Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about $5 and a bunch of wood scraps later...

It may not be the prettiest thing ever, but I'm not complaining. It does its job, and I just saved a ton of money on my... truing stand!

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Very nice.

One thing that I was thinking is why couldn't you not just flip your bike upside down and use the brake pads for guides or replace the pad with a little nut & bolt?

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
nice. How do you accommodate your wider rear hub?

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Blue CheeseHead said:
One thing that I was thinking is why couldn't you not just flip your bike upside down and use the brake pads for guides or replace the pad with a little nut & bolt?
That's pretty much what they used to do...

G

·
JustTooBig said:
nice. How do you accommodate your wider rear hub?

The bolts on the right hand side upright are in a slotted groove.

BTW - Thanx very much for the info, both kids have gone to the YLC session.

It helped.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
toomanybikes said:
The bolts on the right hand side upright are in a slotted groove
yup! lots of slots to adjust to different hubs and rim sizes.

And yeah, I was using the flip the bike over method for a long time, but was just getting annoyed with it and decided id rather have a dedicated truing stand.

·
Registered
951 Posts
livin4lax09 said:
yup! lots of slots to adjust to different hubs and rim sizes.

And yeah, I was using the flip the bike over method for a long time, but was just getting annoyed with it and decided id rather have a dedicated truing stand.
How do you adjust for roundness?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
roundness? like wheel hops? If that's what you mean, you just move the metal pieces farther away from the hub and extend them so they're touching the top of the rim... if that makes sense.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
For $5, I wouldn't be so bugged with looks. Great job and it's got pretty much everything from the adjustability to the wrench hangars.

You could always mess around with whenever you got extra time. Paint and whatnot, But regardless, pretty cool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts