich.
Same issue talks about how Jan is more fit and in better mental health than ever before...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I read that too but I'm curious that we haven't seen Ulrich in competition yet. Is there a reason? I don't dislike Ulrich, I just don't think he has a winner's mentality.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
steelbikerider said:
I read that too but I'm curious that we haven't seen Ulrich in competition yet. Is there a reason? I don't dislike Ulrich, I just don't think he has a winner's mentality.
Maybe...that's a tough one. I look at it from the other side in that anyone that's come back from being kicked down as much as he by Lance, the press, fans, and even his own team to podium that many times has some pretty good fight in him. After all, his Tour was basically over the nite before the prolog last year and he clawed back from being pretty far down in the GC. I'm hoping that he's thinking without Armstrong he knows he can win whereas for quite a few of the past Tours he had to have in the back of his mind "I can't beat him". Who knows...I'm pulling for him that's for certain...but if it comes down to Hincapie vs. Ulrich then George is my man. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts