Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do I use a dishing tool? I checked park instructions, but picture is not so clear. There is a knob. From where to where do I measure? Is this more accurate than turning wheel over in the fork?

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
steel515 said:
how do I use a dishing tool? I checked park instructions, but picture is not so clear. There is a knob. From where to where do I measure? Is this more accurate than turning wheel over in the fork?
First, always do it the same place each time.

Place the end of the bolt (other end of the knob) on the hub lock nut surface. Position one end of the tool on the rim and hold it tight. Turn the knob until the other end of the tool is a couple millimeters from the rim. Turn the knob counterclockwise a little bit at a time. After each turn, tap on the end of the tool that you are not holding. If you hear it hitting the rim (i.e. there is still a gap), turn the knob a little more. Continue until you no longer hear it hitting the rim. Secure the tools lock nut so that the knob cannot move.

Now turn the rim over, remembering to measure the same two spots on the rim. If there is a gap between the bolt and the hub lock nut, the rim is too far in this direction (the spokes on the other side need to be tightened). If there is a gap between the tool and the rim, tighten the spokes on this side to pull the rim over.

When you get real close, you should back the knob off a few times and make sure you get it where the tapping just makes no sound. Play with it a bit.

TF

· hello
3,395 Posts
Al1943 said:
You can accurately dish a wheel be reversing it on a truing stand as many times as is needed while adjusting the spokes and truing the wheel.

Al
Although I have a dishing tool, this is the method I use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.