Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been able to hit up many of the larger cross races this year.
Any "big guns" running discs this year?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I thought...
I'm working with a company on a couple of bikes and they want to do a disc-only frame/bike and I'm not so sure it's a great idea (Yea, I know it's too late for this season now, they fell a bit behind....)

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
OnTheRivet said:
I'd go with -2 as Wells had mounts but no discs, hehehehe. :D
Learn how to count buddy!
He only had disc mounts on the rear of his bike.
So that's -1.
Hmmmm...but he did have 2 bikes...
So that's -2.
What were we talking about?
If a pro rider rides a bike with disc mounts....but doesn't use discs...does anybody hear it?
And does anybody care?
I'm glad they allow discs so no one will use them ...but think of all the arguing it opens up!
+1 lap

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
adimiro said:
Most people would agree that the rulle change occured too late to see many changes for this season, but here's a peek at the future.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010...ing-hankas-disc-brake-equipped-stevens_139068
We have all seen that peek into the future.
So let's just hope in the future....the empty hydro lines don't end at the bar tape...or else we are in for a bleak future.
If you think cantis work bad....try that bike...it has no brakes( well it does have brakes....they just do not function)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I doubt whole cyclocross market isn't large enough to warrant the development if a dedicated Shimano STI/SRAM doubletap hydraulic lever set. Any way, the weight penalty is more than the fast guys are going to want to pay.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Rather than a final version, I think the message of the article is there clearly interest in developing this technology further, but the die-hard technophobes can't ever seem to get past the same old weight arguments and the tradition of the sport.

Simple, don't use discs...let's revisit this thread next year ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've used Paul's, TRP's, Avid's and a couple of others, and not one of them came close to the nasty weather performance of the BB5's I had on my old Cannondale CX bike, and those paled by comparison to the BB7's I eventually went with. It will take some time, but I feel there will be many new bikes with them in the future. 135 rear spacing (hopefully on CX disc bikes) hubs are plentiful and run the gamut of quality and pricing. What's not to love about it?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
deuxdiesel said:
I've used Paul's, TRP's, Avid's and a couple of others, and not one of them came close to the nasty weather performance of the BB5's I had on my old Cannondale CX bike, and those paled by comparison to the BB7's I eventually went with. It will take some time, but I feel there will be many new bikes with them in the future. 135 rear spacing (hopefully on CX disc bikes) hubs are plentiful and run the gamut of quality and pricing. What's not to love about it?
You could have saved yourself a whole lotta typing by reading the OP's question.
The answer is Zero....or -1....or -2...depending on the math.

·
Registered
840 Posts
davidka said:
I doubt whole cyclocross market isn't large enough to warrant the development if a dedicated Shimano STI/SRAM doubletap hydraulic lever set. Any way, the weight penalty is more than the fast guys are going to want to pay.
Shimano just needs to turn the old XTR dual controls 90 degrees. :D

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
davidka said:
. Any way, the weight penalty is more than the fast guys are going to want to pay.
If the fast guys need to add some weight to their uberlight CX carbon bikes, I think adding discs is a logical next step. A 15lb bike with discs is more desirable than a 15lb bike with cantis.......IMO.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,505 Posts
+1 ^ what the mayor said ^
while i'm sure you'll be able to buy more "cx" bikes w/ disc brakes next year than you can this year, i'm also pretty sure you won't see any pro/elite racers using them. canti's work fine for racing, they provide the slowing power that a racer needs. what most people don't take into account when ranting on and on about disc brakes and racers, is that w/ the limited traction of a 32mm tire, combined w/ the non-existent need to slow down very much while racing...disc brakes will over-power the traction of the tire. they're overkill.

if you're riding your "cx" bike like a mtb, completely different story.

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
cxwrench said:
+1 ^ what the mayor said ^
while i'm sure you'll be able to buy more "cx" bikes w/ disc brakes next year than you can this year, i'm also pretty sure you won't see any pro/elite racers using them. canti's work fine for racing, they provide the slowing power that a racer needs. what most people don't take into account when ranting on and on about disc brakes and racers, is that w/ the limited traction of a 32mm tire, combined w/ the non-existent need to slow down very much while racing...disc brakes will over-power the traction of the tire. they're overkill.

if you're riding your "cx" bike like a mtb, completely different story.

So what if you can overpower your tires. Cantis can probably over power their tires also, but people still run cantis. Weight aside, discs modulate far better, and are consistant. Again, two 15lbs bikes.........do you want the one that modulates better in all conditions or the one that doesn't

FWIW, I've raced CX on 31c tires on discs, in snow and mud, and never "overpowered" my tires. The simple reason is because I control the brakes and I choose not to overpower my tires. Anyone who complains about "overpowering" tires doesn't get it. Unlike cantis, I don't have to grab a handful of brakes everytime I want to slow down in the crappy mud/snow because my brakes consistantly grab the same just about all time. I also don't have that moment where you have to wait for your rims to clear themselves of junk AND then decide to stop.

This is getting kind of silly. No one really expected any pros to be on discs this year because there just aren't any bikes. PLUS, the rules changed way too close to the season. I give it two years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts