Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DIY polar HRM mount idea...(fixed images)

I was just sitting around brainstorming on a new computer mount idea, as the polar handlebar mount is a bulky, awkward thing, and here's what I came up with. Feel free to use/improve/criticise as you see fit.

Here's the stem mount.

This design sets the profile kind of high, but not much more than the OEM polar design.

Here's the same design mounted on the top tube.

Mounted here, I think is a little more aero and aesthetic. It might not work here if you have external top tube cable routing.

And for the weight weenies...

VS.

Yep, almost 40 grams lighter.

Here's what you need:

Yeah, I know the staples are ghetto, but I couldn't find my sewing kit (wife). You just need a small piece of velcro that will fit between the existing watch band pins. This velcros around the wide horizontal band that straps around the stem/top tube shown here:

If you look at this velcro band, you'll see a piece of foam stitched to the buckle portion. This acts as a movement stopper and frame protector. I just found this one laying around the house. I don't know where it came from, but it worked perfectly. You could make one of these very easily with supplies from any walmart or hardware store. This design benefits me because it is very easily bike-swappable. It takes just seconds for me to switch it to my mountain bike. It also doesn't mess with the brake/derailleur cables that route along the handlebar like the OEM polar one does. Mounted on the top tube, it also brings the watch closer to my sensors, resulting in better reception. I have my speed sensor attached to my left chainstay so I can view progress while riding my indoor trainer. Here is a pic of my sensor setup:

If you have any improvement ideas on my sensor setup, please share those with me as well.

There are several drawbacks to this setup. It is not as rigid as the polar mount, so you can't just one-finger the side buttons. However it is more stable than you'd think. Some people might dislike the raised profile, but it doesn't bother me, and it's just a few mm more than the OEM polar mount. Anyhow, it works great for me and my current setup. If just one person finds this post helpful I wouldn't have wasted my time. I welcome any and comments/criticism. This is my first DIY post and my first post with images so please attempt to resist your desire to flame.

·
Banned
608 Posts
I just fold an Ace bandage lengthwise and wrap it around my bars until I get something that is large enough to cinch the wrist strap around.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the idea. My friend just got a new bike and was thinking about mounting ideas for his Polar. I'll forward this on to him as well. I was always curious if you could run the speed sensor off the back wheel. Appreciate the effort.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Foam pipe wrap insulation. It's black and has a slit down the side. Comes in several sizes. Cut off a piece and put it on whatever tube you want to mount your HRM on. Use the original wrist strap and strap it over the insulation.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I currently have my Polar HRM set up on the top tube with velcro exactly like that. Tried the stem set up but there wasn't enough room for both the computer and the HRM.

Since I look at the computer more I switched to the top tube. Added benefit is that when racing I don't see my HR and psche myself out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Pictures?

capt_phun said:
I wanted it removable so cable ties were out. I then tried the sewing of velco, buckles, then I saw double sided velcro. $3 later and it has so many uses since.
Would you be willing to post some pics? I'm inerested in moving my Polar S720 to the stem and would like to see your setup. How stable is it on bumpy road surfaces? Would hate to lose my HRM.

Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think it depends on the size of your bike. It works fine on my wife's 54-ish Giant TCR, but I don't think it'll work on my 60 Orbea Orca. You can always boost the speed sensor signal doing the jumper trick. That's how I get my cadence sensor to work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great idea! Since I never wear the HRM as a watch this is perfect.

Instead of using a piece of velcro on the watch pins, I attached 2 zap ties and pulled them tight between the pins. Running the other velcro piece through the ties I can easily position the HRM on either the stem (road bike) or the top tube (TT bike). The two ties also stabilize the HRM on the round tube (instead of using foam).

Again, thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Great DIY tip. I have the Polar S720i as well. However, I'd like to keep the strap on the watch since I use the HRM on the threadmill as well as on spin cycles.

I also have flat top bars so the set-up is really awkward at the moment.

Thoughts?

:cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.