Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of right now the stage isn't finished, and Cancellara just came in with a best time, barely. I don't think he's going to hold it though. He might not even get top 3. I have a feeling Evans and Valverde will both beat him, along with one or more other people.

Sounds like the course isn't as flat as we might have thought. Perfect for Valverde. Even Cunego posted a decent time as of right now. So did Menchov, but that is to be expected.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Cancellera rode as well as he could teh wind died down for Shumucker (yes I don't like him) and he had near perfect conditions. Miller did a good ride and managed to make up a lot time at the end but not enough to win. Evans was solid and Valverde defended well not sure he lost anything he can't gain back in the MTNs as much as I am pulling for Evans. those new bikes that Giant made for Columbia are freaky looking.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
twiggy said:
I can't believe Schumacher won...that guy is a jerk.....arrested for drunk driving, some suspicious test result while back, etc etc.....its a shame he managed to beat the champions of the TT!
a drunk driving arrest or 2 seems to be a common trait of some fairly successful riders. I can think of ullrich and boonen off the top of my head.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
i picked millar, too. fabian will most likely win the next ITT. heck, he might even win the next stage.

so far, this has been a good tour (after 4 days). other than thor, there really hasnt been a "standard" stage thus far. the break keeping away yesterday was nice, and the shake up with the ITT has things still mixed up.

the favorites are staying close to the front, so no real "i cant believe he is sucking so much!" except maybe menchov. i think the worst is soler getting hurt. just makes more room for "the cobra" to nab the polka dots from the french housewife favorite.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guess the Yellow didn't help Feillu at all...5 mins down on the stage. Ouch.

Playing monday morning quarterback, I guess it's not all surprising that Cancellara was a bit off. When he attacked in stage 2 it looked like he lacked that little extra.

I'm actually a bit surprised that Valverde finished as far down as he did. He better reign supreme in the mountains, because the last TT is over 50km I believe. He really will need several minutes.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
weltyed said:
i picked millar, too. fabian will most likely win the next ITT. heck, he might even win the next stage.

so far, this has been a good tour (after 4 days). other than thor, there really hasnt been a "standard" stage thus far. the break keeping away yesterday was nice, and the shake up with the ITT has things still mixed up.

the favorites are staying close to the front, so no real "i cant believe he is sucking so much!" except maybe menchov. i think the worst is soler getting hurt. just makes more room for "the cobra" to nab the polka dots from the french housewife favorite.
RE: Menchov
What do you mean? He got caught in a bad spot because of a crash yesterday, and he had a great ride today. (6th @ 34s back). I think he's going to "bring it" this tour. Podium shot for sure ...

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
twiggy said:
I think the real winner today was David Millar, who showed for one of the first times since his re-introduction tha he's got what i takes, even without his old friend EPO.
He did win a TT stage in the Vuelta, the year he came back. But you are right, aside from that, he hasn't been quite the elite TTer that he once was. So today's result is nice to see.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Einstruzende said:
RE: Menchov
What do you mean? He got caught in a bad spot because of a crash yesterday, and he had a great ride today. (6th @ 34s back). I think he's going to "bring it" this tour. Podium shot for sure ...
Actually he more than got caught the Rabo DS said they discussed that part of the course and the dangers of the win and the roads and Menchove let him self get shuffled to the back in the descent bad bike racing.

G

·
papisimo9807 said:
I LOVED the F BOMB that Vaughters let slip while being question during Millar's TT. Freakin' hilarious!
paz afuera
That was a surprise, no beep-out! I wish Robbie had just shut up and lets us watch the in car action. I don't think Vaughters will be taking anyone with a camera and mike on board for a long time...

·
Registered
268 Posts
AJL said:
That was a surprise, no beep-out! I wish Robbie had just shut up and lets us watch the in car action. I don't think Vaughters will be taking anyone with a camera and mike on board for a long time...
Wonder boy Robbie really gets on my nerves. Reminds me of the Geico ads. "This is a real Directeur Sportif, he's not very exciting, so we hired an overly enthusiastic coach to throw his hands around and make everything sound interesting".

Also reminds me of those Taco Bell (?) ads where the two clods are in the car and say stupid things about food. Ends up with one of them getting clobbered on the head with a taco or something.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.