Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
exactly

olr1 said:
Like the man said; the real reason for maturing tubs is to allow the rubber to harden a little; brand new rubber is sticky, and picks up road debris and therefore punctures, much easier. Leave your tubs in a dark room for a while, semi-inflated, and the rubber cures, hardens, and is much less sticky. The same is true for clinchers; leave them out for a while before you need them.

Before you jump down my throat to tell me this is crap, no, I don't bother myself, but that is the reason for the cellar full of tubs.
I used tubulars as far back as 1978. Aging, I always heard, was to allow the rubber to dry up a bit so that it less prone to flats. I have several $100 tubulars hanging on old rims (stretching and aging) in my garage right now.

Now, using them for a few weeks also ages them real quickly, but they are more prone to flats during that time. If you are racing on them, and you want to lessen the risk of flats as much as you can, but still have a fully rubbered tire from day one, then aging is the way to go.

I've always found that tires are most prone to flats when brand new or almost worn out, either tacky/soft or little rubber left.

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
I have an old eskimo woman chew on mine to soften them up.

Fixed said:
I used tubulars as far back as 1978. Aging, I always heard, was to allow the rubber to dry up a bit so that it less prone to flats. I have several $100 tubulars hanging on old rims (stretching and aging) in my garage right now.

Now, using them for a few weeks also ages them real quickly, but they are more prone to flats during that time. If you are racing on them, and you want to lessen the risk of flats as much as you can, but still have a fully rubbered tire from day one, then aging is the way to go.

I've always found that tires are most prone to flats when brand new or almost worn out, either tacky/soft or little rubber left.

Yep, the aging thing is to make them more puncture proof. But you have to be careful where you hang them. Don't put them near any electrical appliances because the ozone created by the motor will rot the tire.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts