Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the TT I've been thinking about what Discovery will be doing to try and put some time into Floyd.

I thinks it a given that they will try and initiate some attacks. But who do you put in them??

Azevedo was known for his attacking style before coming to Disco. Do you send him up the road and then counter with Hincapie or Popovych.

Do you take a page from the Lance years and ride such a fierce temo you hope to isolate Floyd and then attack with Popo?

It seems to me that we have a similar situation as T-Mobile with Jan, Vino, and Andreas attempting there 3 pronged attack against Lance.

If Phonak has to cover Azevedo, Hincapie, Popovych, and Sovoldelli there are gonno be hard pressed.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
They are conceding the podium spot. They realize they are too far back now.

http://www.eurosport.com/cycling/tour-de-france/2006/sport_sto923515.shtml

When the Tour de France kicked off for the prologue in Strasbourg on July 1, the question on many people's lips was that of who could stop the Discovery Channel team.

If they lacked a clear leader, then it was largely due to the fact that the American outfit was blessed with a number of riders capable of challenging for the yellow jersey.

George Hincapie and Yaroslav Popovych, freed from their duties of working for Lance Armstrong, seemed set to make their mark upon the Tour, but things have not gone according to plan.

Saturday's time-trial though, cast doubts upon the form of the entire team. Paolo Salvoldelli was the American outift's best placed rider back in 19th.

"It was definitely not the day George expected, it was not the result the team expected. We have no explanation," said Team Manager Johan Bruyneel.

"A lot of people now have the same interest as us, which means being aggressive, especially in the Pyrenees,"

Eurosport commentator Danny Nelissen expressed doubts as to whether Discovery Channel will be able to come back in the mountains, given the poor performance of so many squad members.

"Last year, Discovery Channel had four riders in the top 20, their top rider this year finished 19th. Their place has been taken by T-Mobile. They are as dominant this year as Discovery Channel were 12 months ago."

It remains to be seen whether the Discovery riders will recover their form in the mountains, though Bruyneel remains realistic:

<b><big>"Although we think we could do a great Tour de France, our chances of winning the Tour were small before the start, they are now even smaller after yesterday </b></big> but it does not mean the Tour is over." :17:

·
lint picker
139 Posts
George looked totally dejected after the time trial... not to mention more emaciated than usual. I know it's been said elsewhere, but I bet he doesn't put out the same power to the ground on the TT bike now... he is much less muscular than in prior years.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Saw on OLN

toshi said:
George looked totally dejected after the time trial... not to mention more emaciated than usual. I know it's been said elsewhere, but I bet he doesn't put out the same power to the ground on the TT bike now... he is much less muscular than in prior years.

George said that he felt that he might have eaten too early, not drank enough, and was just plain out of gas.

·
Registered
169 Posts
No Disco Dancing

I think Disco is done in the traditional sense. However, this tour is far from traditional. Outside of Floyd, the rest of the top of the GC is filled with unproven riders to contend in a grand tour. There is Menchov, and Cadel Evans and after that there are more reasons to doubt someone than to be for someone. Disco's best chance is to have thier team up at the front and hope that others start haivng the bad day that they had in the TT. Outside of Floyd, nobody is lighting up the race. They have an outside chance at something, but still no clear leader.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I think an interesting subplot (in this otherwise dull TdF) is whether Disco really will attack Floyd or tacitly help him as Johan and Lance very much want to sign him as their TdF leader for 2007 (although the pending hip surgery might change that intention). Johan knows that T-Mobile has virtually their entire team placed in the GC top 20 (or some ridiculous stat like that), so Johan knows that T-Mobile is going to attack the heck out of Floyd in waves. Who knows, maybe Johan will place a rider or two to work with Floyd as other Phonak riders get dropped on the climbs and, if anything, Disco riders counterattack attacking T-Mobile guys and go for stage wins. (See, e.g., what the Davitamon DS did for Paolo Savoldelli in the 2005 Giro on the Finestre climb getting Wim Van Huefel and Ardila to work for Paolo on that penultimate stage.)

G

·
Well, Bruyneel said they need to get into breaks and be agressive. Sounds like they'll be hunting for stage wins more than anything else. I think Disco took it easy on Sunday to help them recover (along with the rest day). Stage 9 is a flat stage, it'll be interesting to see if Disco puts anyone in a break.

G

·
Liar....

Johann B. quoted from Cyclingnews.com said:
"And there is only one way to make up for lost time -- attack and ignite the race so that no team should be able to be in control. There will be attacks from the first stage in the Pyrenees. Even if the stage does not end at a summit, there will be a lot of possibilities," he said. "We have to adopt an aggressive attitude. The wait-and-see attitude is not an option for us anymore."

Pfftt..

·
BikerFox Wannabe
696 Posts
Dicco's new strategy is....

Trying to figure out a fool proof way of sneaking their doping products into the Tour in this new era of apparent low tolerance for "medically assisted recovery processes" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge...)

I think the strange happenings in this Tour are being influenced by teams/riders not taking the kind of "chances" that were routine in the recent past.

·
lint picker
139 Posts
fornaca68 said:
I think an interesting subplot (in this otherwise dull TdF) is whether Disco really will attack Floyd or tacitly help him as Johan and Lance very much want to sign him as their TdF leader for 2007 (although the pending hip surgery might change that intention).
Not so sure about this one. Disco honchos have already come forth to say that they are not actively pursuing Floyd. Maybe it's a front, but I haven't seen or heard of any other clear indications that lead me to believe they "very much want to sign him" as their 07 captain.

·
I'm wearing 4" stilettos
205 Posts
dagger said:
Apparently their strategy is to sit back and watch someone else win.
I think they're a little confused.....at one point during today's stage there was an overhead shot of the back of the peleton, there was Gonchar surrounded by 3 discovery riders! I think those boys are so used to congregating around the guy in the yellow shirt they don't know what they're doing anymore! :D

·
BS the DC
1,426 Posts
Mocat4 said:
I think they're a little confused.....at one point during today's stage there was an overhead shot of the back of the peleton, there was Gonchar surrounded by 3 discovery riders! I think those boys are so used to congregating around the guy in the yellow shirt they don't know what they're doing anymore! :D
Someone had to protect the yellow jersey when he was going back to get water for his teammates.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.